Has anyone in the history of mankind ever scored a 45 on the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cclawfjj

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just out of genuine curiosity

Members don't see this ad.

just out of genuine curiosity
I would assume there there has been people who have done that I mean there are people who get perfect scores on other standardized exams. I dont personally know anyone though Ive heard of people who scored 41 and 42.

I heard back in the days, the MCAT was much easier. It was just a set of multiple choice questions that asked about factual stuff, nothing like the passages we get here nowadays. So I think it was very possible to get a 45 back then (kind of like getting a 1600 today). Then they revamped it and it became harder to get a perfect score on the MCAT. For a while, they refused to give anyone higher than a 43 b/c they would always give the verbal score of "13-15" instead of a 14 or 15. Now, they have gone back to the old way of giving full scores to verbal and so I think it's possible that once in a blue moon, someone gets a full score on the MCAT. I just don't know anyone personally, nor have I heard of anyone who knew anyone....

Members don't see this ad :)
Rumour has it that someone in University of Calgary scored a 45T four years ago.
Rumour also has it that she had to reapply. I'm not sure how successful her second try turned out to be.

I never saw the score, but I do know a former MCAT instructor who also scored a 45- rumor was he scored 43 the first time too. He confirmed this to me, but again, i never saw- or asked to see the proof- He was by FAR one of the smartest ppl I know. He goes to the most famous med school there is now.... ???????

I heard back in the days, the MCAT was much easier. It was just a set of multiple choice questions that asked about factual stuff, nothing like the passages we get here nowadays. So I think it was very possible to get a 45 back then (kind of like getting a 1600 today). Then they revamped it and it became harder to get a perfect score on the MCAT. For a while, they refused to give anyone higher than a 43 b/c they would always give the verbal score of "13-15" instead of a 14 or 15. Now, they have gone back to the old way of giving full scores to verbal and so I think it's possible that once in a blue moon, someone gets a full score on the MCAT. I just don't know anyone personally, nor have I heard of anyone who knew anyone....
did they change the scale back then to? Or was it always out of 45?

I never saw the score, but I do know a former MCAT instructor who also scored a 45- rumor was he scored 43 the first time too. He confirmed this to me, but again, i never saw- or asked to see the proof- He was by FAR one of the smartest ppl I know. He goes to the most famous med school there is now.... ???????

Hold on. So this guy took the MCAT, scored a 43, and retook it in order to get his 45???
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Alot of the older tests also tested on drastically different material as well. I believe stuff like Kingdoms, Families, Genus, etc..etc. and similarly related material had made its way out of the MCAT in the 80s. Not sure though.

In doing a lil' search to see what's out there about this, I came across the following:

Each of the three multiple choice sections is worth 15 points for a total of 45 points, but it's nearly impossible to achieve a perfect score.

Just to give you an extreme example that the MCAT is not the only measurement which is important: 60 applicants were admitted to allopathic medical schools in 2005 who had an MCAT score which was less than 17. Keep in mind that there are a few allopathic medical schools in Puerto Rico, for example, which have very low MCAT averages (20.1, 21.3 and 23). These schools could be responsible for many of these numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read sometime ago in SDN about a girl that got a 44Q in her MCAT and was accepted to all top ten schools...

Hold on. So this guy took the MCAT, scored a 43, and retook it in order to get his 45???
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

hey some people want that perfect score. considering that they were probably a couple of questions away from it the first time they figured what the heck?

My friend got a 43. She was absolutely shocked because on her practice exams she was scoring in the 34-36 range.

there is a princeton review teacher in san diego who apparently tok it for fun and now has a 44t

and he doesnt want to go to med school

also, I heard he is kind of a d*ck, but i cannot confirm this

Man, all Princeton Teachers say crap like that. 'I took it for fun, and broke 43 easy. I don't want to go to medical school, teaching for this company is my life!'

I was under the impression that because the test is curved, and no one can make a 0 on a section, or really a 1 for that matter, that there is no statistically possible way of getting a 45.

I had also heard that AMCAS had never given a score of a 45.

