Has anyone got a full-ride scholarship to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalist

carpe diem
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got a full-ride scholarship to dental school? Is there any school that offers such a scholarship?

I understand that dental education is a good investment, considering personal and financial rewards in the future. However, the cost of dental education seems little overwhelming to me. Even if I went to a state dental school, I would still be owing $200k, and from my understanding it takes a few years to have a financial reward in dentistry. The income figure in ADA seems to indicate a large proportion of the income among experienced dentists. Suppose that the new dental school graduates start making $100k a year. After tax, he/she will be taking $70k to his pocket. I imagine it would not be easy to pay mortgage, student loan and living expenses with that money.

Members don't see this ad.

Dentalist said:
Has anyone got a full-ride scholarship to dental school? Is there any school that offers such a scholarship?

I understand that dental education is a good investment, considering personal and financial rewards in the future. However, the cost of dental education seems little overwhelming to me. Even if I went to a state dental school, I would still be owing $200k, and from my understanding it takes a few years to have a financial reward in dentistry. The income figure in ADA seems to indicate a large proportion of the income among experienced dentists. Suppose that the new dental school graduates start making $100k a year. After tax, he/she will be taking $70k to his pocket. I imagine it would not be easy to pay mortgage, student loan and living expenses with that money.

I havent heard of a full ride but i got $30k from UOP

Congratulations on UOP Scholarship! I just wanted to ask you if that's renewable every year.

DREDAY said:
I havent heard of a full ride but i got $30k from UOP

Members don't see this ad :)
no. they dispurse the $30k in 3 years so it becomes 10k each year. At my interview they told us the most UOP offers is $45K

Some schools (Umaryland) will subsidize 5 of the 7 years for a joint DDS/PhD program + a living stipend, but i wouldn't recommend doing that for the $ -- in the extra 3 years as a pracitcing dentist you'd make more than what they are paying for you.

USUaggie said:
Some schools (Umaryland) will subsidize 5 of the 7 years for a joint DDS/PhD program + a living stipend, but i wouldn't recommend doing that for the $ -- in the extra 3 years as a pracitcing dentist you'd make more than what they are paying for you.

UCLA and UCSF subsidize all 8 years.

Dang I wish I would've known that a year ago, and known that I was interested in it! Do you happen to know if LLU does that? I've been trying to reach somebody at the school for 2 days now to get an answer to that question. I know they offer that program but don't know if they have the funds to pay for it.

i am not sure. yah the best bet is to contact the school. Try looking in their website, to see if they mention anything about it.

The guy (Dr. Hooker) in charge is supposed to call me tomorrow (or today, man it's late) I'll post what I learn.

I didn't even know scholarships existed for dental school - aside from the merit scholarships given by each school, which seem pretty minimal - until I recieved a letter from a school I was accepted to offereing me a full four year fellowship - aka, tuition and lab fees. This was my first choice, and I thought the interview experience was not one of my best, so I called and asked them why I had been given this ( probably out of shock). I was told you are given 4 scores (at this school) during the process - DATS, gpa, interview and involvement - and mine was one of 2 highest. This is meant as encouragement guys - I have pretty avg scores for this board, 3.5, 22, but dentistry is something I'm really passionate about and I'm told my honesty is well reflected. I know they loved my undergrad school and have had great success with past students (adcoms actually pointed it out during the group part of the interview - great way to start!) Its possible - so just make your intentions well know, get involved and don't worry if you get stuck in traffic or spill coffee on your suit. I think its good luck! PM me if you want more info...i didn't want to post too much personal info.

Research to see how much $$ and support schools you apply to have - i think this is one of the biggest factors. I'm just one applicant

The only full-ride scholarship I've heard of is if you join the military and do their health professional scholarship program. I'm not sure of details, but I believe they'll pay for as many years as you promise them of active duty service when you are finished, plus the same number of years on reserve.

At NYU they told us that one or two people get full ride:tuition, living expenses... for all four years (dependent if you keep a certain GPA while in dental school). That would have been pretty nice, wondering what your stats would have had to been though!

DREDAY said:
no. they dispurse the $30k in 3 years so it becomes 10k each year. At my interview they told us the most UOP offers is $45K

I was offered $60K from UOP, so they do offer more. It still doesn't bring the price down to some other schools though.

Members don't see this ad :)
angeeeeee said:
I was offered $60K from UOP, so they do offer more. It still doesn't bring the price down to some other schools though.

