Has anyone here given up during undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PostalCatfish

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone got to a point and realized it wasn't going to happen? Not that I'm thinking about quitting...I just found out that I'll have a 'B' in organic I and many fellow students had well below that but plan to keep pushing towards medicine. Just curious as to what point someone knows.

Jay

Members don't see this ad.

Awwww......That sucks dude. Too bad the dream is over.

Have you thought about a backup plan yet? Check out the Podiatry section of these forums, you can still become a "doctor" and make 6 figures, and they'll accept your B in orgo.:cool:

Dude .... a B is a stellar grade in Orgo! Try to back it up with a bunch of A's.

Last time I did the math an A=4.0 plus a B=3.0 equals a 3.5 GPA which will get you into med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't give up!! A B in organic chem isn't bad at all, especially during the second semester; it's much tougher. I got Bs in both semesters of general chem, but then improved my later grades... If you really want to be a doctor, keep pushing yourself! You may not get into Harvard, but most schools' ave. stats are a 3.5 - a B in O chem won't destroy that GPA!!

Good luck, and keep the dream alive!!!

- Zina

Keep pushing it! Just be sure medicine is a path that you really want to take. Don't feel limited to just med school if you're unsure about it. There are other great paths too.

As others have said, one B is not going to break your app. I got a B- in Ochem 1 and an A in Ochem II. No one asked about it in my interviews and I got into several schools. If your other grades are good (a healthy number of As and lesser Bs) you'll be fine.

I'm not that worried about my B, and I'm not thinking about giving up but I'm worried about the people with D's and F's still going. Just thinking someone would know when to take another path.

Originally posted by PostalCatfish
I'm not that worried about my B, and I'm not thinking about giving up but I'm worried about the people with D's and F's still going. Just thinking someone would know when to take another path.

Why don't you let them worry about when it is time to quit?

No one other than yourself can say when to quit. There is no formula, no clearcut rule saying if you have a D it is time to quit.

Its time to quit when the individuals themselves feel like its time to quit.

don't quit buddy. I "quit" as an undergrad and decided on another path. It wasn't for academic reasons though. In fact,
I did worse in the alternate path I chose because my heart wasn't in it.

But point is, if medicine is what you want to do with your life, you'll find yourself right back as a pre-med - only as a 20-30 year old post-bacc student. Many of my friends bailed as undergrads. They graduated, found jobs, made money ... and realized they made the wrong choice. Now they're back as those annoying post-bacc gunners who always ask the "above-and-beyond" questions in class. :laugh:

Save yourself the regret. Getting into med school takes more than grades. Worry a little less about OChem and more about building faith and persistence- you'll need it through the whole process (and life).

Good luck.

What the other people said. I got B's in both of my Organics and I got into a top 20 school.

I almost quit also, I was taking 12 credits during a summer half term (2 months) and everything just seemed to be going wrong. i had ants in my apartment that would not die. My credit card got maxed out somehwo and so i couldn't buy anything, the laundry machine broke. I got a flat tire all in a span of 2 days. And on top of that I found numerous errors in my biochem textbook. It felt like the world was out to get me and I just exploded.

But long story short, with a little support from family I got back on my feet and dropped one of the classes and did my best. Wound up getting a B in a class, but at least i didn't do worse. Just do your best and let the cards fall where they may. Also keep in mind that the average person taking the MCAT exam CAN go to medical school. There are medical school's that will let the average applicant in with a 24 MCAT and a 3.0 GPA. Namely I am speaking about some of the forieng medical schools and DO schools and other health alternatives.

i had ants in my apartment that would not die. My credit card got maxed out somehwo and so i couldn't buy anything, the laundry machine broke. I got a flat tire all in a span of 2 days. And on top of that I found numerous errors in my biochem textbook. It felt like the world was out to get me and I just exploded.

You should write for John Stewert or something, that **** is hilarious.:laugh:

Let me share some brief highlights:

'i had ants in my apartment that would not die':laugh:
'My credit card got maxed out somehwo [sic] and so i couldn't buy anything, the laundry maching broke.':laugh:
'I got a flat tire all in a span of 2 days':laugh:
'And on top of that I found numerous errors in my biochem textbook.':laugh:

I salute you geldrop!

Hope that Helps

P 'geldrop: The Gift that Keeps on Giving' ShankOut

i got a b and c in organic...no worries! just keep doing good in other classes.