Has anyone OOS gotten into UW MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HumbleMD

hmmmm...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So maybe I'm just bitter about the rejection, but I was just curious if you've heard of anyone getting accepted to UW's MD-program while OOS (MDApps revealed only MSTP acceptees). I'm not a URM, but do have a demonstrated commitment to working with Underserved populations and was pretty up-front about it in my PS.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm with you on that one Humble. I got the no thanks letter a couple days ago. I was expecting it, but I'm still curious to know if there's any consideration for anyone out of the WWAMI. They definitely pushed the MD/PhD program though, which I found interesting.

In 2003, the out-of-state acceptance rate was 1.9%. Dunno if these people already had some connection to the area/institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, that totally sucks.

I actually bought the MSAR to avoid applying to places that don't really accept out of state students, but tell me how I missed this one. Well, I guess their "out of state" acceptance rate must be good (see below). Its just the "out of region" stat that is is so low. MSAR doesn't really report an OOR stat.

I got my rejection letter in October. I have done a few years of genetics research and thought I had a real shot, since they are a huge research school. Friggin A. I still think their website is highly misleading, if the OOR acceptance rate really is 1.9%. They should put that in BOLD. Argh. Sorry, I got kind of worked up about this one.

from their website:

"Do you send the supplemental application automatically to every applicant?"

Unlike many medical schools, the UWSOM does not send out supplemental applications automatically. The admissions committee will screen applications to determine if a secondary application will be received. WWAMI [Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho] residents above a certain cutoff point are sent supplemental applications, but applicants from outside the WWAMI region are pre-screened to determine whether or not they will receive a supplemental application.

"If I am an out of state applicant, what can I do to be competitive?"

Apart from applicants having the academic qualifications, successful applicants from outside the WWAMI region either come from a disadvantaged background or have demonstrated a strong commitment and service to the underserved population.

People outside of Washington but within the WWAMI region are considered in-state applicants, so the 1.9% OOS acceptance rate applies only to people outside of the entire region. The student body is 89% in state (i.e. in-WWAMI), so that means that 11% come from elsewhere. A 1.9% acceptance rate seems awfully low, but it's only because so many people apply for those positions. I don't believe that U Washington is any tougher than UCSF, U Wisconsin-Madison or UNC-Chapel Hill for OOS applicants, which are also 90% or better in state. The one thing that I don't know is how the MSTP folks figure into the statistics. There is no state preference for MSTP students, so if they are counted in OOS numbers, then that leaves very little room for MD OOS applicants.

They accept OOS but you need to demonstrate a strong commitment to underserved populations, just look at the ECs of the above mentioned applicant.

They accept OOS but you need to demonstrate a strong commitment to underserved populations, just look at the ECs of the above mentioned applicant.

Aaah, but they're also a URM. I'm guessing that was more pressing.

Who knows...I know plenty of URMs that got rejected pre-secondary.

Humble: I'm sure that URM status was very significant. UWSOM is concerned about its unspectacular numbers in the diversity column, and being a state school for five states with a hell of a lot more cream than coffee in the cup makes it tough to recruit any flavah without going OOS. I, for one, applaud them on their efforts, though I am a blanche-white in-stater who is desperately waiting/hoping to be accepted. (I guess I'm actually a blanc-white in-stater, since I am a man rather than a woman.)

Humble: I'm sure that URM status was very significant. UWSOM is concerned about its unspectacular numbers in the diversity column, and being a state school for five states with a hell of a lot more cream than coffee in the cup makes it tough to recruit any flavah without going OOS. I, for one, applaud them in their efforts, though I am a blanche-white in-stater who is desperately waiting/hoping to be accepted. (I guess I'm actually a blanc-white in-stater, since I am a man rather than a woman.)

Hilarious...good coffee reference.

Humble: I'm sure that URM status was very significant. UWSOM is concerned about its unspectacular numbers in the diversity column, and being a state school for five states with a hell of a lot more cream than coffee in the cup makes it tough to recruit any flavah without going OOS. I, for one, applaud them in their efforts, though I am a blanche-white in-stater who is desperately waiting/hoping to be accepted. (I guess I'm actually a blanc-white in-stater, since I am a man rather than a woman.)

Blanche was my favorite Golden Girl.

Blanche was funny. Last name, Devereaux, true?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an undergrad at UW, and at one of the pre-med seminars/meetings, our pre-med advisors pretty much told us to not bother wasting the money applying to UW if you are not a resident of one of the WWAMI states. *shrugs* That is not to say that some people do not get in OOR, but your chances are much slimmer even compared to other public medical schools. Heck, I'm an undergrad there, but opted out b/c of my cali residency.

