Has anyone here ever successfully patented anything?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying.

I'm starting to try.

Ok, I'm researching ways to start to try to patent something (it's a small, simple medical device).

Has anyone ever gone through this process before? I've heard of using Legalzoom.com as an inexpensive way to go about it (since hiring a patent lawyer is quite expensive). I've done a lot of research online and haven't found any US patents or applications with a device that addresses the same issue as mine does.

Any ideas? Advice? Tips?

Members don't see this ad.

I dunno, I would PM me with a complete description of what you are trying to patent and I'll see if it is worth it or not. All details.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
from what i understand (my cousin is a patent lawyer, so about 4 minutes worth of casual conversation) it isn't that easy because you need to cover every aspect that you can because if it is really a decent idea, people will do everything they can to circumvent even the slightest thing (using 60% plastic versus 58% plastic type of crap) to make their own device that is basically the same. if you really think the idea is a good one, i would see a patent lawyer. if you aren't sure if the idea is worth a patent lawyer, than it probably isn't.

however my advice could be a complete misunderstanding and an epic fail.

I have a friend who is currently working to get an idea patented (don't ask what it is, because IDK). Just to give you some background info:

1. Got his BS and MS degrees in chemistry from a HYPS school in 4 years.
2. Has a partner who has a PhD degree.
3. Applied for a 2 million dollar grant to cover startup costs over four years.

Conclusion: If you have a patent idea that is worthwhile, you need the know how and the money to get it off the ground.

I'm actually hoping to sell the rights to the patent to one of the large medical supply companies later on, because handling the manufacturing and business of it, long term, is really not something I'd have time for. This is if anything were to come of it at all.

I'm going to look further into getting a lawyer.

I'm actually hoping to sell the rights to the patent to one of the large medical supply companies later on, because handling the manufacturing and business of it, long term, is really not something I'd have time for. This is if anything were to come of it at all.

I'm going to look further into getting a lawyer.
Yes, a lawyer is the best way to go despite how expensive it is. I work for a med device company and we're fortunate to have our own lawyers on retainer. However, the company takes all the rights to the patent, so that sucks.

I read "Comercializing Successful Biomedical Technologies" a few months ago and it gave a good overview of the whole process from clinical trials to regulatory approval.

A lot of doctors come to us with ideas and fill out non-disclosure agreements and other IP forms and we basically take the idea through the NPD process and then on through approval and post-market work. Meanwhile, they sit back and collect royalties or help with research. Might be another way to go...

I have a patent pending. Filed the provisional in 2008, submitted the utility in 2009. Now it's the waiting game.

My advice: get a patent lawyer. They're not cheap, but the patent system is complicated. Even the University here hires this work out to the experts. If you want to be successful it's helpful to have someone who can help you navigate the processes.

oh...
did you just come up with the idea?

Get a lab notebook (bound, numbered pages)...write in pen...not that erasable junk. Write out the idea in full. Strike out if you have to (do not scribble out). And have someone sign and date as your witness at the end of every page.

Oh, and do not expect the lawyer to share you enthusiasm for you idea.

Looked into it one point for something non-medical ... to me, it just seemed unbelievably expensive and uncertain. I know there are certain programs where you can essentially file for a patent (so it's "pending") and submit your idea to agencies who have groups review, test, etc, and help you market, find a buyer, etc. This wasn't for a medical device though.

I definitely wouldn't discourage it, at all, but I'd just be ready for a long, expensive process.

I remember my first patent...thought I was going to be a bagillionaire too...Get a real-life patent attorney (pay the retainer for a patent search) Good luck with your first one!

LOL I don't think I'm gonna strike it rich, but hopefully I could get a major supply company to buy the rights to it. I just saw the need for something very simple. Actually made a couple prototypes and they worked really well for the issue.

SO the search for a patent attorney begins...

I haven't done it myself, but my father holds about seven patents. He's a writer and musician (both as a hobby) and just patents all his songs. Probably a different process. :shrug:

I'm trying.

I'm starting to try.

Ok, I'm researching ways to start to try to patent something (it's a small, simple medical device).

Has anyone ever gone through this process before? I've heard of using Legalzoom.com as an inexpensive way to go about it (since hiring a patent lawyer is quite expensive). I've done a lot of research online and haven't found any US patents or applications with a device that addresses the same issue as mine does.

Any ideas? Advice? Tips?

Dude. Ask a homeless person. They're always talking at length about their new inventions....

I'm serious. It happens every time one approaches me.

I haven't done it myself, but my father holds about seven patents. He's a writer and musician (both as a hobby) and just patents all his songs. Probably a different process. :shrug:

You mean copyright

oh...
did you just come up with the idea?

Get a lab notebook (bound, numbered pages)...write in pen...not that erasable junk. Write out the idea in full. Strike out if you have to (do not scribble out). And have someone sign and date as your witness at the end of every page.

Oh, and do not expect the lawyer to share you enthusiasm for you idea.

Also, make a photocopy, and certify-mail it to yourself...placing the label upon a candle-wax seal.

This way, at some point in time, you can open the envelope under the proper eyes (judge, etc.), proving the date of your idea.

You mean copyright

Yeah, I guess. It's just weird, since it comes in an envelope labeled "US PATENT OFFICE" or some other weirdness. Easy for me to confuse it, anyway!

I worked for a year and a half as a technology transfer consultant to small businesses. I was doing the patent searches and was involved with helping others patent their devices, although I didn't do all the work myself. My primary job was market analysis, helping the small businesses obtain grant money, and advising on royalties.

And you don't patent songs. You copyright them.

However copyrights can go through the patent office as trademarks do. Still a completely different process however ones that can be incredibly easily confused.

Take it from someone who has actually worked for a lawyer dealing with this issue. ;-)

I'm trying.

I'm starting to try.

Any ideas? Advice? Tips?

This is a joke of a website, for an LLC they would fill out a 5 question form and send it to my secretary of state and fill my name on a dummy contract they wrote for only $250.....:rolleyes:

Needless to say, most of these legal websites are just filling out publicly available forms and filling in your names on a dumb contract you could easily find with 10 minutes of Google research.

Don't waste your money.....