Has anyone ever.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MeMyselfI

MeMyselfI
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever taken the August MCAT as a first time MCAT taker, did poorly on the exam, retook it in April, did well, and was still accepted to Med school the following school year. Does this happen?

Members don't see this ad.

MeMyselfI said:
Has anyone ever taken the August MCAT as a first time MCAT taker, did poorly on the exam, retook it in April, did well, and was still accepted to Med school the following school year. Does this happen?

I did poorly in August MCAT. I re-took it in April, improved (wouldn't consider well). I'm waiting to hear from schools. I'm sure it happens. There are a lot of re-applicants here on SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
dr.z said:
I did poorly in August MCAT. I re-took it in April, improved (wouldn't consider well). I'm waiting to hear from schools. I'm sure it happens. There are a lot of re-applicants here on SDN.

I guess I should be a little more clear about this. I have applied to several schools(ie AMCAS app. + secondaries), did poorly on the Aug. MCAT as a first time MCAT taker, and will be retaking in April. Do I still have a chance of being accepted next school year, if I do well in April? Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice?

MeMyselfI said:
I guess I should be a little more clear about this. I have applied to several schools(ie AMCAS app. + secondaries), did poorly on the Aug. MCAT as a first time MCAT taker, and will be retaking in April. Do I still have a chance of being accepted next school year, if I do well in April? Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice?

I applied to a few schools last year with a <30 MCAT, and got interviewed and accepted by one and interviewed and waitlisted at the other. Ultimately I got a rejection letter in June from the school I was waitlisted at. When I got my April score back, which was 35+, I sent it to them anyway, and they re-reviewed me and accepted me in July. I think this is a really rare phenomenon though, and I fully expected to be reapplying this year (which I am anyway, since I am deferred openly at one school and couldn't move so last minute to the other school). Also, the new MCAT score really opened doors for me in terms of which schools I would be a competitive candidate at, so I was ok with reapplying. This process is crazy though. The school that interviewed/waitlisted/rejected/accepted me last cycle has been interviewing since September and just recently sent me an interview invitation. I mean, I was accepted there last year...

I would say don't count on it, but it is not impossible.

:)Treg

Treg said:
I applied to a few schools last year with a <30 MCAT, and got interviewed and accepted by one and interviewed and waitlisted at the other. Ultimately I got a rejection letter in June from the school I was waitlisted at. When I got my April score back, which was 35+, I sent it to them anyway, and they re-reviewed me and accepted me in July. I think this is a really rare phenomenon though, and I fully expected to be reapplying this year (which I am anyway, since I am deferred openly at one school and couldn't move so last minute to the other school). Also, the new MCAT score really opened doors for me in terms of which schools I would be a competitive candidate at, so I was ok with reapplying. This process is crazy though. The school that interviewed/waitlisted/rejected/accepted me last cycle has been interviewing since September and just recently sent me an interview invitation. I mean, I was accepted there last year...

I would say don't count on it, but it is not impossible.

:)Treg

Thanks, Treg. I am going to PM you.