I remember when I used to watch Golden Girls with my grandmother . . .

Hey humble, I got bad news for you: Not everyone is going to be a successful pre-med. You might wanna check out this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=350153

I'm just kidding though, the truth is that I got mine thin envelope mid october and I called them a couple of times and they told me it'd gone to the multicultural affairs office and I guess I kinda do come from a disadvantaged background (non-URM though) and wanna help out the diadvantaged population( talked about it in my application). But I guess I just wasn't good enough. God, they're even worse than the Cali and Texas schools :mad:

"If I am an out of state applicant, what can I do to be competitive?"

Apart from applicants having the academic qualifications, successful applicants from outside the WWAMI region either come from a disadvantaged background or have demonstrated a strong commitment and service to the underserved population.
If you can read between the lines, you know what they're saying there.

I can't say I blame them. They want to be a pure regional school, but if they only considered applications from within the WWAMI region, their student body likely wouldn't have even half of the 9.0% URM makeup it currently has.

Hey humble, I got bad news for you: Not everyone is going to be a successful pre-med. You might wanna check out this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=350153

I'm just kidding though, the truth is that I got mine thin envelope mid october and I called them a couple of times and they told me it'd gone to the multicultural affairs office and I guess I kinda do come from a disadvantaged background (non-URM though) and wanna help out the diadvantaged population( talked about it in my application). But I guess I just wasn't good enough. God, they're even worse than the Cali and Texas schools :mad:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :mad:
Seriously, I guess people are looking for a whipping boy or something. Oh well, I'll oblige (my name is Humble, after all).

Yeah, I talked about commitments to the underserved too (and have a history of working with them as well). Oh well. But yes, I do think that if you talk of WWAMI as a "state" then UW probably has the worst "in-state" rate of any state or school.

Humble-

That's not the only reason. Many a survey and many an epidemiological study has shown that URM patients are much more comfortable and feel better served/understood by URM doctors, and thus they are more likely to see such a doctor rather than shying away from the whole medical institution and its perceived hostility (which at times, I think, is more than just perceived). Furthermore, understanding and sensitivity to the particular problems and cultural assumptions of URM patients can be nourished in non-URM doctors by URM colleagues. Lastly, affirmative action in any arena is meant to increase the amount of opportunity for URMs to lift themselves out of disadvantaged situations and their consequences so as to avoid perpetuating these disadvantages generation after generation. It's good for the URMs themselves, obviously, but since they are also a part of the larger society and their problems become problems for the larger society, it is also good for non-URMs. At least I think so.

Also, I repeat, non-WWAMI students make up 11% of the UWSOM population, the same as U Wisconsin-Madison and UNC-Chapel Hill, while only 5% of the UCSF population is OOS. I have been kicked to the curb by UCSF and UW-Madison, so I know how you feel.

and once again I click on a thread expecting to see wisconsin...

edit: but anyway, an off topic question, since I dont want to start a whole thread on it.. what are the residency requirements for the WWAMI states. Is it hardcore strict like NC, or easy like OH? Just a curiosity thing given my current location... doesnt really affect me otherwise.

Maestro-

I don't understand your question about residency requirements in the WWAMI states. UWSOM serves all five states and there are no other medical schools in them. If you are a resident in any of those states, you are considered a resident for the purposes of admissions and tuition. Non-Washingtonian WWAMI applicants are interviewed at specific times and towards the end of the interview season, but UWSOM leaves so many decisions until the end of the season that this does not result in a disadvantage in the normal way that late interviews can. A certain number of positions at UW are reserved for non-Washingtonian WWAMI students, but sometimes they get more than that number if the applicant pool is unusually strong in those states and/or weak in Washington. Does that respond to your question, or am I talking about something different?

aka, if one permanantly moved to the state... for example, just doing that isn't good enough for some states as you have to be there for a period of time to qualify for residency... others such as ohio will basically give you residency for a simple change of address. (more or less).

yeah, I didnt word the above very well. my family has a fantasy moving out west and a parent just got offered a job in MT. it doesn't affect me as I didnt apply anywhere west of the Mississppi, but just curious.

I believe that you merely have to live in Washington for one year to be considered a resident, though it doesn't count if you live here as a student. The other states probably have their own criteria for deciding whether you are a state resident for the purpose of their undergraduate institutions, and I don't know if admissions to UWSOM as a WWAMI resident would follow each state's rules for establishing in-state status or if the rules of Washington would be applied since the school is in Washington. I just don't know. I don't think that it is especially difficult to prove that you have become a resident in Washington if you choose to do so. I have heard of other states that ask for documentation of employment history, a drivers license, doctor visits, etc., but I have heard (only anecdotally) that establishing a mailing address here and filing your tax return here (or simply nowhere else if you don't work) will suffice. Obviously you should research that.

