Has anyone here ever been rejected from all schools before? Anyone here a reapplying from last year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mitrieD

I'm just curious how competitive pod school is compared to other medical practices.

Members don't see this ad.

It is unlikely. Podiatry is sometimes what students who do not get into DO and MD programs resort to. Besides being limited in their career path to foot and ankle. I think podiatry is ****ing sweet. You have a huge chance of becoming a foot and ankle surgeon, dermatologist, all for the feet.

You want a comparison, here are what I'll call the matriculant rates. That is, simply comparing the number of applicants to the number of matriculants. For any of these professions, your chances of getting into any one school may be pretty low, but pretty much everyone applies to multiple schools which increases their odds greatly. Also, I tried to use 2014-2015 data because that's the most recent that's been released for pod. Optometry and dental data is harder to come by. I'm certainly not gonna buy the ADEA guide to dental schools just for a few updated stats.

OD Matriculant Rate: 70%, 2012-2013
DPM Matriculant Rate: 56%, 2014-2015
PT Matriculant Rate: 47%, 2014-2015
DDS/DMD Matriculant Rate: 41%, 2010-2011
MD School Matriculant Rate: 41%, 2014-2015

http://www.optomcas.org/files/2012-2013.pdf
https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/factstablea16.pdf
http://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017-2018-CIB_DIGITAL-FINAL.pdf
http://www.ptcas.org/uploadedFiles/PTCASorg/About_PTCAS/PTCASApplicantDataRpt.pdf
http://www.adea.org/publications/li...oolAppEnrollees2010ClassExecSummaryTables.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. But I think what skews the results a bit is that those who had very high GPA's but didn't make it into med school probably used Pod school as a plan B, and most likely got in. Versus those who have their main sights on Pod school.

Thanks for the reply. But I think what skews the results a bit is that those who had very high GPA's but didn't make it into med school probably used Pod school as a plan B, and most likely got in. Versus those who have their main sights on Pod school.
Even if it is skewed it doesn't matter. You were asking how competitive DPM admissions is. If there are people who don't get into MD school who turn around and apply to DPM school then that is a very real factor in the admissions process and those are people that you will directly be competing with for a seat. Even if that is somehow skewed, that is the reality of the situation. But I think it's actually a lot more complex than that anyway. There are some people in my class who were accepted to MD and/or DO programs and still went DPM anyway. There are some with good stats who never applied MD or DO. Besides that, people that don't get accepted to MD school don't just use podiatry as a backup. There are plenty of people in DO, PT, OD, PharmD, etc. that are there because they couldn't get into MD school.

Here were some stats for last year's matriculants:
Average MCAT across all schools: 497-498 (converted)
Lowest MCAT accepted: 481-482 (converted)
Highest MCAT accepted: 518 (converted)
Average sGPA across all schools: 3.3
Lowest sGPA accepted: 2.30
Highest sGPA accepted: 4.00
Average cGPA across all schools: 3.4
Lowest cGPA accepted: 2.41
Lowest cGPA accepted: 4.00

The stats are what they are, regardless of who is applying. If you want a shot at pod school you will need around a 498 MCAT, 3.3 sGPA, and 3.4 cGPA not counting grade replacement. if you have deficits in any of those areas then you need to make up for it elsewhere to balance your application. Low GPA you'll need high MCAT. Low MCAT you'll need high GPA. Low GPA and MCAT you'll need significant healthcare work experience, research experience, or a healthcare degree.

I guarantee that the person with the 481 MCAT didn't have 2.30 sGPA with a 2.41 cGPA and get accepted. The person with the 481 MCAT balanced their application somehow. The person with the 2.30 sGPA balanced their application somehow. The person with the 2.41 cGPA balanced their GPA somehow.

