1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Has anyone ever tutored for the MCAT?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Sirius Black, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm thinking about doing just that this summer. If you have tutored, what was your score, and how did you find "tutees" (people to be tutored by you?) :) Also, how much did you charge?

For those of you who haven't tutored, but would consider getting tutored for the MCAT privately (by someone who got a 29 O), how much would you be willing to pay? I was thinking of charging $5 an hour. Is that too much/too little/just right?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. babinski bob

babinski bob Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I've done alot of tutoring, in particular for ochem. I guess the amount you charge depends on your expertise and your credentials. When I first started tutoring (the quarterafter I finished), I charged $10 and had way too many people that wanted help. I actually had to take down signs and stop accepting new students (except for the good looking girls, of course). By the time I stopped, I was charging $25, I was a grad student working on my MS, had 3-4 years of tutoring experience, and a year or so of TAing. I didn't have as many students (which was fine w/ me) but it worked out. If you're good at what you do, you'll never have a shortage of students and they'll tell their friends about you and you'll have plenty of clientele. The best part about private tutoring though... ALL cash, non-taxable, and on YOUR time schedule!

BTW... you don't have to tell people how you did on the MCAT. If you truly are a superstar at one particular subject and can effectively teach stuff, your students will think you're a genius and got a 15 on it. No one is going to ask for a copy or your mcat scores prior to teaching (unless you work for a company like kaplan or something)... I only got an 11 on the BS portion but I can guarantee I aced the 20-22/77 ochem questions i got on my test). And no one ever questioned me about my scores. If you're good, no one will care or doubt your abilities.

4. IndyZX

7+ Year Member

well, to be honest, i would not choose to be tutored by someone who got a 29O, regardless of the price. i think that you would lose credibility in some of your student's eyes. you may be a great teacher of the science, but i think a typical student would expect their teacher to totally rock the test.

nevertheless, $5/hr is ludicrously cheap for a tutor, and if you are good, you should be able to charge more.

5. IndyZX

7+ Year Member

the above poster is right though, no one is making you disclose your scores