Has anyone heard from Mayo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The only person on SDN that I know that has been accepted to Mayo so far is efex. Anyone else hear anything since the ranking and/or hold emails?
I wonder how many acceptance they have offered so far?

Members don't see this ad.

Not to overshadow your question MDT, but to back up, how long did it take after your interview before you got the rank/hold emails? I interviewed 2/2 and I haven't heard anything about being ranked or rejected for that matter.

I wonder if my rejection got lost in the mail...

They've accepted about 30 so far. Since it only took about 50 to overfill the class last year, I think they will be a bit more conservative this year to not overbook. The last few intervies are next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed back in November before Thanksgiving....and still the silent treatment. Just that e-mail about being considered later.

Originally posted by MNgrrl
Not to overshadow your question MDT, but to back up, how long did it take after your interview before you got the rank/hold emails? I interviewed 2/2 and I haven't heard anything about being ranked or rejected for that matter.

I wonder if my rejection got lost in the mail...

Don't worry MNgrrl, it was 5-6 weeks before I heard back with an email about being ranked. I also got the second email that says you are on hold for a decision later the same day.

Mpp - Do you know if will we hear about accept, waitlist or reject by March 15, or later than that?

Thanks

Also still waiting on mayo, interviewed mid-October. I was told the waitlist is generated sometime mid-April.

I second mpp on the conservative acceptance strategy, the impression i got was that they were limiting the number they gave out this year. It also seemed (and this is just my take) that they were going to wait longer to make decisions.

To MPP, our official inside source at mayo this year, are you pretty sure about 30 acceptances so far?? Thats heartening to hear this close to march 15. And thanks for all your posts this cycle.

Back to the OP's questions, has anyone else gotten an acceptance from mayo?

good luck ya'll

Hello,

I was complete at Mayo in August, I interviewed there in December, and I learned that I was accepted last month. I got the acceptance e-mail and a phone call from the admissions department a few days after the confusing e-mail about being ranked.

Everyone there seems *extremely* helpful. It may be worth calling.

Best of luck!

-rompy

Congrats rompy! Mayo is such a great school, you are truly blessed to have the opportunity!

Where does Mayo rank on your list? Do you think you will be attending next year?

Hello MDT,

Thank you very much. I really do feel blessed. I think I would get an excellent medical education at Mayo and I would be very excited to go there next year. However, I am still waiting to hear back from a couple other schools. Mayo's small class size and relatively secluded location are my biggest concerns right now.

By the way, congrat's on Northwestern MDT! My family is from Chicago, so I'm crossing my fingers that I'll hear good news from them! I think deciding between Mayo and NU would be a difficult task, even though the two schools take such differing approaches to medical education. Hopefully we'll both get to have that tough choice to make though. :)

-rompy

Originally posted by MDT
Congrats rompy! Mayo is such a great school, you are truly blessed to have the opportunity!

Where does Mayo rank on your list? Do you think you will be attending next year?

Not to contradict mpp, the Mayo inside source, but I called Mayo about 2 weeks ago and she said they had only filled about half the spots so far...around 20. Maybe this is just my wishful thinking, since it's my #1 choice, but that's what Cindy told me. Maybe she was saying that they had handed out half of all the acceptances that they were going to (30/60)? I don't know. Anyway, I hope we all get the good news soon!

I called today and talked with Cindy. She told me they had given out a little more than half of the places in the class. She also told me they will make enough offers to fill the class by March 15, but the alternate list will not be formed until about April 1st.

The good news is there is still room to get an acceptance....

MDT and pud129, thats very helpful and encouraging information, thanks for posting. According to this, they have close to 20 acceptances to offer in the next two weeks or so. Now, how to get myself in on that action....

Hey, does anyone know how many people Mayo usually takes off of their wait list? I don't have high hopes for getting an acceptance before March 15th.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the year...it varies quite a bit. Last year it only took 50 acceptances to fill the class, the year before 80, and the year before almost 100.

Anyone out there hear from Mayo lately? I interviewed the 1st week in Feb and they said the usual 4-6 weeks would likely be shortened so they could have all their appointments by 3/15, but I haven't heard anything and am starting to get antsy....

I wish! I got the "ranked" email in early January... silence since then...

did it look like this? It just appeared in my inbox....Are they letter people or phonecall people? I take this to mean I am prolly waitlisted.

Congratulations on your accomplishments which qualified you to be one of a
select few students to interview at Mayo Medical School and thank you for your
participation in the on-campus interviews. We are very appreciative of your
time and willingness to visit Rochester, Minnesota.

The Admissions Committee recently reviewed and discussed your application.
Your committee rank has been determined and will be considered when
appointments are made to the class entering in 2004. We will continue to
update you with any activity taken on your application.

I appreciate your patience during this process, and again thank you for your
interest in Mayo Medical School. If you should have any questions or concerns
regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

You are not necessarily waitlisted. Everyone gets that email. Since they only make a few appoinment decisions (2-4) at a time, they are just letting you know that they have ranked you and if any other decisions are made, they will let you know.

I'm guessing that they are probably making one last appointment decision prior to 3/15 to fill the class.

hi everyone..

i've been a reader of the site since i've started interviewing - but i've never actually posted anything. so this is my first post :)

- i just wanted to add what i've heard from mayo (which was an awesome school!)

- i interviewed late january.. got an email in late february that i was ranked.. and actually received an email about a week after saying that i was now on a "hold status".. so i guess i am not being considered for a spot until all the spots to the class have been filled.

-just letting you guys know that there seemed to be another category besides "accepted" "rejected" and "waiting for an answer" :D - i am on "hold status" until an "alternate list is compiled"

But in all honesty.. i loved the school.. but being from sunny so california - the -10 degrees DID NOT agree with me :scared:

I asked for clarification regarding the rank email and this is what they said

"The next status for you will be a hold status or appointment. By March 15th the class will be determined and you will be notified of your status:
appointment, alternate list or rejection status."

So it looks like hold status will eventually become alternate or rejection status...

Originally posted by MDT
The only person on SDN that I know that has been accepted to Mayo so far is efex. Anyone else hear anything since the ranking and/or hold emails?
I wonder how many acceptance they have offered so far?

hi
i was accepted back in dec(?).....not sure at all about the date. but i withdrew my acceptance before X-mas break (i had heard from some other schools and wanted to let the office know asap). i actually did NOT get a ranking e-mail. i called the office after 4 weeks (my interview was in oct) asking about what was up and then jane called me back with the good news.

good luck everyone!!!!
loomis

From what I understand, hold status can become an acceptance, not necessarily just alternate or rejection. After you are ranked, the next meeting when they make appointments (acceptances) if you are not one of those lucky 2-4 people, you are then in the hold category. When I talked with the admissions staff, they told me you can still recieve an acceptance from the hold category.
I was also told that they were going to keep around 60 people on the alternate list.

So, let's all keep our fingers crossed until 3/15.

thanks for the clarification MDT, keeping my fingers crossed

I think the committee meets on Thursdays, that's what my first interviewer told me.

By March 15th the class will be determined and you will be notified of your status:
appointment, alternate list or rejection status.

I was also told that they were going to keep around 60 people on the alternate list

For whatever reason, it didn't even cross my mind that Mayo's would be making rejection decisions by march 15th as well. And the waitlist--just assumed we would all be on it. Well, March 15th just got a whole lot more interesting. Cheers everyone, thanks for posting the info.

I haven't gotten the "hold status" email yet though, so I don't know if that makes a difference. She also told me they hoped to have a waitlist by April 1st, so if you hear nothing by 3/15 look to the beginning of April....

Someone mentioned the Adcom meets on Thursdays, so I thought I'd bump this today. Maybe a bit premature for march 15th though.

Bump. Anyone hear anything recently?

anyone? Bueller?

bumping again, i talked to the admissions office yesterday and they said they still have a couple of offers to give out, probably friday and monday. keep the phone lines open everyone. unfortunatley for me, i?m out of the country!!! also said alternate list would be generated by april 15th. good luck all, post back if you hear.

Does anyone know if they will tell you what position you are on the alternate list?

supposedly the alternate list is not ranked, nor tiered or anything like that, but i?ve heard people say that the admissions office will tell you if you should be holding on and have a decent chance of getting a spot, or if you should start looking elsewhere. so that makes me think there is some kind of ranking (i would think there must be) and we just don?t get to know about it. someone else in the know please feel free to dispute this speculation. thats all i know, good luck everyone.

Anyone who interviewed at Mayo early February get any emails about their application being reviewed??? Any idea?... I have not heard at all and I have no clue what is goin gon... I was told I would go into review right before the March 15 deadline.... anyone else hear anythign?

