Has anyone ever used graduedit for their personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vanessa Taylor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum just heard about it their my health advisor. Has anyone heard of graduedit? If so, how would you rate it?
Here's an overview:
GraduEdit is the only online service to offer application essay editing exclusively by currently enrolled Harvard Ph.D. candidates

I don't care how much they charge but just want to know if its good.

Members don't see this ad.

Vanessa Taylor said:
I'm new to the forum just heard about it their my health advisor. Has anyone heard of graduedit? If so, how would you rate it?
Here's an overview:
GraduEdit is the only online service to offer application essay editing exclusively by currently enrolled Harvard Ph.D. candidates

I would personally use an english professor and save my $300 or whatever it costs. At least that way they can give advice and tell you what to add or take out and not just edit it.

i would actually consider this cheating. paying for a service to alter your personal statement is just wrong in my opinion. it kinda takes the word "personal" out of personal statement. i have no doubt that dental schools would look down on it if they knew. chances are they probably wouldn't know, but some schools do have writing samples at the interview to compare your writing style to your personal statement. it's just not a good start! i agree with a previous poster. write it and sit down with an english prof. this way you can get suggestions w/o having someone do the work for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vanessa Taylor said:
Here's an overview:

Vanessa, Vanessa, Vanessa...If I can sit down and write it, I know you can girl! It's not too bad but if you feel like ya have to..then fine, DO IT. But it's not going to be original. Don't they charge like alot of money? Anyways, good luck. Another thing is...there is great people on the forum that can probably help...ask around you might run into some awesome peole...I did and appreciate them.

PickMe said:
i would actually consider this cheating. paying for a service to alter your personal statement is just wrong in my opinion. it kinda takes the word "personal" out of personal statement. i have no doubt that dental schools would look down on it if they knew. chances are they probably wouldn't know, but some schools do have writing samples at the interview to compare your writing style to your personal statement. it's just not a good start! i agree with a previous poster. write it and sit down with an english prof. this way you can get suggestions w/o having someone do the work for you.

Your being ridiculous to think of this as cheating. If someone wrote you essay for you, then it would be disingenuous to claim the work as your own. But professionals and non-professionals use editing services all the time, and the word "personal" still applies to their work. Is Steven King any less of a writer because he has an editor? An editor simply "edits" your work. He or she does not write your work for you. Hence, it is still ones own work. Not everyone is gifted at writing. Perhaps they have good ideas that simply need to be rearanged in to something coherent. In my opinion, if you have the money and you need the help, use the service.

PickMe said:

I'm not sure you understand what these services do. They are not here to alter your personal statement or write it for you. They are there to critique your statement and offer suggestions on how you can make the essay better. They bring up any grammar/spelling mistakes and tell you what sections could be elaborated on. I think it's any different from getting help from a professor, although a professor would be a lot better in my opinion. You can sit down and discuss your statement face to face, and its FREE. :)

tissy said:
Vanessa, Vanessa, Vanessa...If I can sit down and write it, I know you can girl! It's not too bad but if you feel like ya have to..then fine, DO IT. But it's not going to be original. Don't they charge like alot of money? Anyways, good luck. Another thing is...there is great people on the forum that can probably help...ask around you might run into some awesome peole...I did and appreciate them.

First of all, it's true. If tissy can write an essay, anyone can!

And secondly, tissy is right. There are great people on this forum. Just ask tissy about me. :oops:

And if you ever need a manicure, I hear tissy gives a mean French tip. And she also knows all the words and dance steps to every single Backstreet Boys video ever made :eek:

I had a friend who was an English major do all my editing. It did not cost me a penny.

As far as cheating goes.... It is NOT cheating. You really have to have your essay edited. Sometimes thoughts that you feel are clear are not so clear to the reader. Think about it... Pretty much anything that is published is edited. If editing is cheating then Stephen King is a fraud.
-C

i just dont think dental schools would prefer to have an applicant that used the service. if you need a $300 editting service to get into dental school, good luck in the future.

PickMe said:

Hey PICKME, I agree with you. However, with all the dental and physicians that get their kids in dental school by making phone calls and donating money...........I SAY IF YOU HAVE TO DO THIS TO GET IN, WHATEVER.

EVERYONE ELSE ISNT PLAYIN FAIR.

lol.....now they have online pers. statement editing services!?...lol i think you're a piece of work. most of us have used friends to edit statements. but what do you know? i kinda agree with starvinstudent though...

here is a fair representation of tissy's writing and communication skills:

there IS great people on the forum that can probably help...ask around you might run into some awesome peole...I did AND appreciate them.

lol tissy...you rock....