Reactions: 2 users
Even if it is skewed it doesn't matter. You were asking how competitive DPM admissions is. If there are people who don't get into MD school who turn around and apply to DPM school then that is a very real factor in the admissions process and those are people that you will directly be competing with for a seat. Even if that is somehow skewed, that is the reality of the situation. But I think it's actually a lot more complex than that anyway. There are some people in my class who were accepted to MD and/or DO programs and still went DPM anyway. There are some with good stats who never applied MD or DO. Besides that, people that don't get accepted to MD school don't just use podiatry as a backup. There are plenty of people in DO, PT, OD, PharmD, etc. that are there because they couldn't get into MD school.

The stats are what they are, regardless of who is applying. If you want a shot at pod school you will need around a 498 MCAT, 3.3 sGPA, and 3.4 cGPA not counting grade replacement. if you have deficits in any of those areas then you need to make up for it elsewhere to balance your application. Low GPA you'll need high MCAT. Low MCAT you'll need high GPA. Low GPA and MCAT you'll need significant healthcare work experience, research experience, or a healthcare degree.

I guarantee that the person with the 481 MCAT didn't have 2.30 sGPA with a 2.41 cGPA and get accepted. The person with the 481 MCAT balanced their application somehow. The person with the 2.30 sGPA balanced their application somehow. The person with the 2.41 cGPA balanced their GPA somehow.

Dat 518 doe.....dam

Reactions: 1 users

I have below average on both my GPA's and Mcat (cGPA: 3.0, sGPA: 2.9, and Mcat: 494). So I don't know what my chances are or if I'm wasting my time applying. Does it help that I graduated from a rank 20 school?

Reactions: 1 user
I have below average on both my GPA's and Mcat (cGPA: 3.0, sGPA: 2.9, and Mcat: 494). So I don't know what my chances are or if I'm wasting my time applying. Does it help that I graduated from a rank 20 school?
To be honest, there are people who take a lot of classes at community colleges and others who take classes at Ivy league schools, and I don't think the admissions offices give too much weight either way. Will it look better to the adcoms? Sure. Will it actually make a significant difference? Probably not. I remember AZpod saying that they had tracked their students that took certain courses at community colleges vs university and they found no difference in performance at pod school. If that's the case then the difference between a top 20 or a bottom 20 university might not mean much once you're in pod school.

That being said, I wouldn't call anything a waste. Even if your chances aren't high, you do still have a chance at getting in. In addition, actually applying only costs a couple hundred bucks from what I remember. What will you get for that money?

Outcome 1: You get invited to interview somewhere, you get accepted.

Outcome 2: You get invited to interview somewhere, you don't get accepted. The fact that you get an interview from anywhere means you're in the ballpark. At that point it might just be a matter of getting more volunteer/shadowing hours, retaking the MCAT for a couple more points, and reapplying the next cycle. People will apply to and get rejected from MD schools a few years in a row before they give up, why shouldn't you be willing to put in just as much effort to get what you want out of life?

Outcome 3: You do not get invited to interview. You can still contact the adcoms and ask them what exactly you could do to make your application more appealing to them. They will tell you. This information is very valuable. It may be something as simple as retaking the MCAT or something as extreme as completing a Master's degree but they will tell you exactly what needs to be done to make yourself more desirable. They can't do that if you give up now and never send the application in the first place.

To be honest, there are people who take a lot of classes at community colleges and others who take classes at Ivy league schools, and I don't think the admissions offices give too much weight either way. Will it look better to the adcoms? Sure. Will it actually make a significant difference? Probably not. I remember AZpod saying that they had tracked their students that took certain courses at community colleges vs university and they found no difference in performance at pod school. If that's the case then the difference between a top 20 or a bottom 20 university might not mean much once you're in pod school.

That being said, I wouldn't call anything a waste. Even if your chances aren't high, you do still have a chance at getting in. In addition, actually applying only costs a couple hundred bucks from what I remember. What will you get for that money?

Outcome 1: You get invited to interview somewhere, you get accepted.

Outcome 2: You get invited to interview somewhere, you don't get accepted. The fact that you get an interview from anywhere means you're in the ballpark. At that point it might just be a matter of getting more volunteer/shadowing hours, retaking the MCAT for a couple more points, and reapplying the next cycle. People will apply to and get rejected from MD schools a few years in a row before they give up, why shouldn't you be willing to put in just as much effort to get what you want out of life?

Outcome 3: You do not get invited to interview. You can still contact the adcoms and ask them what exactly you could do to make your application more appealing to them. They will tell you. This information is very valuable. It may be something as simple as retaking the MCAT or something as extreme as completing a Master's degree but they will tell you exactly what needs to be done to make yourself more desirable. They can't do that if you give up now and never send the application in the first place.

Thanks for the advice

Both of my undergrad GPAs are identical to yours and my MCAT is only 2 points higher. Made up for it with a strong 3.5+ Masters. Don't even know if adcoms will factor that in or not but I'm still applying.

School rank in the grand scheme of things doesn't really matter.

What Bob said was pretty spot on. You won't know until you try. And even if you go in knowing you're a bit weaker, the feedback you get and the intensity of just knowing you gave it a shot even though its a bit scary is extremely helpful man. You got nothing to lose except a couple hundred bucks, which is small for what you're embarking on (my app currently has it estimated at $470ish to send to 8/9 schools).

Only way to go is up. Give it a shot and see where it goes. Worse case when you reapply, you know exactly what they're looking for and how to navigate the application process faster than the first timers ever could.

They definitely do pay attention to upward trends. It makes a big difference if your poor grades were freshman year or just this past semester. If your transcripts show that you've matured academically, as in Weirdy's case, they'll take note for sure.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what the 494 converts to on the old scale, but I think you'll get in somewhere. I've seen people with worse stats get accepted

OP, I thought you might find this interesting:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/rejected-from-ocpm.803612/

There's a lot of "garbage" in there, but beneath it all is something good.

Cliffs:
-Applied to ALL 9 schools
-very bad stats, but a good MCAT
(2.5 and 2.4 GPAs *including a masters)
-Had multiple arrests; cases were dismissed
-Accepted by two schools

So there's hope for everybody, I guess.

OP, I thought you might find this interesting:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/rejected-from-ocpm.803612/

There's a lot of "garbage" in there, but beneath it all is something good.

Cliffs:
-Applied to ALL 9 schools
-very bad stats, but a good MCAT
(2.5 and 2.4 GPAs *including a masters)
-Had multiple arrests; cases were dismissed
-Accepted by two schools

So there's hope for everybody, I guess.

This was in 2011. Admission has gotten more difficult..

They definitely do pay attention to upward trends. It makes a big difference if your poor grades were freshman year or just this past semester. If your transcripts show that you've matured academically, as in Weirdy's case, they'll take note for sure.

I can second this. Did really poorly my freshman year of undergrad and steadily improved from sophomore to senior year. I leaned on that in my interviews and felt like it helped me a lot. It's one thing to say that you've become a better student but when you actually have the stats to back it up, you're in a very strong place as an applicant.

Reactions: 2 users
bump for the 2016/17 cycle. Anyone apply to all 9 and got rejected by all 9?

There are people every year that don't get any acceptances. There were people last year who didn't get any, but I don't remember if they applied to EVERY school.

Have you?
I'll be applying to all 9, but I don't apply until the '17/'18 cycle so I'm unable to respond to this question at the moment; will certainly update this thread when I get there though.
There are people every year that don't get any acceptances. There were people last year who didn't get any, but I don't remember if they applied to EVERY school.

The "EVERY school" part is what we're after. Considering that there are only 9 schools, unless you're dead-set on a particular school to reasons like family, or whatever else, it's a good idea to apply to all 9. I'm not in a situation to be picky so I have no choice regardless.

Care to link me to the rejection threads? I have some time on my hands and I don't mind searching through it to see if I can get an answer to the thread title

I'll be applying to all 9, but I don't apply until the '17/'18 cycle so I'm unable to respond to this question at the moment; will certainly update this thread when I get there though.

The "EVERY school" part is what we're after. Considering that there are only 9 schools, unless you're dead-set on a particular school to reasons like family, or whatever else, it's a good idea to apply to all 9. I'm not in a situation to be picky so I have no choice regardless.

