has anyone gotten in with a 3.0-3.3 science gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ponybreeder4

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ya...i really want to apply but dont want to waste the money if there has been no one to get in with a gpa that low
also how much does applying disadvantaged help?

Members don't see this ad.

You searched for applicants:
Science GPA greater than 3.00 and less than 3.30
Applied MD/DO and accepted at any medical school

search results here.

887 profiles matched your search criteria. Search took 1.91 seconds.

I cannot answer your second question.

ya...i really want to apply but dont want to waste the money if there has been no one to get in with a gpa that low

Yes, and a lot... (assuming you truly are...)

Members don't see this ad :)

It can help, sure. Plus you don't have to pay as much for things. If you can relate your disadvantaged status to your desire to go into medicine, or how it taught you something valuable to a medical practictioner, that would be good too.

Last edited:
I got in with a 3.3 bcpm, 1st cycle (off the waitlist)

There have been lots of threads related to GPA so you should search...

But I had a 3.3 science GPA and got accepted to 4 schools my first time around.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt-raceeth.htm

Yes, there are people who do it. Also, check out the differences in rates between URM and non-URM with the same stats... and, let's say they're very interesting to say the least. But that's another debate and topic.

For you're question though, yes. Check out the different AAMC data tables and mdapps (though naturally mdapps isn't completely reliable)

edit: Actually aplying disadvantaged was a question of yours. Well, lets look at a quick example. According to that table if you're the average applicant and white with a GPA in the range of 3.4-5.9 and MCAT range of 27-29 there is a 45.8% acceptance rate over the last three years. It is nearly 80% if you are URM with the same stats.

I had a 2.9 sGPA from undergrad. After graduation, I took an extra year of only undergrad science classes (24 hrs) - 4.0 GPA. Then did a post-bacc but dropped out after 4.0 gpa 1st semester bc I got into my top choice school.

It is going to be very difficult to get in with anything below a 3.3 or so without doing a significant amount of supplemental work or having a legitimate excuse (parent/sibling/spouse dies, extensive medical problems, etc.).

yes alot of people get in with those stats, just make sure your other stats are good, i.e. MCAT score
2.gif

Good to see that SDNers are finally starting to pay attention to statistics that some of us keep mentioning. Just last year the OP would have been attacked and told to forget medschool.

If you do have something close to 3.0, make sure that your application is otherwise strong, including a clear upward trend. If you have a downward trend, it will be tougher to get in. Some adcoms might care about disadvantaged status less than others.

I have a 3.0 science during application which dropped a little lower after the fall semester. (got a C in biochem...a 4 credit class)

My MCAT wasn't stellar either but I had tons of experiences and am from a very very rural area near the school I go to. (We started orientation today) Oh, and I am nowhere near a URM. My dad is a doctor and I am as white as white can be.

Good to see that SDNers are finally starting to pay attention to statistics that some of us keep mentioning. Just last year the OP would have been attacked and told to forget medschool.

If you do have something close to 3.0, make sure that your application is otherwise strong, including a clear upward trend. If you have a downward trend, it will be tougher to get in. Some adcoms might care about disadvantaged status less than others.

It is a good thing. I try my best to be realistic and have some evidence to back it. When I was just a lurker and not a member I've seen some of the bashing that would go on, and I know personally myself I'm surprised I haven't gotten bashed for my stats. But really, the point of a community is to be supportive right? Be realistic, but help each other through the process. Why shoot another student down?? (there's enough gunners doing that).

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.21 BCPM, and I'm not disadvantaged or URM by any interpretation.

3.18 sgpa

but 35 MCAT

2nd cycle i got accepted, but last year i only had a 29 MCAT, so i retook in august this year. So yes 3.18 sgpa, 3.5 overall, 35 MCAT. and october secondary submissions (due to wait on MCAT)

Most people seem to have a solid MCAT or a relatively high GPA from other classes.

I didn't really have either but I am also lucky.

Which school you got into Mosspoh ?

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt-raceeth.htm

Yes, there are people who do it. Also, check out the differences in rates between URM and non-URM with the same stats... and, let's say they're very interesting to say the least. But that's another debate and topic.

For you're question though, yes. Check out the different AAMC data tables and mdapps (though naturally mdapps isn't completely reliable)

edit: Actually aplying disadvantaged was a question of yours. Well, lets look at a quick example. According to that table if you're the average applicant and white with a GPA in the range of 3.4-5.9 and MCAT range of 27-29 there is a 45.8% acceptance rate over the last three years. It is nearly 80% if you are URM with the same stats.

Dude!! I just looked at the table with my stats on the first table I have an 85.9% acceptance rate but when I go to the Asian (I am Asian) my chances drop to 63%!! That's not cool...I will be the first doctor in my family besides my one cousin who just grad from med and the other who is starting year one. It's okay though, I'm not going to let statistics define my future :thumbup:

Dude!! I just looked at the table with my stats on the first table I have an 85.9% acceptance rate but when I go to the Asian (I am Asian) my chances drop to 63%!! That's not cool...I will be the first doctor in my family besides my one cousin who just grad from med and the other who is starting year one. It's okay though, I'm not going to let statistics define my future :thumbup:

Nah, the chart that says 85.9% is specifically for URM. For whites, with your stats (assuming we are looking at the same region of the chart), you would have a 64.9% chance, vs. your 63% as an Asian.

Don't let stats determine you're future and I wasn't suggesting that. I just think knowing what the facts are can help with understanding the process or getting through some of the good and poor information that gets spread around here. That and I was trying to show the OP that it has been done, rather than the typical "ugh.. its carribean or vet school for you.." that used to get thrown around here in the past.