Has anyone gone through the app process while on chemo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Revilla

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any personal stories out there? I'd rather not put it off a year, but I don't want to apply and then be too sick to do interviews should I be fortunate enough to get some. I don't want adcoms to see me looking sick or losing my hair either. I'm looking at wigs and I know a lot of great make-up tricks so hopefully that'll work.

By the way, I know some of the replies I'm likely to get and I thank you for that, but I've thought long and hard about this. I know my health comes first, believe me. I had my breakdown, my bout with denial, etc., and I'm now nearing acceptance. I'm going to make it through this and when I do, I'd prefer to be right on-track to becoming a doctor.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a troll, but thanks anyway.

My doctor said it should be okay, so long as I schedule interviews in between treatments (treatments are once a month). He said most people are sick for the first several days and then feel better until the next treatment.

I just want to know if anyone else has dealt with this to advise me from a personal standpoint. I only want to apply once and if I'm better off waiting a year, then I'll wait a year.

I'm not a troll, but thanks anyway.

My doctor said it should be okay, so long as I schedule interviews in between treatments (treatments are once a month). He said most people are sick for the first several days and then feel better until the next treatment.

I just want to know if anyone else has dealt with this to advise me from a personal standpoint. I only want to apply once and if I'm better off waiting a year, then I'll wait a year.

I don't know anyone going through the app cycle on chemo, but I've watched my Aunt go through chemo and do most everything she usually would. Yes, the first few days after a treatment are bad, and she usually isn't up to much at that point, but the rest of the month she gets up and goes really well.

I don't know anyone going through the app cycle on chemo, but I've watched my Aunt go through chemo and do most everything she usually would. Yes, the first few days after a treatment are bad, and she usually isn't up to much at that point, but the rest of the month she gets up and goes really well.

Thank you so much! Did she look sick in between treatments (dark circles, thin, etc.)? In other words, was she noticeably ill?

Thank you so much! Did she look sick in between treatments (dark circles, thin, etc.)? In other words, was she noticeably ill?
I had a famly member go through it too, and other than the days right after treatment, she was fine. She bought a very "convincing" wig so that nobody noticed. She actually gained some weight (+10-15 lbs) but nothing too noticeable. Hopefully, you will be fine! Good luck!!! :luck:

Thanks so much guys for sharing!

How "bad" is your cancer?

If you have a high chance of survival, then by all means, go interview.

Going to interviews while undergoing treatment will show, among other things, tenacity. Kind of like getting a good GPA. But deadlier.

If you have a low chance of survival, you should wait until you enter remission.

If you have a low chance of survival, you should wait until you enter remission.

I think that's kind of a personal decision.

How "bad" is your cancer?

If you have a high chance of survival, then by all means, go interview.

Going to interviews while undergoing treatment will show, among other things, tenacity. Kind of like getting a good GPA. But deadlier.

I'd have to respectfully disagree. Chances of survival are of course not 100% by any means for any disease. People can be given prognosis of weeks and go on to live long lives. Just because you aren't given the best out look does not mean you should go curl up in a hole.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd have to respectfully disagree. Chances of survival are of course not 100% by any means for any disease. People can be given prognosis of weeks and go on to live long lives. Just because you aren't given the best out look does not mean you should go curl up in a hole.

Whoa.

Nope, she looked pretty normal, certainly nothing make up couldn't help with. There are some amazing wigs these days, I think you will have no problem keeping a healthy image.

I hope you know how amazing you are to be pushing through such a horrible thing. I wish you the best of luck in this cycle! (but please don't take a spot from me!)

I'm totally cheering for you, Revilla *\O/* Rock on!

I know that some random internet guy isn't going to make you change your mind. That said, personally, I would wait. I found the interview trips (especially cross country flights) to be extremely taxing and I doubt that chemotherapy will help in any way. That said, I wish you the best both in the outcome of your treatment and in your application process (should you choose to apply this year).

Well, I'd be honored to be in an incoming class with you. Just make sure you weigh all the alternatives and their outcomes. The interview season is emotionally draining and combined with the situation you are in it may be best to wait a year. I do feel that the ordeal will make you a much stronger and mature person than others on the trail. I also believe that it will highlight your dedication.

