Has anyone got any info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bee33

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a 33 year old African American female. I graduated from Penn State 12 years ago. My overall GPA was a 2.80, 3.10 in science. I want to pursue my career in medicine. My stats are not that great. I thought about Allo-Med, however, I don't stand a chance. I decided since D.O's are the wave of the future, that I should take a crack at it.
With the notion that my stats are low. I took the MCATS in 1986 and plan to retake them in April. I thought about some Caribbean schools, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any ideas?

Should I even consider applying? If so, where? Does my being a minority student help? What schools have a greater enrollment of student with my profile.
How can I beef up my resume?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, it all depends on your MCAT. If you get 28 or higher, you're in decent shape. Concentrate on that and do as best you can.

What have you been doing since graduation? There are a lot of variables missing for us to have a real opinion. My instinct is to tell you that if you have the dream and the desire then you should go for it. However, you should really take a look at what it takes (requirements, avg scores, gpa, experience) and make the decision on your own. After all, you are the person who has to live with the decision of either chasing the impossible, or on the other hand giving up on your dream. Only you can make these decisions. It is easy for people to tell you what to do because they dont have to live with the consequencs either way. There may be some advantage to your minority status, but I wouldnt factor that in. You should decide that the admissions boards are color blind and go for that. It would be better to meet avg standards and then find out that you could have scored lower, than to count on easier qualifications only to find out that you needed to score the avg. Take time to look at the avg admission qualifications, know they are only a guideline and not set in stone, and make a decision that you can live with. If you have any questions email and I will try and help. I think reading all of the old threads on this site would give you a good idea of where you stand. Good luck and never give up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey you guys,
Thanks for looking out. The only thing that concerns me is what schools do I apply to? I don't want to be a fool and apply to schools that want only 4.0's and 11's. What do you suggest? I'm located in NY.
I've been working as a Nuclear Cardiology Tech for the past 7 years. I make a good salary, however, the job is monotonous. No Challenge!!!!!
What do you guys think about those Caribbean Schools?

Try looking up US News and World Report on the web. It has a section about medical schools and you can access the records of most DO and MD schools as far as GPA,MCAT, etc. With that GPA you will probably need at least 27-30 on the MCAT. Otherwise, some post grad work will be in order to show you've got the stuff.

NYCOM and PCOM sound like a great schools to start with. Both schools outright require a GPA of 2.75. That puts you within their thresholds. Both schools also look positively upon experiences like yours ("Non-traditional students are encouaged to apply"). Further, you would be considered a state resident at NYCOM. That will get you additional preference. Both look favorably upon minorities

You must do reasonable on the MCAT! Anything less than a 21 is bad, and to be competitive I would shoot for a minimum of 28. PCOMs average MCAT was 25 and I believe NYCOMs is similiar.

Sometimes you hear stories about the person that got into "Prestigous Univeisty Medical School A" with a "low" GPA. That person almost always has a background similiar to yours--experience in the health care arena.

Right now you are very close to where you need to be. Study hard for that MCAT! E-mail me if you want more information on this process. I have a lot of stuff information that I would be willing to share with you.

P.S. My background is very similar to yours and I am applying to both schools right now.

Even though the ""required gpa"" for NYCOM or PCOM is 2.75, there is hardly anyone being accepted (each year) in both schools has that gpa. Please correct if I am wrong.

I strongly suggest you to take post-bac courses to improve your gpa.

[This message has been edited by dragonking (edited September 16, 1999).]

About Carribean Schhols: I would strongly discourage you from applying to any foreign schools. Right now the trend is basically to keep foreign educated doctors out so it would become very difficult for you to come back for residency or practice in the US. It's better to go to the worst school in the US than to go to the best school abroad!

I would also say that you should probably take some upper level science courses and do well in them. Your work experience will definitely help you and you just need to show them that you can handle the science courses after your long break from school.

I think it is extremely important to apply early (June) especially if your credentials are not very good. This year it is too loate already but if you take some courses the next two semesters and do well on the MCAT, I am sure you will get interviews and after that you just have to show them your strengths and you will get in!

Don't give up no matter what the stats show!

As an African American female pre-med, I have done a fair amount of research on the minorities acceptance to medical school. I read in "Guide to Getting into Medical School for the Perplexed" that the average minority accepted to medical school it an African American, female, age 24, GPA 3.10 MCAT 25. The avereage schools she applies to is 12 with acceptance to 2 schools. My memory may be a little foggy, so you might want to check the book for exact data. Much of the literature I have read about (allopathic) schools states that minority applicants are encouraged to apply.
You have considerable amount of experience in the medical field and that is also a great advantage. Don't give up on US schools.

[This message has been edited by Tanya (edited September 17, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Tanya (edited September 17, 1999).]