Congratulations!
I hope you don't mind me asking but what kind of stats did you have to make them offer you such a nice package?

i was offered $100,000 for 4 years at NYU

amDENTwB said:
I didn't even know scholarships existed for dental school - aside from the merit scholarships given by each school, which seem pretty minimal - until I recieved a letter from a school I was accepted to offereing me a full four year fellowship - aka, tuition and lab fees. This was my first choice, and I thought the interview experience was not one of my best, so I called and asked them why I had been given this ( probably out of shock). I was told you are given 4 scores (at this school) during the process - DATS, gpa, interview and involvement - and mine was one of 2 highest. This is meant as encouragement guys - I have pretty avg scores for this board, 3.5, 22, but dentistry is something I'm really passionate about and I'm told my honesty is well reflected. I know they loved my undergrad school and have had great success with past students (adcoms actually pointed it out during the group part of the interview - great way to start!) Its possible - so just make your intentions well know, get involved and don't worry if you get stuck in traffic or spill coffee on your suit. I think its good luck! PM me if you want more info...i didn't want to post too much personal info.

Research to see how much $$ and support schools you apply to have - i think this is one of the biggest factors. I'm just one applicant

WOW!!! Congratulations on your scholarship - out of curiosity - which generous school gave u this scholarship??? Ive been accepted into dental school but i most probably wont be going because its just unaffordable - so I just want to remind you to never forget how fortunate you are

Unaffordable? Why? Do you have special circumstances? The banks are more than willing to help us out because there's no way they'll lose money investing in us, and if that doesn't work out the military wants us just as bad.

Ok I'm back and posting like a mad-man today, LLU pays for the PhD years but not the dental years. It's a different program, though, you just get involved on your own and they accomidate you.

USUaggie said:
Ok I'm back and posting like a mad-man today, LLU pays for the PhD years but not the dental years. It's a different program, though, you just get involved on your own and they accomidate you.

Hopefully I'm not hijacking this thread, but I always wanted to ask this question and it seems that this would be a good thread to ask it in -- I guess I'm asking this to USUaggie, but I would love for anyone/everyone who has knowledge to answer. What kind of merit scholarships do Maryland and LomaLinda offer (if any at all) for accepted dental students (not DDS+PhD program)? And more specifically, do either of these two schools offer full scholarships?

Thanks so much for any knowledge you can share :)

-Jae-

I actually don't know the answer to this because they didn't offer me anything :( but I was accepted to UMary on Dec. 1st so I would imagine I was one of their top applicants. You should probably call the schools and find out if they offer any kind of a scholarship and what the qualifications are. I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that most schools don't offer scholarships.

USUaggie said:
Unaffordable? Why? Do you have special circumstances? The banks are more than willing to help us out because there's no way they'll lose money investing in us, and if that doesn't work out the military wants us just as bad.

Yes i suppose u could say i have special circumstance - im an international student (although i am getting my Bachelors here in the U.S) So banks demand for a cosigner (someone who is a creditworthy U.S citizen) and i dont know anyone that well - no relatives and no magnanamous friends... as for military thats also out of question for me.... so you see i'm in a rocking boat or not in one at all! - my home country cant give that huge amount in loan either... o well if you know any other international student who had to deal with this and found a solution let me know

Have you posted on the international forum? It seems to me that this is a situation that would come up often enough that someone would have a solution. I'm sorry if it doesn't work out for you

USUaggie said:
I actually don't know the answer to this because they didn't offer me anything :( but I was accepted to UMary on Dec. 1st so I would imagine I was one of their top applicants. You should probably call the schools and find out if they offer any kind of a scholarship and what the qualifications are. I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that most schools don't offer scholarships.

USUaggie-

Thanks, that's much appreciated. It sounds like you were a top-notch applicant and were confident with your stats, so maybe there isn't much hope with scholarships at Maryland :( Haha...oh well. The only thing that even got me thinking about scholarships at UMD is that a cousin of mine is a first year med student attending Maryland and she's there on full academic scholarship... I guess perhaps Maryland's dental school isn't quite as generous as its medical school :mad:

Thanks again, and if anyone else has any opinions lets post :)

-Jae-

I know UMDNJ offers some scholarships, but a lot of the people in their 7-year program (who have guarrunteed admission after 3 years of undergrad) have first dibs on those.

Tons of schools give partial scholarships that may not be that competative to get. I was offered the Dean's Scholarship at UK, but it was kinda puney...I think like $1,000 per year. (although in-state tuition there is only like 11K or 12K or something like that, so I guess every little bit helps).

It seems like theres a handful of you guys out there that got nice chunk of tuition paid for....that must be an awesome feeling....congrats, you must have worked super hard for it!! :thumbup: