Has anyone gone from undergrad--->active duty military---->dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mao_Mao123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I just wanted to know if anyone has has taken this route. If so, how did you prepare for the DAT while in the military?
**This question does not pertain to HPSP scholarship recipients. I'm specifically asking the former enlisted/commissioned dental students or dentists.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to dental school while i was an active duty enlisted soldier. I joined the military after graduating from undergraduate and severed for 3 years.

how did you prepare for the DAT while in the military? - I studied after work. I also used my lunchtime to solve some DAT questions.

The hardest part was to get leave or pass signed for the interview. My senior NCO hated that. Fortunately, my commander was really supportive and he signed all my leave and pass request for the interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I also went to dental school after being enlisted. I studied for the DAT for 2 hours every morning before work and all day every weekend. I couldn’t study after work because things were too hectic at home with my kids.
I studied during days off, and at one point I think I went on leave for a week because I had use or lose days and just studied. I’m pretty sure my wife hated me during this time but it all worked out.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to dental school while i was an active duty enlisted soldier. I joined the military after graduating from undergraduate and severed for 3 years.

how did you prepare for the DAT while in the military? - I studied after work. I also used my lunchtime to solve some DAT questions.

The hardest part was to get leave or pass signed for the interview. My senior NCO hated that. Fortunately, my commander was really supportive and he signed all my leave and pass request for the interview.
How were you able to leave after 3 years?

I also went to dental school after being enlisted. I studied for the DAT for 2 hours every morning before work and all day every weekend. I couldn’t study after work because things were too hectic at home with my kids.
I studied during days off, and at one point I think I went on leave for a week because I had use or lose days and just studied. I’m pretty sure my wife hated me during this time but it all worked out.
What material(s) did you use? I think my biggest fear is losing my knowledge of the basic sciences.

What material(s) did you use? I think my biggest fear is losing my knowledge of the basic sciences.
I used the usual, Bootcamp, Destroyer, and a little Khan Academy when necessary. I didn’t want a lot of different resources, I just wanted to focus in on proficiency in those resources.

I got selected for HPSP. HPSP contract overrides the enlisted contract.
Oh okay. Were you competing against everyone in the U.S. or only other military applicants to get the scholarship?

I used the usual, Bootcamp, Destroyer, and a little Khan Academy when necessary. I didn’t want a lot of different resources, I just wanted to focus in on proficiency in those resources.
How many years did you serve?

Oh okay. Were you competing against everyone in the U.S. or only other military applicants to get the scholarship?
Competing against every other applicant. But i am sure that my military experience boosted my application somewhat and I had a letter of recommendation from COL (commander of dental HQ)

Reactions: 1 user
Competing against every other applicant. But i am sure that my military experience boosted my application somewhat and I had a letter of recommendation from COL (commander of dental HQ)
What was your MOS, if you don't mind me asking.