Deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seldentaleli

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's definitely possible, but not the most probable. Per the current ADEA guide, the average SciGPA was 3.53 and a total GPA of 3.61. The 5th percentile for science that was admitted(and enrolled) was 2.95 while for the overall GPA 5th percentile was 3.1. Meaning only 5% of the class (that enrolled) had a science GPA under 2.95 and a core GPA under 3.1.

So it's certainly possible, but it may be difficult unless you have good ties to UDM. What have you done to show this? Have you talked/reached out to admissions?

Having a higher DAT(which is probably 22 or 23+AA) will certainly help counteract the lower GPA as will doing well in your last 30-60 credits of your major, average DAT AA was 19.6, 19.5PAT, and 19.8Sci. Everyone is different, however, and UDM certainly looks at each applicant holistically. To maximize your chances, make sure to apply as early as you can, June 1st is preferable. If you fill out a formal What Are My Chances (WAMC) we can give some better advice if you follow the template provided.

You also have the option of a post-bacc program, or DIY ones, where you can take 15-30+ science credits to help boost your GPA before applying. There are also Special Masters Programs(SMPs) that have integrated curriculums with medical/dental schools. However, those are much higher Risks vs. Rewards.

Have you taken the DAT yet?

SDN even did an interview with the director of admissions at UDM, it's worth a read. I'll link it below:

Reactions: 1 user
The 5th percentile for science that was admitted(and enrolled) was 2.95 while for the overall GPA 5th percentile was 3.1. Meaning only 5% of the class (that enrolled) had a science GPA under 2.95 and a core GPA under 3.1.
Wait a second, I thought UDM had a cut off at 3.0. Who are they letting in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait a second, I thought UDM had a cut off at 3.0. Who are they letting in?
Beats me, they probably do have a 3.0 cutoff but make exceptions for some exceptional students. This is also from class of 2024 so it could also be that they’ve updated their GPA requirements since that cycle

it could also be a total gpa cutoff of 3.0, but not for science which would make sense since only 5 percent is under 3.1 for overall gpa

It's definitely possible, but not the most probable. Per the current ADEA guide, the average SciGPA was 3.53 and a total GPA of 3.61. The 5th percentile for science that was admitted(and enrolled) was 2.95 while for the overall GPA 5th percentile was 3.1. Meaning only 5% of the class (that enrolled) had a science GPA under 2.95 and a core GPA under 3.1.

So it's certainly possible, but it may be difficult unless you have good ties to UDM. What have you done to show this? Have you talked/reached out to admissions?

Having a higher DAT(which is probably 22 or 23+AA) will certainly help counteract the lower GPA as will doing well in your last 30-60 credits of your major, average DAT AA was 19.6, 19.5PAT, and 19.8Sci. Everyone is different, however, and UDM certainly looks at each applicant holistically. To maximize your chances, make sure to apply as early as you can, June 1st is preferable. If you fill out a formal What Are My Chances (WAMC) we can give some better advice if you follow the template provided.

You also have the option of a post-bacc program, or DIY ones, where you can take 15-30+ science credits to help boost your GPA before applying. There are also Special Masters Programs(SMPs) that have integrated curriculums with medical/dental schools. However, those are much higher Risks vs. Rewards.

Have you taken the DAT yet?

SDN even did an interview with the director of admissions at UDM, it's worth a read. I'll link it below:

Thank you for all of this info! To answer your questions, I have not taken the DAT yet, I will be taking it in May. I have already started studying and it’s going well so far.

Also, although my overall GPA is on the lower end, I have been taking upper level science classes at my local community college, UCLA extension UCB extension and harvard extension (12 grad credits. By the time I apply, I will have over 60 credits that have all been mostly A’s and a few B’s (about a 3.7 for this 60 credits). I have emailed admissions before and this was the advice he gave me, to take upper level science courses to get my gpa above the 3.0 cutoff and he said that upward trends are taken into account. I also asked him regarding the extension schools and he said as long as they are accredited that it is fine.

Do you have any advice for how I could have “good ties to UDM” and what you mean by that? I’ve tried to find pre-dental events that they are hosting but have not had any luck so far this year.

Also, I was thinking of possibly enrolling in a masters program starting in the Fall because at this point, I have taken just about every upper level science course at the undergrad level. Would doing an academic update after the fall semester ends help me as well. It would end in late November if I get accepted to this specific program.

Thank you for all of this info! To answer your questions, I have not taken the DAT yet, I will be taking it in May. I have already started studying and it’s going well so far.

Also, although my overall GPA is on the lower end, I have been taking upper level science classes at my local community college, UCLA extension UCB extension and harvard extension (12 grad credits. By the time I apply, I will have over 60 credits that have all been mostly A’s and a few B’s (about a 3.7 for this 60 credits). I have emailed admissions before and this was the advice he gave me, to take upper level science courses to get my gpa above the 3.0 cutoff and he said that upward trends are taken into account. I also asked him regarding the extension schools and he said as long as they are accredited that it is fine.

Do you have any advice for how I could have “good ties to UDM” and what you mean by that? I’ve tried to find pre-dental events that they are hosting but have not had any luck so far this year.

Also, I was thinking of possibly enrolling in a masters program starting in the Fall because at this point, I have taken just about every upper level science course at the undergrad level. Would doing an academic update after the fall semester ends help me as well. It would end in late November if I get accepted to this specific program.
Yeah, what admissions said is good. the 3.0 cutoff is pretty much where you will have to be at the minimum for schools to not screen you out right away.

When I say good ties to UDM, I think: attended undergrad there, have close relatives who are alumni of the dental school, volunteering at/for UDM dental, or like you said Attending in-person visits, or research at the school. I attended my dental school's undergrad institution and did extensive research in undergrad at the university which were my ties to the school.

I'm not for sure about the master's program unless it's going to finish by the time you'd start dental school. Most schools want you to finish the degree you've started and not just leave the program. But each school has its specifics in regard to this matter. Schools may also not consider you for admission if you state you're attending a master's program and will wait until you submit your first semester grades before making a decision to invite you for an interview. And by that time schools will have conducted a majority of their interviews already and possibly start sending offers out which means you'd be competing for fewer spots. What master's program have you thought about?

I don't want to tell you exactly what you need to do, because everyone's journey to dental school is different. I think for right now, keep your focus on taking (and doing very well) your DAT. Because if you don't do well, then doing a master's program may help bolster your application and show you can handle the course load. But, if you do end up doing well (21-22AA+ or higher) I'd say your chances for admission are better and you should apply for the next cycle if you think you are ready.

Keep your focus on the task at hand! The DAT is one big step in a much larger staircase. There are a lot of moving parts that have to fall into place to receive an acceptance offer. Keep going strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.