psychMDhopefully

2+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I am gearing up for a retake, I really dont want to study in my apartment this time around, its too comfortable and I just end up going to bed. I dont want to study at my university either. Probably what everybody else would do is go back home and spend time with their family while studying, But I cant do that. Is it crazy to want to move to another city, or state for a month or 2 just to study?

FistLength

7+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Not crazy at all, but I think your enthusiasm for getting away from it all will dwindle when your knee deep in board studying. At the end of the day its staring at a book. It shouldn't matter if your staring at a book in your apartment or in the library. The best advice someone gave me was to make a schedule and stick to it (even if you fail the first few days). Plan your nap time appropriately so you won't go to bed prematurely. Instead of napping in my bed I napped on the floor with a small comforter. If I slept in the bed forget it, wasn't waking up. Going home is harder because no one is on medical student schedule, nor will they really understand what it is about. Too many distractions.

Reactions: jqueb29

Phloston

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2012
Osaka, Japan
I am gearing up for a retake, I really dont want to study in my apartment this time around, its too comfortable and I just end up going to bed. I dont want to study at my university either. Probably what everybody else would do is go back home and spend time with their family while studying, But I cant do that. Is it crazy to want to move to another city, or state for a month or 2 just to study?
I think it's a great idea. Study wherever makes you happy.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2007
Narnia
Status
Medical Student
During dedicated studying I realized I had to have people around me to study properly. As long as there wasn't a lot of talking things worked out well.

Ven0m

boop
2+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2015
Calgary
Status
Medical Student
Not crazy... since you'll be in a totally different environment all the time, it will remind you that you're there to study. I was gonna say if you are planning to study for more than a couple months, then you might start getting used to the new place and start getting distracted, but for a month or two time is limited and it will constantly remind you of the drastic measures you took just to study effectively. And you probably wouldnt want to waste that effort once you move.