1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Has anyone in here studied abroad?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by rectalt, Dec 5, 2005.

1. rectalt

rectalt Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has studied abroad and the perception of dental schools towards students that have. I personally have spent a year abroad in the UK and was wondering if that would give me any type of leg up in this years more competitive application cycle.

My other stats are
    GPA: 3.36/3.17 SCI
    DAT: AA: 20 TS: 20 PAT: 18

Hopefully I will be getting good news this afternoon.

Any thoughts/comments on my chances. And congrats to everyone who has already received good news.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JessicaSimpson

JessicaSimpson Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I think it is a plus - one of those things that round out your application and help you stand out over someone with similar stats/background.

4. amberw

amberw Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I studied abroad in the Dominican Republic for a semester and I think it does add a competitive edge. If you can incorporate this experience of cultural awareness, additional language (Spanish for me) learning a adapt in a different setting, etc, it could enhance you as an applicant. It could also show your outside interest. It's all about how you word/ talk about the experience that could make it a positive or irrelevant.

5. Dr.BadVibes

Dr.BadVibes Membership Revoked
    Removed

Hey, I did a study abroad in the UK as well....of course you probably had to give in your transcripts from your UK school.....so schools will be well aware of your year abroad.

I went on five interviews, and I'd say on 3 of them, I was asked questions about my year abroad. It definitely wouldnt change someone's mind on your application, but it definitely acts as an extra bonus!

Studying abroad was one of the best decisions of my life! :thumbup:

6. BigRedDentist

BigRedDentist Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I studied abroad in Tasmania, Australia and have talked to each interviewer for at least 10 minutes about my experiences. Really live it up and get personal--they love it.