1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Has anyone here gotten a good score without taken Psychology

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by jedi silva, Aug 10, 2015.

1. jedi silva

5+ Year Member

I'm starting to get cold feet about my sept test date due to the fact that I have never taken psych.

Am I crazy to even think that I could teach myself psychology in 2-3 weeks?

2. kanda1o

Pre-Medical
    I was the same way except I haven't taken any sociology. I was nervous before I began studying, but it turns out my bio/biochem and psy/soc are my two highest sections for my practice FLs. The material is, IMO, surprisingly easier than you may think.

jedi silva likes this.
  3. Dr. Trenb

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You're not crazy, but you have a lot of work to do. Psychology section is probably the most memory dependent of all sections (That's not to say other sections don't require memorization). Are you just starting to study the psychology material? If that's the case, then I don't know how you can remember everything and practice in 2-3 weeks period.
    See if you finish all the material needed before the test. If you're not able to, then you should postpone it.

BerkReviewTeach and jedi silva like this.
  4. jedi silva

5+ Year Member

thanks. that's definitely good to hear.

Sadly i am. I've been going all out the whole summer reviewing the sciences and I was hoping I would be able to spend this month doing nothing but practice tests. It will definitely be a lot of work. For what it's worth my test date is sept 23rd

5. ac62994

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I believe in you! Good luck! :soexcited:

jedi silva likes this.
  6. gothicfoxes

gothicfoxes MD & MPH goals
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I found Nevid's Essentials of Psychology v. helpful and easy to comprehend. x

7. SirZaitsev

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Anyone know of a topic list for psych/soc that includes the terms that are left out in the prep books?

8. ElectricNoogie

ElectricNoogie MCAT enthusiast

Fellow [Any Field]
    Plenty of people have crushed the MCAT w/o a formal psych class. Most of my students who tested in 2015 did so. 2-3 weeks is a bit of a tall order though. Be sure to limit your Psych/Soc content review to only what is mentioned in the AAMC outline. Also integrate MCAT style Qs into your Psych review from the get go. Psych is very recall heavy and active learning will help the info stick better.

Good luck!

9. El-Rami

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Psychology is very, very easy compared to anything you encountered in a physical or natural science class. It's just memorization and understanding some basic research principles. I agree with the above that 2 weeks is cutting it, though.

10. NCPremed13

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The only psychology class that I ever took was an AP Psych class my junior year of high school (and I am currently a year out of undergrad). The only thing that I used to study the psychology was the AAMC study guide for psychology and the Khan Academy videos. The guide from AAMC tells you what percent of each topic will be on the MCAT, so I would definitely use it. Here is the link and for psychology, scroll down to page 67 until page 100: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/377882/data/mcat2015-content.pdf

jedi silva and SirZaitsev like this.
  11. ArtisticMed

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've never taken intro psychology or sociology but had some exposure to some of the topics through education and family studies classes. I studied using the Kaplan Behavioral Sciences book for about a month before my test date in April and scored 130 in this section. It's definitely doable if you understand the concepts and can recognize/apply them in other contexts, but you may need more than 2 weeks.

12. StudyLater

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I didn't remember a whole lot from psych and soc 101. I mean, you think I'm gonna give enough of a damn to consistently reiterate Erikson's stages of psychosocial development throughout my normal life? Nope. Forgot it all completely. Relearned it. Now I'm good.

Answer to your question is a resounding, emphatic no.

jedi silva likes this.