Man, all Princeton Teachers say crap like that. 'I took it for fun, and broke 43 easy. I don't want to go to medical school, teaching for this company is my life!'

I was under the impression that because the test is curved, and no one can make a 0 on a section, or really a 1 for that matter, that there is no statistically possible way of getting a 45.

well it's impossible to get a 0, 1, or a 2 because the lowest you could get in a section is 1. :p

I think we are all ignorant on this subject, but my understanding of the MCAT set up currently is as described above: a 45 is impossible. In that sense, the MCAT accomplished what all standardized test are supposed to accomplish (but most don't): it differentiates people, even at the highest level. Everyone who gets a 1600 on the SAT is not equal in intelligence or knowledge, but the test is easy enough that a large number of people can achieve that school. So for colleges considering kids with 1600s, they really can't tell a difference between them, even though such a difference exists. For the MCAT, they are able to spread everyone out, so to speak, and see just who is the same and who is not because it is impossible to max out.

I think.

there is a princeton review teacher in san diego who apparently tok it for fun and now has a 44t

:laugh: :laugh: gotta love it.

:laugh: Some of my previous tpr teachers were "naturally talented" as well....and those that were not "naturally talented" were totally down-to-earth and learned individuals. The "gifted" teacher was not very good at conveying basic g.chem concepts to the class though. At the end of the course, he told us that he was not certain if he wanted to go to med. school (his last MCAT score was almost expired), and that he would like to take the CBT for fun :laugh: I hope to say that one day in my application for TPR. :thumbup:

I have never seen anyone who scored higher than a 43 post about it on SDN, but there are rampant rumors about higher scores; see the rest of the posts in this thread. :p Ellen Julian from the AAMC has said that it *is* possible to score a 45 on the MCAT, and that some people *have* done so. I don't know when they did it (i.e., before or after 2003) or how many of them there were. The only other thing I can tell you is that when I took the MCAT (Aug. 2004), there were two 43s, no 44s, and no 45s. I emailed the AAMC, and they told me. :)

not a dick - kind of a dooche.

he's going to ucsf i believe.

Why do people keep saying it's "impossible" to get a 45? The only hard part would be the verbal section, since you would need to get every single question right for a 15. For the PS and BS sections, you could get a handful wrong in each and still get a 15. A 45 is completely possible now that a perfect score on verbal is always 15. It's just a question of how frequently it happens.

This guy I work with "claimed" to have scored a 44Q and got accepted to Harvard with a 3.2ish GPA. He says he turned down his acceptance a week before school started in August b/c he wanted to enjoy life and what not and didnt want to be a doctor. Now he is working on his PhD in Kinesiology. Last week I asked him how did he study.. and he claimed "I didn't"

Why do people keep saying it's "impossible" to get a 45? The only hard part would be the verbal section, since you would need to get every single question right for a 15. For the PS and BS sections, you could get a handful wrong in each and still get a 15. A 45 is completely possible now that a perfect score on verbal is always 15. It's just a question of how frequently it happens.

are you sure? I remember looking at a scale in a practice book a while back and I thought it said you could only miss one or 2 tops to get a perfect in BS and PS. Not sure about the validity of that scale though.

The scale depends on the test, so the # you can get wrong and still get a 15 varies. Either way, it has to be possible because some people do get a 15 on one or more sections every time the test is administered. Since 15's are in fact awarded on all three sections it cannot be impossible to score 45, but it is very unlikely. The hard part is for someone to ace all three at the same time, but since a huge number of people have taken the MCAT, 45's probably do happen, if only very rarely.

lol, u can miss a handful and get a 15? i feel sorry for u since ur hand must not have fingers on it...

Based on some of these comments, I tend to wonder how old some of you kids are---any 8 year-old's out there???
--referring to rude remarks as well as a post made on weed and drugs--

Based on some of these comments, I tend to wonder how old some of you kids are---any 8 year-old's out there???

how many 8 year olds you know do weed and drugs?

I guess I'm not getting a perfect score on Verbal since I don't remember reading anything about weed in this topic:eek: