Has anyone heard from Mayo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also got the alternate list email. Let the waiting continue.....
+pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+

Members don't see this ad.

anybody else have any other news for today? This is usually a pretty active thread.

Nike, someone mentioned in a previous post mayo was planning on keeping around 60 on the alternate list, but i don't know this firsthand. cheers.

Back in early March Jane told me they were going to keep about 60 people on the alternate list. I was just down in Rochester today and both Jane and Cindy are going to be out of the office for the rest of the week. So, I'm not sure if that number can be confirmed any time soon. I hope that some of you will hear good news in the next few months and I will get to meet you as my classmates in July!!!

Good Luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Orientation begins on Monday, July 26 and classes begin on Aug. 2. It's early, I know....

haven't gotten any alternate email as of yet. my stuff seems to come later than other SDNrs, maybe due to my later interview date, but this makes me nervous. anyone else out there in hold limbo like me?

OldLady, I haven't gotten any alternate list emails from Mayo yet either, and from what MDT said about Jane and Cindy being gone the rest of the week, it looks like we won't be hearing anything for the rest of this week at least (unless the dreaded snail mail from Mayo arrives instead...).

I can only hope they didn't send out all of their waitlist spots yet, and maybe they will still be sending some out in the next couple of weeks.

Oldlady and MNGrrl,
I also have not gotten the waitlist email. I called yesterday and they said that they were gonna try to send out all the waitlists yesterday or today. So I guess that kind of sucks for us. Hopefully they haven't sent them all out and will keep sending them out throughout the week. BTW, she said that they will probably keep ~80 on the waitlist. Good luck to both of you, and lets hope we hear something good!

Well, I officially resign from posting in this thread anymore...

Got the rejection letter today:(

Good luck to those of you going there next year, and those on the waitlist!

I am wondering if I am in the same boat. No word from Mayo. Hang in there MN Girl.

Well ****. The day I hoped would never come arrived today. I got the thin envelope from Mayo, my number one choice. I've been waiting since my interview in September, and this is what it came to. So MNGrrl, I can sympathize with you. I hope that you get off the waitlist at the U of MN and that I see you next year. That's where I'm headed, which I'm very pumped about. Anyway, I wish the best to efex and MDT at Mayo and hope you guys love it. Good luck to the Mayo waitlisters!

I am very sorry to hear that you guys received bad news...:( no matter where you go you will still receive a good education an M.D and you can always apply for residency at Mayo ;)

wish you the best at U of MN

anyone else out there still on hold status, with no email/mail recently?

edit: received rejection in mail today, Saturday

Members don't see this ad :)
hey efex, no news here. I called a couple of weeks ago to talk to jane and get the skinny on the alternate list. She said things won't really start moving until may 15th (no surprise), and that there are about 70 people on the alternate list this year. She mentioned that last year 12 kids were taken off the alternate list, so i guess thats not a terrible ratio. Anyone else have any news?

Efex, I read your post in another thread about the in-class time at Mayo, and I was wondering what your take was on that. I love alot of things about the school (P/F grades, facilities, financial aid, quality of education, res. placement, etc...) but being in class most of the day, and then trying to find time to study and everything else doesn't appeal to me. What do you think?

Anyone know how many are on the alternate list for sure? Sigh... If anyone gets off the alternate list, could you please let us know so we know how we stand.... Thanks.

R. Landgon

Beast I am with you...I think that the class time at Mayo is longer because we start rotations on our second year? but I am not sure. Yeah I hear you though..but Mayo students do extremely well on the boards so if it's not broke...I do not think that classes are mandatory *and* everything is online so you could stay home and study via the online lectures.

Time for a bump. Anyone hear anything at all?

I apologize beforehand for the annoying bumps i will continue to make to this thread over the next month.

Gosh guys I hope you hear good things after May 15th...I met a couple of students for the class of 2008 and they seem a great bunch! I hope that you can join us.

I found out today that Mayo has not yet made any appointments from the alternate list. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

So I hear there are 65 people who are on the alternate list.... No appointments have been made yet, but may be made pretty soon... Traditionally, I heard the alternate list moves fast early May.... but nothing is happening.... :confused: ugh... i hope i hear good news!!!! (kow) :scared:

davincicode, i was wondering if what you heard about the waitlist moving early may was supposed to be pre-may 15th or after. thanks, keep those fingers crossed.

also, has anyone heard the admissions staff say anything about them being more conservative with acceptances this year since they overbooked by 2 spots last year? just curious.

I have not heard anything regarding that...I hope that the list starts moving soon just keep your fingers crossed. I am headed up to MN next week to look for a home now *that* I am not looking forward to...

thanks for your response efex, I had heard a couple of current mayo students speculate about this, but never heard anyone in the admissions office actually mention this.

very very interesting news, I was told that as of today no one has yet withdrawn an acceptance from mayo. That is, of the original 42, everyone is still holding like indian poker. yikes!

Beast said:
thanks for your response efex, I had heard a couple of current mayo students speculate about this, but never heard anyone in the admissions office actually mention this.

very very interesting news, I was told that as of today no one has yet withdrawn an acceptance from mayo. That is, of the original 42, everyone is still holding like indian poker. yikes!

Did you hear this from the admissions office? I ask because I met accepted Mayo students at other second look weekends who stated that they were accepted to schools they prefer over Mayo and would be withdrawing...hmmm...interesting.

yes, i did. I guess that means they either changed their minds, or are holding on until the last minute? By chance, for those of us waiting, do you recall how many of those folks you talked to? ;)

Hi there Beast (and everyone else)... what I had heard is that traditionally, the alternate list moves during the first part of May...

now this year what is also different is that usually only a couple of MD/PhD students are accepted, but I heard MORE were accepted this year than previous years.... now if those MD/PhD students decide to go to Mayo, then it becomes tough on the waitlist....

if someone hears of any withdrawals, please let me know.. im sure students (like i would) who are indecisive will wait till the very last day to decide.... so let's keep our fingers crossed... sigh.... :rolleyes:

Beast said:
yes, i did. I guess that means they either changed their minds, or are holding on until the last minute? By chance, for those of us waiting, do you recall how many of those folks you talked to? ;)

Oh, only 3 that I remember...that's not really much, but I guess it's something, unless they did indeed change their minds. This really bites!

Come on...anyone? NO-ONE is withdrawing from Mayo??? Someone please post that they are withdrawing their acceptance.... :)