Has anyone gotten into MD schools with 503 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amaris4you

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
question in title. Any non-URMs make it to MD with a low score like that?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you purchased the MSAR? You can see the 10th percentile MCAT of each school's acceptances, many of which are close to or below 503. No way to know the demographic breakdown, but you get a clear idea of where you stand.

Have you purchased the MSAR? You can see the 10th percentile MCAT of each school's acceptances, many of which are close to or below 503. No way to know the demographic breakdown, but you get a clear idea of where you stand.

Yes, I have MSAR. My score is at my state school's 10th percentile. When I emailed the admissions, they said to continue with my app because they cannot predict unless they look at my whole app...why would they say that when my score is so low?

I didn't know, so I posted here to see if there is a chance

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I have MSAR. My score is below my state schools' 10th percentile. When I emailed the admissions, they said to continue with my app because they cannot predict unless they look at my whole app...why would they say that when my score is so low?

I didn't know, so I posted here to see if there is a chance

Because admissions is based on your entire application and not just on your MCAT/GPA, so the probably told you to continue with your app so someone can do a holistic review and then go from there.

Look at this. A 503 is roughly the equivalent of a 26. Input your GPA range and voilà, instant stats.

These numbers don't capture the whole picture though. It is possible to overcome that with a combination of a good to great GPA and standout ECs. You should probably consider retaking the MCAT and applying next year though.

Because admissions is based on your entire application and not just on your MCAT/GPA, so the probably told you to continue with your app so someone can do a holistic review and then go from there.

Look at this. A 503 is roughly the equivalent of a 26. Input your GPA range and voilà, instant stats.

These numbers don't capture the whole picture though. It is possible to overcome that with a combination of a good to great GPA and standout ECs. You should probably consider retaking the MCAT and applying next year though.

Hm...I thought 503 was a 27? Then should I apply to my state schools now? Shows me as having a 43% chance but I am also ORM. I don't know what to do.

Hm...I thought 503 was a 27? Then should I apply to my state schools now? Shows me as having a 43% chance but I am also ORM. I don't know what to do.

Estimates vary for conversions. It's always better to apply the next year with a stronger application. You can reapply, but you'll have to show significant improvements since the last application. If I were you, I'd wait another year.

You are below the 10th percentile for your state schools. Unless you have something truly spectacular about your app, your wisest choice at this point would be to retake the MCAT and apply next year - or apply DO this year.

Reactions: 1 users

It's possible to get into US MD with a 503. It's also possible to get into US MD with below 500. It depends on your application and the schools you are applying to.

But is it recommended? No, because it's limiting and you are below US MD matriculant medians of 509. It's better to retake the MCAT and score 510+ to be competitive for US MD and increase your success. Otherwise, apply US DO.

If you've already applied this cycle, why hadn't you yet applied to your state schools?

What else do you have going for you? What's your GPA? What medically related ECs, volunteering, research have you done?

As an ORM, you may be tougher for you if you don't have something else going on.. Are you also applying to DO schools? If not, why not?

I am done with AMCAS although it is not verified yet. I had to re-submit due to a transcript issue. The first time, I submitted July 3 with one school, but they lost my transcript. Now they have everything, but it can take until mid-September. AAMC said they are working to get it verified soon however. I don't know what their timeline will be now :( 3.7 GPA, choice of MD or VA state and I chose VA because I saw more schools there, tons and tons of service + research + clinical hours. I have all the normal things SDN recommends and more. Except the MCAT score :arghh:

It's much more difficult to give the best advice when you're running multiple threads on the same topic because your full info isn't on any one thread.

Now we see that you've only submitted with one school so far. If that's so, then as mentioned above, don't apply to any more schools. Instead prepare to be a better applicant next year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anecdotally I know one person who got 3 MD IIs and an acceptance with a 503. Two of those schools were out of state public. Loyola in Chicago has a new MCAT average of 504 (source: website) and UCLA was a 506 I believe. It isn't the kiss of death a 27 seemed to be even though they are similar percentiles, but it definitely depends on the rest of your app.

Yup. My friend got in to multiple schools with that exact score and a 3.3 GPA.