The only possible downside I could see is that you will more than likely talk about this at interviews, especially if you reflect on it in secondaries or a personal statement. That said, admissions are looking for students that will commit and stay in the program. There is always an unfortunate chance that you may have to leave the program. However, I would not worry about that right now.

Figure out what you want to do and go for it!

Any personal stories out there? I'd rather not put it off a year, but I don't want to apply and then be too sick to do interviews should I be fortunate enough to get some. I don't want adcoms to see me looking sick or losing my hair either. I'm looking at wigs and I know a lot of great make-up tricks so hopefully that'll work.

By the way, I know some of the replies I'm likely to get and I thank you for that, but I've thought long and hard about this. I know my health comes first, believe me. I had my breakdown, my bout with denial, etc., and I'm now nearing acceptance. I'm going to make it through this and when I do, I'd prefer to be right on-track to becoming a doctor.

wow...well i think you are amazing for not giving up.... are u still in school??...

ppl who don't have really aggressive forms of cancer and who are otherwise healthy do well on chemo...the first couple of weeks after treatment ppl are okay...depsite the nausea and tired feeling but your doctor should give u medicine to handle those side effects...however...be careful after that...your blood counts will almost defintely go down...which will leave you immuno suppressed...which means u will have a hard time fighting off potential infection, you may also start to feel tired and weak because you may become anemic...that wouldn't be a great time to get on a airplane and fly around the country...however...i think we are all assuming that u plan on going to a billion interviews and that u plan on criss crossing the country...you may live in state or city which has alot of med schools close by....

if u keep your wonderful positive attitude and listen to your doctor's recommendations u should get through this...and i am sure u will become a great physician...good luck with everything...

Hi gang! Thanks for all the support. To give you an update, I just found out that I'm fine after all. It was never cancer. I have lupus and it looked like it had progressed to lupus nephritis which is treated with chemotherapy every month. One of my test results was read wrong and upon further testing, it turns out I'm fine. Thanks again for all the encouraging words though. This forum is really great!

:thumbup::D Great to hear!! I hope you find success this cycle!

:thumbup::D Great to hear!! I hope you find success this cycle!

Thanks! I'm so ecstatic, I'm actually excited about studying for the MCAT!

Hi gang! Thanks for all the support. To give you an update, I just found out that I'm fine after all. It was never cancer. I have lupus and it looked like it had progressed to lupus nephritis which is treated with chemotherapy every month. One of my test results was read wrong and upon further testing, it turns out I'm fine. Thanks again for all the encouraging words though. This forum is really great!

wow, I totally was a "mystery diagnosis" on lupus nephritis a couple weeks ago. You are right about the treatment with chemo, and it can be highly successful as long as you catch it early, good luck to you!

Edit: I just read about the lupus instead of assuming cancer. Sorry about that! I'll leave my advice below for you to take what you want from it. In this case, it doesn't necessarily make sense to take any time off if your disease is under good control. But I would also like to stress again the benefits of openness. And you can search for chronic disease management in this forum because it has come up a few times, and there has been a lot of support.

Hi Revilla. Forgive me if I say anything harsh because I don't have all the info.

You have to put yourself in the shoes of an adcomm. Medical schools make an enormous investment in their students. Its hard not to be selfish when considering the amount of effort and money you put into medical school & applications, but that effort and money is matched by the medical schools too. They have every right to consider you a bad investment because of your health. I don't know your prognosis, so this may or may not be a problem for you. I'm not saying you shouldn't apply, just that you demonstrate and respect the issues that an adcomm must weigh when considering your candidacy.

Second, I don't know how open you plan to be about your health. I obviously understand that you do not want to appear to be ill at interviews, but I will caution you that there will be likely reprocussions if you otherwise misrepresent your health. If you are honest and open about your disease and demonstrate a maturity and empathy for fellow sufferers, then I can only see this as a huge positive for your application.

