stdavisdr

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi

I will be applying for the 2017 cycle. My gpa is unfortunately 2.8. It's above the minimum, but barely. I do have a pretty high MCAT score thats way above the minimum. So, I'm just thinking about my chances and whether I should just apply for a post-bacc program to boost my gpa.

Thanks

Aug 13, 2013
Status
Medical Student
They don't care about your GPA as long as it's above the minimum. They only use your MCAT score and interview to rank you.

Reactions: Maruko
Aug 13, 2013
Status
Medical Student
But on UQ-O website they say that they want a minimum B average for their GPA, doesn't that translate to a 3.0 being the minimum? A 2.7 would be a B- average.

OP
S

stdavisdr

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
But on UQ-O website they say that they want a minimum B average for their GPA, doesn't that translate to a 3.0 being the minimum? A 2.7 would be a B- average.
Yeah I don't get that either. They say B average but on their video they say "B average or 2.67 gpa."

http://www.mededpath.org/admissions.html the video is on the bottom of the page. I hoping that isn't an error or something.

Reactions: sisko

mcat_taker

5+ Year Member
May 31, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Yeah I don't get that either. They say B average but on their video they say "B average or 2.67 gpa."

http://www.mededpath.org/admissions.html the video is on the bottom of the page. I hoping that isn't an error or something.
If you do a postbac and do well that 36 MCAT will be pretty competitive for U.S. schools but I guess it depends how old the score is whether you can apply with it. You can try and start a postbac this fall maybe and see what happens.

Maruko

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
you need to decide fast since many schools won't take the old MCAT next year.
36 is very competitive. take some science courses to get that GPA to 3.0 and you will have a DO acceptance at least!

pitman

Grasshopper
15+ Year Member
May 23, 2003
Queensland via Boston
Maybe. While 36 is a very nice MCAT score, DO schools have average GPAs of 3.4-3.6. If the OP is white, all else being equal a higher score would be expected. So it all depends on the spread and how low they'll go in order to raise their MCAT average.