Care to link me to the rejection threads? I have some time on my hands and I don't mind searching through it to see if I can get an answer to the thread title
I'm not sure which threads. You'll probably find a lot of rejections in last cycles application thread, but it's a large thread. The thing about people that get rejected is they usually don't stick around long after to tell us all about it. They might hint at it or straight up tell us they've been getting rejected everywhere and then they kinda just stop posting.

If you're worried about getting rejected from all 9 schools, either your stats suck and you're grasping at straws (maybe you shouldn't be doing medicine in the first place) or you need a xanax because you worry too much. Or you applied super late

I'm obviously glossing over a lot of stuff like interview skills, personality, etc. but if you have the stats and can survive a 15 minute interview you will get in somewhere. In 5-10 years maybe we will be as competitive as MD/DO

If you're worried about getting rejected from all 9 schools, either your stats suck and you're grasping at straws (maybe you shouldn't be doing medicine in the first place) or you need a xanax because you worry too much. Or you applied super late

I'm obviously glossing over a lot of stuff like interview skills, personality, etc. but if you have the stats and can survive a 15 minute interview you will get in somewhere. In 5-10 years maybe we will be as competitive as MD/DO

Interesting perspective...

I don't mean to sound mean or anything. But each school publishes their average stats. Even if you are slightly below their stats you still have a decent shot at getting in if you apply early and have a good interview

Bump for answers to this juicy question.... :whistle:

How does one not get into a podiatry school?

Like I understand not getting into Midwestern or DMU, but Kent and Barry accept a ton of people.

haha no worries, we all know which schools have a ton of spots

And that's not to say Kent isn't a good school. I was very impressed when I interviewed there, all the students and faculty were super nice!

Smaller schools always fill up first.

Like I understand not getting into Midwestern or DMU, but Kent and Barry accept a ton of people.

Nice... that'll make me feel great knowing I'll be setting a record

McDonald's sell french fries...?? :D:p

No, the correct answer was "Would you like fries with that?"

It's gonna take a lot of training to get u up to McDonald's speed

Is it easier to get into Barry than the other schools? I'm sure I saw people here getting straight rejections from Barry but ii from others!

Is it easier to get into Barry than the other schools? I'm sure I saw people here getting straight rejections from Barry but ii from others!

From stats that I've seen it looks like it...but I got straight rejected from
Barry even though I was invited everywhere else to interview and every place I went I got accepted with scholarship. So even though there are only nine schools, cast you nets far.

Tbh I'm scared of getting rejected from all schools too. I'll apply multiple times if I have to, but still

From stats that I've seen it looks like it...but I got straight rejected from
Barry even though I was invited everywhere else to interview and every place I went I got accepted with scholarship. So even though there are only nine schools, cast you nets far.

Did they tell you why you were rejected?

no. just a standard rejection letter. I never asked either. I wasn't too heart broken about it as it was my last choice anyways.

Maybe something in your personal statement made them think you wouldn't be a good fit for the school culture?

I know they don't screen applicants so odds are your app definitely was seen by "human eyes"!

Would be interesting if they had a preference / catered to the crowd that doesn't have high stats, needs a second chance. Kent and Barry are my favorites after I spoke with reps from those schools! They seem like they look out for you, care what you have to say, and not just "... if your gpa isn't x, y, z, don't waste our time!!!"

Maybe something in your personal statement made them think you wouldn't be a good fit for the school culture?

I know they don't screen applicants so odds are your app definitely was seen by "human eyes"!

Would be interesting if they had a preference / catered to the crowd that doesn't have high stats, needs a second chance. Kent and Barry are my favorites after I spoke with reps from those schools! They seem like they look out for you, care what you have to say, and not just "... if your gpa isn't x, y, z, don't waste our time!!!"

maybe. but in two of my interviews I had very nice compliments on my PS, and I think it was definitely well written. by my own opinion...

Answer to thread title:

Yes, someone has