One of my state MD schools has an MCAT median (accepted and matriculant) of 505 and a 10th percentile of 498. So it is possible, but I wouldn't apply to any MD with that score without a healthy mix of DO schools to go along.

If you look on MSAR, you will notice that there are plenty of schools that have a 503 MCAT as their 10th or even 25th percentiles. But that doesn't change the fact that your chances of getting in are dramatically lowered.

Anecdotally I know one person who got 3 MD IIs and an acceptance with a 503. Two of those schools were out of state public. Loyola in Chicago has a new MCAT average of 504 (source: website) and UCLA was a 506 I believe. It isn't the kiss of death a 27 seemed to be even though they are similar percentiles, but it definitely depends on the rest of your app.
I know Lotto winners. We have both given anecdotes and they both have no place in these types of discussions.

It does SDNers no good to build false hopes on outliers.

Reactions: 2 users
At UTRGV the median MCAT is pretty close to 503. Their 10th percentile is 498. I recently counseled someone with a 3.8/501 and AMCAS put his chances at 35% if white and 71% if Hispanic. Far from lotto numbers, but I certainly agree that it's not a great place to be at 503.

You are below the 10th percentile for your state schools. Unless you have something truly spectacular about your app, your wisest choice at this point would be to retake the MCAT and apply next year - or apply DO this year.

Actually, I was mistaken...I am exactly at the 10th percentile for one of my state schools

This is a duplicate thread. Please stop doubling posting

a 3.7 GPA/ 503 MCAT had a 35% national acceptance rate. That is 1 in 3 odds
a 3.8-4.0 GPA with a 503 MCAT is just over 50%.
503 that is below 10th percentile at your state school, late in the cycle will just put you in a worst position for next year
Cut your losses, re-prep and retake the MCAT.
https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstablea23.pdf

Sorry, I know we are not allowed to double post, but I didn't think this was a double post? :confused: the previous thread is about my chances specifically...this thread is to see other peoples' experience with low mcat scores

But, thanks @gonnif for the info...I wish I applied early on as even 1 in 3 could have been worth it to try in-state

It is also the lateness here that becomes a factor. The applicant is not even at the bottom of the pile yet, w/o verification. Then perhaps by Sept 1, then secondaries , then finally just being in the evaluation queue before even review for adcom. Thats what makes this so difficult. Add the odds of 3 to 1 on a 3.7 GPA/ 503 MCAT and its just not worth a risk . With the timing factor you are looking at less than 25% of getting anywhere.

Could you please elaborate on the risk? If I did this, I will only apply to one school (my state school which has me at their 10th percentile). This school told me that re-app status wasn't a big deal and to continue applying. It is late, but with even a 25% chance with the rest of my application being strong and no re-app stigma next year, I felt I can apply and see what happens? I'm not saying that I'm adamant on this and ignoring all the advice. That is simply my reasoning atm, and I would love to hear why you still feel it is risky or not worth it. That way, I can evaluate all info with care. If there was a re-app stigma, I wouldn't apply. Since the school said there is not, I am re-thinking :unsure:

Could you please elaborate on the risk? If I did this, I will only apply to one school (my state school which has me at their 10th percentile). This school told me that re-app status wasn't a big deal and to continue applying. It is late, but with even a 25% chance with the rest of my application being strong and no re-app stigma next year, I felt I can apply and see what happens? I'm not saying that I'm adamant on this and ignoring all the advice. That is simply my reasoning atm, and I would love to hear why you still feel it is risky or not worth it. That way, I can evaluate all info with care. If there was a re-app stigma, I wouldn't apply. Since the school said there is not, I am re-thinking :unsure:

Some schools will simply ask you "have you ever applied to medical school?" Reapplicant status may not be a big deal to that school, but it will open the door for unwanted questions at other schools that inquire about it.

Some schools will simply ask you "have you ever applied to medical school?" Reapplicant status may not be a big deal to that school, but it will open the door for unwanted questions at other schools that inquire about it.

Do you know which schools ask this?

