Has anyone on a waitlist emailed the dean of admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camstah

running thru dandelions
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
if so, what did you say to try and get off of the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

Camstah,

I've seen some of your posts, so I'm guessing you're wondering about e-mailing the Dean at USC?

In your case I would definitely e-mail him(her?) and anyone else you can possibly think of who might be connected to the admissions process (maybe even your interviewers?).

In this e-mail I would be:
1. Brief
2. Courteous
3. As absolutely, wildly in LOVE with USC as you can possibly be. This might include discussing your commitment to health care in Los Angeles, why you love the challenge of working in health care in Los Angeles, why County hospital awes and inspires you, the fact that you have been accepted to another medical school but would really like to to to USC. You might also mention the fantastic friends, family and mentors you have to support you in the area (if that's true). Lastly, I might be pretty clear that having been waitlisted twice has in no way detracted from your love of those funky funky Trojans, and you believe it's still the kind of place that will help you learn to be a wonderful physian.

Best of luck!

camstah,
can I write one for you too? I think all the USCers are routing for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
late inthe game said:
Camstah,

I've seen some of your posts, so I'm guessing you're wondering about e-mailing the Dean at USC?

In your case I would definitely e-mail him(her?) and anyone else you can possibly think of who might be connected to the admissions process (maybe even your interviewers?).

In this e-mail I would be:
1. Brief
2. Courteous
3. As absolutely, wildly in LOVE with USC as you can possibly be. This might include discussing your commitment to health care in Los Angeles, why you love the challenge of working in health care in Los Angeles, why County hospital awes and inspires you, the fact that you have been accepted to another medical school but would really like to to to USC. You might also mention the fantastic friends, family and mentors you have to support you in the area (if that's true). Lastly, I might be pretty clear that having been waitlisted twice has in no way detracted from your love of those funky funky Trojans, and you believe it's still the kind of place that will help you learn to be a wonderful physian.

Best of luck!

dude, your number three like read my mind. thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

patzan said:
camstah,
can I write one for you too? I think all the USCers are routing for you.

;) please feel free to write one for me....i'd be your best friend in med school......
cool pics by the way......it's nice to put a face to the (screen)name.... :D

camstah said:
if so, what did you say to try and get off of the waitlist?

I e-mailed the director of admissions at my top choice and I requested to speak to her in person or over the phone to further discuss my interest in the school. I sent her a letter explaining why I wanted to go there and what I would contribute to the class. It was more of a "Did you receive my letter?". I also said I am willing to wait until the last minute to see if I will be accepted. Good luck! :luck: :)

Yes, i e-mailed both Yale's and Penn's deans. Only Yale's responded.

sad...i emailed yale's and they haven't gotten back to me

DrJ2B said:
I e-mailed the director of admissions at my top choice and I requested to speak to her in person or over the phone to further discuss my interest in the school. I sent her a letter explaining why I wanted to go there and what I would contribute to the class. It was more of a "Did you receive my letter?". I also said I am willing to wait until the last minute to see if I will be accepted. Good luck! :luck: :)

So, I wrote this letter too and then I also confirmed its receipt by email and also conveyed that I would wait until the very last minute... but now what?

Dear applicant,
I have receive all 40 of your emails praising X medical school and I thank you for your apreciation. However, I have found your method of belipping my buttocks rather annoying and I have chosen to be proactive in preventing any more of your stalker-like behavior. I'm sorry there is no longer an opening for you in our medical education program this year. Please do not contact me ever again.
-Dean Worsinowkowchovski.

indo said:
Dear applicant,
I have receive all 40 of your emails praising X medical school and I thank you for your apreciation. However, I have found your method of belipping my buttocks rather annoying and I have chosen to be proactive in preventing any more of your stalker-like behavior. I'm sorry there is no longer an opening for you in our medical education program this year. Please do not contact me ever again.
-Dean Worsinowkowchovski.

:laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, that's what I did too for Emory. I also e-mailed the director of admissions (as opposed to the dean).

I think it's important to find out about how the waitlist works first. If it is ranked and then set it stone, don't bother doing anything since it probably won't help and just annoy the staff.

-X

DrJ2B said:

How did you get ahold of their e-mail addresses?

Cuteasaurus said:
How did you get ahold of their e-mail addresses?

I got the addresses from the business cards I got from them on interview day. If I did not get one, I just called up the school and asked for it. The secretaries are usually very helpful at most schools.