If you can read between the lines, you know what they're saying there.

I can't say I blame them. They want to be a pure regional school, but if they only considered applications from within the WWAMI region, their student body likely wouldn't have even half of the 9.0% URM makeup it currently has.

Yeah yeah yeah, i get it now. I just wish they were as kind as Stanford and said something along the lines of "Applicants with MCAT scores less than the national median need not apply." or something to that effect. Saw that in the MASR and it made me laugh. Can't beat honesty.

Also, I repeat, non-WWAMI students make up 11% of the UWSOM population, the same as U Wisconsin-Madison and UNC-Chapel Hill, while only 5% of the UCSF population is OOS. I have been kicked to the curb by UCSF and UW-Madison, so I know how you feel.

Actually, last year it was 18% OOS for UCSF. This year they are aiming for 20%. At least according to associate dean at my interview last week. That extra 2% better have me included in it!

Karakiz79:

Egads. If your information is correct--which means that US News has it wrong, or that I misunderstood their statistics--then I am uber chagrined at having been so summarily dismissed by UCSF. Lastima. They were one of my top choices.

Karakiz79:

Egads. If your information is correct--which means that US News has it wrong, or that I misunderstood their statistics--then I am uber chagrined at having been so summarily dismissed by UCSF. Lastima. They were one of my top choices.

Apparently, Hopkins owns 51% of US News and World Report? - so I guess they can print whatever numbers they want! Or the UCSF dean is a liar.. :D No for real, I was shocked too. More shocked that I got an interview to be honest.

[prostrates] I'm not worthy...

If your information is correct--which means that US News has it wrong, or that I misunderstood their statistics--then I am uber chagrined at having been so summarily dismissed by UCSF. Lastima. They were one of my top choices.
According to US News, UCSF accepted 60 OOSers (27 of whom enrolled) vs. accepted 188 in-staters (114 of whom enrolled). So 18% sounds about right.

Hmmm. The statistic I remember (from the 2005 edition of the US News book) was total number of OOS vs. IS students matriculated (95%:5%). Could it be that they have changed their desired OOS:IS ratio recently and that the earlier classes are still overwhelmingly in state? Or perhaps they accept a lot more OOS students than IS students who ultimately don't matriculate. Or could it be that the numbers you are citing include MSTP students while the numbers that I have read do not? (I don't know whether that would make a difference, however.) I'm probably just mistaken, but I so want to think that I didn't get in because of my drivers license rather than my crappy interviewing skills.

I was just wanting to revive the question about if any Out of State (OOS) applicants have been accepted to the UWSOM or at least put on the waitlist (competative list). I am an OOS state applicant that interviewed in February for a MD position (not MD/PhD) and was put on the competative list. I still haven't heard anything though. Just wondering how many people are in the same situation.

I was just wanting to revive the question about if any Out of State (OOS) applicants have been accepted to the UWSOM or at least put on the waitlist (competative list). I am an OOS state applicant that interviewed in February for a MD position (not MD/PhD) and was put on the competative list. I still haven't heard anything though. Just wondering how many people are in the same situation.

I'm an OOS applicant, interviewed early jan for MD (01/08/07) and was accpeted last week. So don't listen to all the stories about OOS not being possible. My stats are not even that amazing. I did send an intent letter, so maybe that helped.

you are fully aware that you would not go to UW if they accepted you. So why get so worked up? I am pretty sure that you will go to Wash U, unless Penn accepts you. So why expend the energy on UW when it never would be a real option for you. You turned down an interview at OHSU, a fine school in the Northwest where you probably would have been admitted. Getting admitted to UW just would have been another notch on your gun but really would have meant nothing in your life because you would not have gone there. Be honest with yourself and focus on what is important and get on with your life.

When I was completeting my secondary application I think I remember reading that OOS applicants would not be entered into the lottery to spend the first year in Pullman, WA and that they would spend their whole time in Seattle. Is this true? Does anyone know if OOS people will be entered into the lottery like any other WA student?

When I was completeting my secondary application I think I remember reading that OOS applicants would not be entered into the lottery to spend the first year in Pullman, WA and that they would spend their whole time in Seattle. Is this true? Does anyone know if OOS people will be entered into the lottery like any other WA student?

they are not in the lottery, they stay in Seattle.

... and a strong committment to not being a douchebag.