Has anyone joined military before medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted640852

I know Caribbean schools don't qualify for HPSP, but would joining the military, in general, pay for medical school? I'm not really familiar with how the military works when it comes to paying for college, but I know that a recruiter was trying to get me to join the Navy when I was in undergrad by telling me the military would pay for school and I could continue taking classes at my college. I don't know how true that is, but if it is true, would the military pay for Caribbean medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

I know Caribbean schools don't qualify for HPSP, but would joining the military, in general, pay for medical school? I'm not really familiar with how the military works when it comes to paying for college, but I know that a recruiter was trying to get me to join the Navy when I was in undergrad by telling me the military would pay for school and I could continue taking classes at my college. I don't know how true that is, but if it is true, would the military pay for Caribbean medical school?
Only if the gi bill afterwards could be used for it.

You won’t get med student incentives and can’t even enlist as a reservist because being offshore wouldn’t let you drill

Military wont pay your tuition, but you do get some decent perks like a housing allowance. I have heard of people being able to stay in the reserves and work their drill schedule around school, but I think it depends on your length of duty/location/rank/and your commanding officer