I interviewed there Feb 6th - a Friday, and received the "rank" email (posted elsewhere too) below. When I asked about 3/15 (which they mentioned to me as well) I got the clarification listed second. I haven't received a "hold" email as of yet. The waitlist is supposed to be formed sometime in April.

(1) Congratulations on your accomplishments which qualified you to be one of a select few students to interview at Mayo Medical School and thank you for your participation in the on-campus interviews. We are very appreciative of your time and willingness to visit Rochester, Minnesota.
The Admissions Committee recently reviewed and discussed your
application. Your committee rank has been determined and will be considered when appointments are made to the class entering in 2004. We will continue to update you with any activity taken on your application.
I appreciate your patience during this process, and again thank you
for your interest in Mayo Medical School. If you should have any questions or concerns regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

(2) The next status for you will be a hold status or appointment. By March 15th the class will be determined and you will be notified of your status:
appointment, alternate list or rejection status.

I can't quite believe it... I got a call from Mayo today, and I am accepted! I had resigned myself to hoping for a waitlist, but now there is no uncertainty! I will be a Mayo student next year!!!!

Did anyone else get good news today?

After talking with Jane, she said there were 6 lucky people who got the acceptance phone call/email today. Any other SDNers in the lucky group?

Congratulations MDT!! Way to go! I know how much you wanted to go to Mayo, so that is awesome.

What time did you get the email? I'm out of town right now, and so I won't be able to get a phone call, even if I am lucky enough. SO basically, when should I give up checking my email and start hoping for a waitlist? Again, congratulations!!!!

Hey pud -
Thanks!
The email was sent within minutes of the phone call (11am CT), but I'm not sure if they wait to send the email until after they talk with you or not. I'm crossing my fingers for good news for you too! They were also sending letters in the mail too. DON'T let worrying about this ruin your spring break!

next status date is April 15th according to Cindy, since they are ranking applicants through the end of the month and then hope to put together an alternate list. I still haven't gotten the "hold status" email. Anyone else out there get any info on their status at Mayo??

I emailed Mayo yesterday, and just got a response. They told me that I'm still on a "hold" status. Does this mean I have to wait until April 15th to find out if I've been waitlisted or rejected?:confused: +pissed+

First of all, MDT - congrats on your acceptance...

For the rest of us hoping for some St. Paddy's Day Luck 'o the Irish... I emailed Jane today and she said they still had 30 more files to rank, and that after that they would determine the alternate list. She also said she was hopeful that would be around April 15th. So...looks like we will in fact have to wait until around then to find out if we're on the alternate list or rejected.

Good luck!

what torture....

finally got my hold status email. now I can........wait like I have already been doing!!

anyone hear anything yet? assuming waitlists may be available sometime after 4/1 or is it 4/15?

I heard April 15th from Jane. It doesn't sound like that's a definite date though. I recently got a hold email (the 19th of March I think, so after the class was supposedly filled), so hopefully we'll hear something new in a couple of weeks.

Hopefully when May 15th rolls around some people will decline their acceptance to Mayo and then I am assuming that the acceptances will start rolling out guys. Good luck and hope to see you there this fall!

Hello everyone, I guess the debate has ended over when we will hear from mayo. I received an e-mail this morning telling me that I have been placed on the alternate list. It says the alternate list is not ranked, that they anticipate giving out more invitations to the class in the next 4 months (but not how many), and that we should reply if we would like to accept a spot on the alternate list. Well, i suppose waitlist is better than nothing, but 4 more months of waiting might kill me. Anyways, anyone else get the same? anyone get an acceptance? Good luck to those still waiting, i'm sure you'll hear the same news soon.

Originally posted by Beast
Hello everyone, I guess the debate has ended over when we will hear from mayo. I received an e-mail this morning telling me that I have been placed on the alternate list. It says the alternate list is not ranked, that they anticipate giving out more invitations to the class in the next 4 months (but not how many), and that we should reply if we would like to accept a spot on the alternate list. Well, i suppose waitlist is better than nothing, but 4 more months of waiting might kill me. Anyways, anyone else get the same? anyone get an acceptance? Good luck to those still waiting, i'm sure you'll hear the same news soon.

Got the same thing today. I wonder how many people they put on the alternate list and how many of them get acceptances.