At UTRGV the median MCAT is pretty close to 503. Their 10th percentile is 498. I recently counseled someone with a 3.8/501 and AMCAS put his chances at 35% if white and 71% if Hispanic. Far from lotto numbers, but I certainly agree that it's not a great place to be at 503.
This is an extremely different situation. First, being a Texas school, and second, a school with a very specific mission.
Until SDNers start posting their ethnicity and state of residence, I will assume they're ORM, and not living in a lucky state.

This is an extremely different situation. First, being a Texas school, and second, a school with a very specific mission.
Until SDNers start posting their ethnicity and state of residence, I will assume they're ORM, and not living in a lucky state.
Right on!

I know Lotto winners. We have both given anecdotes and they both have no place in these types of discussions.

2300/9000 acceptees last cycle had an MCAT between 498 and 505. Are you suggesting that over 25% of all acceptees are outliers? A 503 can be a perfectly acceptable MCAT in the context of a whole app.

The much bigger problem, as @gonnif alluded to in his post, in my opinion is the timing. Turning in a primary tomorrow to be verified by the end of the September with low stats is a massive uphill battle. If you were asking this question in May I would tell you to plan an application cycle, apply broadly to DO and MD, and prepare to retake the MCAT for a stronger re-app cycle if the rest of your app is well-rounded. Since you are asking near the end of August, my advice to you is to retake the MCAT with a better strategy and prepare all of your materials, letters, etc to be submitted in June/July of next cycle.

2300/9000 acceptees last cycle had an MCAT between 498 and 505. Are you suggesting that over 25% of all acceptees are outliers? A 503 can be a perfectly acceptable MCAT in the context of a whole app.

The much bigger problem, as @gonnif alluded to in his post, in my opinion is the timing. Turning in a primary tomorrow to be verified by the end of the September with low stats is a massive uphill battle. If you were asking this question in May I would tell you to plan an application cycle, apply broadly to DO and MD, and prepare to retake the MCAT for a stronger re-app cycle if the rest of your app is well-rounded. Since you are asking near the end of August, my advice to you is to retake the MCAT with a better strategy and prepare all of your materials, letters, etc to be submitted in June/July of next cycle.

Will it hurt me badly to just submit one application to my state school? They supposedly II ~45% according to MSAR...

Certainly won't help to only submit one place.

Well I obviously don't have many options here...the best shot I got is my state school right? even 10% is still a chance :/
But if I apply elsewhere, then I will be a re-app at those schools for next cycle. My state school said they didn't care about re-apps, which is why I am considering them. Of course, I don't know how true this will be at time of evaluation.

Will it hurt me badly to just submit one application to my state school? They supposedly II ~45% according to MSAR...
It won't cause you physical pain but applying late to a single school whose 10th percentile is above yours will almost certainly end in rejection unless you have some secretly impressive or important credentials you aren't letting on

It won't cause you physical pain but applying late to a single school whose 10th percentile is above yours will almost certainly end in rejection

I am at their 10th percentile...does that make any difference? their 10th percentile is 503. I will say though that I have a low sub-section score of 123 with the rest as 126-128.

Well I obviously don't have many options here...the best shot I got is my state school right? even 10% is still a chance :/
But if I apply elsewhere, then I will be a re-app at those schools for next cycle. My state school said they didn't care about re-apps, which is why I am considering them. Of course, I don't know how true this will be at time of evaluation.
Lateness is bad. Being a re-applicant is typically not viewed as a negative thing.

I am at their 10th percentile...does that make any difference? their 10th percentile is 503. I will say though that I have a low sub-section score of 123 with the rest as 126-128.

I would for sure retake the MCAT, get a balanced 510+, and apply in June.

Lateness is bad. Being a re-applicant is typically not viewed as a negative thing.

Reapplying is a bad thing. You really want to apply once with the best possible application. It's a costly and anxious process that shouldn't be dealt with more than once.

Lucky states, URM, veterans, compelling life stories, legacies, killer ECs, and you explain the vast bulk of that.

You can't use these stats and give people a hope that they're competitive.

You have to look at each school.

The issue with being a reapplicant even at your state school even if this say they dont hold it against you is one of the perception and/or subconscious impression that will occur with most adcom members as follows

1) They will know that you are a reapplicant to their school, thus you have already been denied once by their own committee
2) They will assume that like most applicants that you applied to between 10 and 20 schools, all of which have already denied you
3) I will read your past application or, worse, just look at the summary sheet and evaluation of the year before and read why my colleagues or even myself denied you.