Audio said:
First of all, it's true. If tissy can write an essay, anyone can!

And secondly, tissy is right. There are great people on this forum. Just ask tissy about me. :oops:

And if you ever need a manicure, I hear tissy gives a mean French tip. And she also knows all the words and dance steps to every single Backstreet Boys video ever made :eek:

+pity+ "Here we go again!!" See Vanessa, as you can see people agree if I can write one you can. Just PM Audio...he offers great services... not just for editing..ask him about his other services.believe me you won't be disappointed.

However, I'm so sorry Audio lied about me doing manuicures...I actually don't get my nails done since I'm a dental assistant...polish is off limits. Therefore, I never learned how to do french tips. Audio always get people confused so don't mind him. Oh, I do have to point out something. Audio was on American Idol singing backstreet boys and I was actually his dance trainer for the show. He did really well but always forgot the steps..shame on you Audio..that's why you got kicked off the first round.

Okay forum, don't overwhelm Audio on his service. I was actually being a smarty pants. :horns:

tissy said:
+pity+ "Here we go again!!" See Vanessa, as you can see people agree if I can write one you can. Just PM Audio...he offers great services... not just for editing..ask him about his other services.believe me you won't be disappointed.

However, I'm so sorry Audio lied about me doing manuicures...I actually don't get my nails done since I'm a dental assistant...polish is off limits. Therefore, I never learned how to do french tips. Audio always get people confused so don't mind him. Oh, I do have to point out something. Audio was on American Idol singing backstreet boys and I was actually his dance trainer for the show. He did really well but always forgot the steps..shame on you Audio..that's why you got kicked off the first round.

Okay forum, don't overwhelm Audio on his service. I was actually being a smarty pants. :horns:

Oh tissy! Just having some fun. No need to get your leopard print thong in a bunch :oops:

Audio said:
Oh tissy! Just having some fun. No need to get your leopard print thong in a bunch :oops:

Of all people Audio..you should be the one to see a smile on my face typing. I thought you would know my personality by now... :cool: "all that we've been through"...LOL You will learn someday one of my future dentist of America and Toronto.-k-

tissy said:
Of all people Audio..you should be the one to see a smile on my face typing. I thought you would know my personality by now... :cool: "all that we've been through"...LOL You will learn someday one of my future dentist of America and Toronto.-k-

OMG Tissy, I think you're the coolest. Seriously :eek:

they barely even read ur PS. they breeze through it before ur interview...it's not even that big of a deal if u have good stats.

starbright said:
they barely even read ur PS. they breeze through it before ur interview...it's not even that big of a deal if u have good stats.

I agree. At Penn, I'm sure Dr. DeRossi didn't even read through my PS. We just sat there and talked about sports and he made fun of Canadians. If you have decent stats, I don't think most schools grill you unless that's their policy. They more just want to see if you're normal!

Vanessa Taylor said:
Here's an overview:

hey, I tell you what. I will read and edit yours and give you a copy of mine for $50.00

It worked for me and I was complemented about it in my interview.

Audio said:
I agree. At Penn, I'm sure Dr. DeRossi didn't even read through my PS. We just sat there and talked about sports and he made fun of Canadians. If you have decent stats, I don't think most schools grill you unless that's their policy. They more just want to see if you're normal!

Well, Dr. DeRossi might be an exception to the rule. I'm actually surprised he didn't make fun of Democrats while he was at it. (For those of you who haven't met him, it's all in good nature, so worry not.)

If you feel like an editing service can be of some help to you, then give it a shot. Personally, I let friends, relatives, my advisor and other professors have at it. Since those people knew me personally they had a good idea of what I was trying to say in some instances and had better advice for me.

In the end I used some of their suggestions, but more often I felt more comfortable with my own words. Do what works for you!

William Olympus said:
Well, Dr. DeRossi might be an exception to the rule. I'm actually surprised he didn't make fun of Democrats while he was at it. (For those of you who haven't met him, it's all in good nature, so worry not.)

If you feel like an editing service can be of some help to you, then give it a shot. Personally, I let friends, relatives, my advisor and other professors have at it. Since those people knew me personally they had a good idea of what I was trying to say in some instances and had better advice for me.

In the end I used some of their suggestions, but more often I felt more comfortable with my own words. Do what works for you!

Yeah, Dr. DeRossi was great :D