Has anyone gotten into UNAM/attended UNAM's veterinary school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karlolliopo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am just looking for some info on getting into this veterinary school in Mexico City. It recently got accredited and it would be a possibility for me since I speak fluent Spanish (and also because it's so cheap). How hard is it to get in?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have seen previous posts about this and people actually had a lot of info, was hoping for a follow up. Either way, thanks for the reply.

I know there has been a lot of unrest at that university and in that city in particular in the past 6 months. Unsure how much it affects the vet school, but I knew a girl looking to transfer out before it got really bad.

I have seen previous posts about this and people actually had a lot of info, was hoping for a follow up. Either way, thanks for the reply.

I should have clarified, I don't think anyone will be able to give you an answer because in the many years I have been on this forum I have never seen anyone that attends or has been accepted to this school post here. Maybe someone will come along, but I kind of doubt it. Sorry I can't be of any more help

hello i see this thread is a few years old but i was wondering if you found information or ended up going? i am interested in going too. i am living in the us and have dual citizenship and am fluent also but have a lot of questions about the university and specially on how to get admitted

hello i see this thread is a few years old but i was wondering if you found information or ended up going? i am interested in going too. i am living in the us and have dual citizenship and am fluent also but have a lot of questions about the university and specially on how to get admitted
Sadly, it looks like the OP hasn’t been on since October of 2016 so I don’t think they’ll be replying to you

Sadly, it looks like the OP hasn’t been on since October of 2016 so I don’t think they’ll be replying to you
ohh okay i didn’t know you could see that when they were on, i am new to this site, thank you for telling me

From the matching thread in Vet:

Hello I just made an account and am new to this but i really want to find more information on the
National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM)
College of Veterinary Medicine. I am currently in my third year of undergrad getting a degree in environmental science and i was originally working on my prevet requirements too then i found out that unam doesn’t need that, or letters of recommendation, or experience before attending/applying. I have a lot of questions and would like to speak to someone who attends unam so they can hopefully help me out. I have dual citizenship and am fluent in spanish (although it is my second language and might still be challenging for me since i just know it from speaking with family, i don’t know proper grammar). I am wondering how the application process works. How should i prepare for the exam? what are my chances of getting in, especially since i do not live in mexico? how difficult is the program? I will be going to mexico in december to check out the school, would i be able to speak to someone at the school when i go, like and advisor? if i graduate december of 2019 when should i apply to attend the in august of 2020?

So those are the reasons you want to go there?

Members don't see this ad :)
From the matching thread in Vet:

So those are the reasons you want to go there?
no that’s not the reason i want to go there at all, i was just saying i was working on my prevet requirements for attending a school in the united states but then found out that one of the school i wanted to go to (unam) didn’t require those. i already wanted to go before i even knew that.

no that’s not the reason i want to go there at all, i was just saying i was working on my prevet requirements for attending a school in the united states but then found out that one of the school i wanted to go to (unam) didn’t require those. i already wanted to go before i even knew that.

A coworker of mine attended that university, she now practices as a vet tech and has no plans to go back to vet school.
I don't know much, if anything at all, about the school. But she said it prepared her so poorly for being a veterinarian that she wasn't able to successfully pass any of her tests and she felt it gave her the education level of a tech.
I'm unsure how true this applies now, but I know she isn't practicing in the US and has no plans to now.

Playing devils' advocate here, but don't you think it would be worthwhile to spend some time in the field to make sure veterinary medicine is what you really want to do? The reason I'm bringing it up is that it sounded like, from your post, that the main reason you are pursuing more information on this school is so that you can avoid having to do those things. To each his own, but I would still make sure to get experience.

Reactions: 1 users
A coworker of mine attended that university, she now practices as a vet tech and has no plans to go back to vet school.
I don't know much, if anything at all, about the school. But she said it prepared her so poorly for being a veterinarian that she wasn't able to successfully pass any of her tests and she felt it gave her the education level of a tech.
I'm unsure how true this applies now, but I know she isn't practicing in the US and has no plans to now.
I'm curious if she attended before they got AVMA accreditation? I would hope that an accredited program would prepare the students to be a veterinarian...

Reactions: 3 users
Playing devils' advocate here, but don't you think it would be worthwhile to spend some time in the field to make sure veterinary medicine is what you really want to do? The reason I'm bringing it up is that it sounded like, from your post, that the main reason you are pursuing more information on this school is so that you can avoid having to do those things. To each his own, but I would still make sure to get experience.
Yes i already work at an animal hospital and have been for 2 years now, and also volunteer at a shelter and a sanctuary farm. I also am still getting my prevet required classes done since i already finished most of them and also because i still need them to apply to the 3 united states schools that i am interested in. i see i may have worded things wrong and see why you might think that, i will not be avoiding anybtimg since i still need them for other schools but i want more information because i have info on the united states schools but it’s difficult to find information on the application process for people who don’t live in mexico. thank you for your insight though

That is very interesting. I know that this is an accredited school and you graduate with a doctoral degree in veterinary medicine, not vet tech. It is also said to be one of the best and oldest schools in latin america. Thank you for your information though.

Yes i already work at an animal hospital and have been for 2 years now, and also volunteer at a shelter and a sanctuary farm. I also am still getting my prevet required classes done since i already finished most of them and also because i still need them to apply to the 3 united states schools that i am interested in. i see i may have worded things wrong and see why you might think that, i will not be avoiding anybtimg since i still need them for other schools but i want more information because i have info on the united states schools but it’s difficult to find information on the application process for people who don’t live in mexico. thank you for your insight though

No problem! Glad you have the experience. And thanks for not getting defensive - this was a very mature clarification and response that is sometimes lacking in (some, certainly not all, but some) pre-vets who come to ask questions here. Best of luck.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi all! I am back! I didn't end up going to vet school at UNAM, I am actually pursuing other goals, but I am happy to answer questions about the application process for UNAM (I did do a bit of research).

Hello, so did you happen to find any other people who had gone to UNAM and had a positive experience when coming back to the US? Was the application similar to US vet schools?

The application process is different. Entry into the program is based on an exam run by UNAM. This link actually has a very thorough summary of the application process: Veterinary Medical School Admission Requirements 2018.

UNAM is the top school in Mexico so there are a lot of people trying to get into its vet program. The entry exam has a total of 128 questions and you typically have to score at least a 108 to get in. I have not met any UNAM graduates working in the States but I have found info online about people who have come back from UNAM and have been successful in practicing in the States. I also found this really cool professor who got her DVM at UNAM and is currently a professor at UC Davis: Faculty Results | UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine

A lot of the more successful vets from Mexico practicing in the US come from this school :) So I wouldn't doubt they have a good vet program.

Last edited:

My honest opinion is that vet school is what you make of it. I think it's interesting to see the vast difference between two graduates of the school. One is a vet school professor at UC Davis, no less, while the other is a vet tech. As long as you are a good student at this vet school, I think doors will open up to you. The most important thing to consider is whether the school is the right fit for you.

Last edited:
I am just going to dump a list of vets who graduated from UNAM and are working in the US/Canada (I found these vets by doing the google search "dvm unam") :

I also found this vet who went to UNAM and actually grew up in the US and came back to practice in the US (before the school was accredited):
Dr. Yoeny Calas-Dobson DVM

Also this, the obituary of a US native who went to UNAM:

Another US native, I think:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users