Third, and this doesn't have to do so much with cancer as general life advice... I'm a non-traditional student. I graduated in 2002 in computer engineering, so I've taken a long, curvy path to medical school. A year off means very little. Many people can tell you that time between graduation and medical school has been a big boost to them. I don't know what's right for you, but if you are facing this then I would suggest getting advice on here and the non-trad forum. We're a good community. :)

That's great! Good luck on the MCAT

Thanks!

wow, I totally was a "mystery diagnosis" on lupus nephritis a couple weeks ago.

You mean you have it? Or do you mean they were trying to diagnose you with it?

I'm a non-traditional student. I graduated in 2002 in computer engineering, so I've taken a long, curvy path to medical school. A year off means very little. Many people can tell you that time between graduation and medical school has been a big boost to them. I don't know what's right for you, but if you are facing this then I would suggest getting advice on here and the non-trad forum. We're a good community.

Hi there. Thanks for the advice. I'm a non-traditional student myself. I had another career that I enjoyed very much and then I was diagnosed with lupus. The care I received from the most amazing team of doctors I've ever met is what inspired me to go down this path. My personal statement mentions it (how can it not since it really is what intimately introduced me to the medical profession?) and these little bumps in the road have only made me more determined. I'm thinking of going into adult or pediatric rheumatology actually. It's what drives me.

Second, I don't know how open you plan to be about your health. I obviously understand that you do not want to appear to be ill at interviews, but I will caution you that there will be likely reprocussions if you otherwise misrepresent your health. If you are honest and open about your disease and demonstrate a maturity and empathy for fellow sufferers, then I can only see this as a huge positive for your application.

This part of the post made me think about the new issues we'll be facing with genetic testing and disease predetermination. Have you all heard about the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA)? I wonder if predisposition to cancer, or having the Huntington's gene, or other debilitating diseases will someday be used for graduate (or even undergraduate) admissions and GINA will need to be expanded. Just another curious way that genetics may influence us in the future...

Revilla, I'm so proud of you for fighting for your success and health. You sound like a strong, determined individual. Do you ever feel that revelation of your health status makes you a target for people's elitist attitudes, especially in medicine? I've noticed a great deal of people in medicine (or planning to go into medicine) believe that only the strongest, brightest (and "traditional") students should be given a chance, and I wonder if you've been treated disrespectfully because of lupus? I felt a little bit of that in your original post when you stated that you had thought long and hard about pursuing medical school. If I'm getting too personal, I'm sorry.

This part of the post made me think about the new issues we'll be facing with genetic testing and disease predetermination. Have you all heard about the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA)? I wonder if predisposition to cancer, or having the Huntington's gene, or other debilitating diseases will someday be used for graduate (or even undergraduate) admissions and GINA will need to be expanded. Just another curious way that genetics may influence us in the future...

Revilla, I'm so proud of you for fighting for your success and health. You sound like a strong, determined individual. Do you ever feel that revelation of your health status makes you a target for people's elitist attitudes, especially in medicine? I've noticed a great deal of people in medicine (or planning to go into medicine) believe that only the strongest, brightest (and "traditional") students should be given a chance, and I wonder if you've been treated disrespectfully because of lupus? I felt a little bit of that in your original post when you stated that you had thought long and hard about pursuing medical school. If I'm getting too personal, I'm sorry.

Thank you for your kind words. You never have to worry about getting too personal with me. I used to be a reporter, the queen of asking personal questions. Through putting other people on the spot, I've learned how to deal with them. LOL

I haven't noticed any blatant bias. When I tell people I have lupus, they either tilt their head and say, "I'm sorry" or they say they don't know what it is. Usually, people have no idea I have it because I'm active and I take good care of myself. At the start of a flare, I try to knock it down immediately with NSAIDs (if that doesn't work, then I count on steroids which always do the trick), I've learned to adapt to the fatigue, I take my medication every day, I stay out of the sun, and I cover the malar rash with make-up. The only limitation I have is that I probably shouldn't go into surgery because I can't rely on my fingers every day. Aside from that, I'm like everyone else.

I have heard about GINA and I have serious reservations about it. I think it infringes on privacy in a way that hasn't gotten much attention yet. Once the media learns the ins and outs and the ramifications, I expect news saturation of stem-cell proportions.

Thank you again!

I'm so happy for you! Best of luck with your applications this year!

That's great news!! :biglove:

not-lupus.png