Has anyone ever tutored for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sirius Black

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing just that this summer. If you have tutored, what was your score, and how did you find "tutees" (people to be tutored by you?) :) Also, how much did you charge?

For those of you who haven't tutored, but would consider getting tutored for the MCAT privately (by someone who got a 29 O), how much would you be willing to pay? I was thinking of charging $5 an hour. Is that too much/too little/just right?

Members don't see this ad.

I've done alot of tutoring, in particular for ochem. I guess the amount you charge depends on your expertise and your credentials. When I first started tutoring (the quarterafter I finished), I charged $10 and had way too many people that wanted help. I actually had to take down signs and stop accepting new students (except for the good looking girls, of course). By the time I stopped, I was charging $25, I was a grad student working on my MS, had 3-4 years of tutoring experience, and a year or so of TAing. I didn't have as many students (which was fine w/ me) but it worked out. If you're good at what you do, you'll never have a shortage of students and they'll tell their friends about you and you'll have plenty of clientele. The best part about private tutoring though... ALL cash, non-taxable, and on YOUR time schedule!

BTW... you don't have to tell people how you did on the MCAT. If you truly are a superstar at one particular subject and can effectively teach stuff, your students will think you're a genius and got a 15 on it. No one is going to ask for a copy or your mcat scores prior to teaching (unless you work for a company like kaplan or something)... I only got an 11 on the BS portion but I can guarantee I aced the 20-22/77 ochem questions i got on my test). And no one ever questioned me about my scores. If you're good, no one will care or doubt your abilities.

well, to be honest, i would not choose to be tutored by someone who got a 29O, regardless of the price. i think that you would lose credibility in some of your student's eyes. you may be a great teacher of the science, but i think a typical student would expect their teacher to totally rock the test.

nevertheless, $5/hr is ludicrously cheap for a tutor, and if you are good, you should be able to charge more.

the above poster is right though, no one is making you disclose your scores