So those are the first three things that I would think about you before I read any of you current application. Applying to medical school is about reducing risk. You are taking a long shot with little chance of winning at this late date that has a high chance of reducing odds for next cycle. For whatever reason you have already done a very dumb thing by taking the MCAT late. You could have delayed that and started off well next cycle. But you want to rush and you now you want to a dumber thing by applying late with a low score to your top choice. It is idiocy bordering on stupidity to do so

What about if someone withdraws from everywhere post-verification and reapplies in June next cycle? How do adcoms view these reapplicants since they never denied them in the first place?

The issue with being a reapplicant even at your state school even if this say they dont hold it against you is one of the perception and/or subconscious impression that will occur with most adcom members as follows

1) They will know that you are a reapplicant to their school, thus you have already been denied once by their own committee
2) They will assume that like most applicants that you applied to between 10 and 20 schools, all of which have already denied you
3) I will read your past application or, worse, just look at the summary sheet and evaluation of the year before and read why my colleagues or even myself denied you.

So those are the first three things that I would think about you before I read any of you current application. Applying to medical school is about reducing risk. You are taking a long shot with little chance of winning at this late date that has a high chance of reducing odds for next cycle. For whatever reason you have already done a very dumb thing by taking the MCAT late. You could have delayed that and started off well next cycle. But you want to rush and you now you want to a dumber thing by applying late with a low score to your top choice. It is idiocy bordering on stupidity to do so

Isn't this evaluation and note-taking done after an interview? What happens when a person is rejected based on AMCAS or secondary alone without an II?

Lucky states, URM, veterans, compelling life stories, legacies, killer ECs, and you explain the vast bulk of that.

You can't use these stats and give people a hope that they're competitive.

You have to look at each school.

Sorry Goro but I completely disagree with you here. When multiple schools have averages around that (again, Loyola at 504 and UCLA not much higher) and when 25% of a certain applicant group gain an acceptance then it isn't enough to simply say "outliers". Those aren't lotto winners. The people who get in with a sub 500 are lotto winners. The rest of OPs app is what will determine whether or not they should apply (not this cycle) with a 503. Most likely they will need to retake, but to immediately disregard the rest of the app and say a 503 is screwed is foolhardy.

Edit: definitely do not apply this cycle unless it is to DO schools. I agree with that 100%

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Goro but I completely disagree with you here. When multiple schools have averages around that (again, Loyola at 504 and UCLA not much higher) and when 25% of a certain applicant group gain an acceptance then it isn't enough to simply say "outliers". Those aren't lotto winners. The people who get in with a sub 500 are lotto winners. The rest of OPs app is what will determine whether or not they should apply (not this cycle) with a 503. Most likely they will need to retake, but to immediately disregard the rest of the app and say a 503 is screwed is foolhardy.
I've been going by MSAR. And matriculants are indeed a 504. WOW!

How the mighty have fallen.

I'll throw Loyola down to 500.

Here's what I recommend for someone with a 503:

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
VCU
Oakland U Beaumont
WVU
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Your state school(s)
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, LUCOM or Wm Carey, for different reasons

I've been going by MSAR. And matriculants are indeed a 504. WOW!

How the mighty have fallen.

I'll throw Loyola down to 500.

Here's what I recommend for someone with a 503:

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
VCU
Oakland U Beaumont
WVU
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Your state school(s)
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, LUCOM or Wm Carey, for different reasons

It's honestly a little weird. Loyola went from essentially a 33 average to 27 when they started getting the new MCAT scores. Most schools still like those scores above 510, but a handful (or more depending on the state) will give a 503 a look. Back to my anecdote, the guy did have a 3.9 with decent ECs so it wasn't like he was totally mediocre.

Once the application is transmitted to a school, you cant withdraw via AMCAS. You will automatically pop up in any intake system as a reapplicant. Which is why it is important to formally withdraw from each school and not simply let your file stay open with no action by you. That looks like you didnt even bother trying

Right but they are still reapplicants at those schools even after they withdraw. How do schools view them in the following cycle?