Has anyone payed their deposit to AZPOD that is not planning on attending?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HappyPOD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am on the wait list for AZPOD and I really, really, really want to go there. I was told by admissions that every year people that have paid the deposit do not show up for what ever reason. If you are going to attend another program or school will you let AZPOD know so a spot will open and I can go there???? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck on getting a spot, but when people put down their seat deposit, they're usually fairly serious. If you have other acceptances you would be willing to attend, you might want to get going on those soon to avoid them filling up also. If you try waiting until the first week of classes for people to "not show up," you are likely setting yourself up to be out of school in 07-08's academic year.

If you can't sneak in for the 'Zona 2011 pod class and are against attending other pod schools you've been accepted to, you could apply earlier in next year's cycle for the best shot at AZ. If they have SMP or post-bacc programs there at Midwestern, doing one of those in 07-08 might also help your chances of gaining admission to AZPod for next fall as well as furthering your performance level in what is said to be a demanding DPM program with a high attrition rate?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=350599

Thanks for your response and input Feli:)
I understand that it is a big commitment to pay a non refundable $750 to hold a spot in a class but circumstances change or people get into a MD, DO or DDS program and dont notifying the school that they are not coming. I just thought I would give a little plea to anyone in that situation because I absolutely loved Midwestern. I already have a backup school(which I am equally impressed with... I just dont like the location) and I had no intention of waiting until school started to figure out what I was doing.
I asked a lot of questions about the attrition rate at my Midwestern interview, because after reading the posts on SDN you would think Midwestern sets the students up to fail. They have actually only lost a couple students completely(for various reasons), the others were sent to the 5 year plan and are still happily attending Midwestern. If you look at some of the other schools, they have the same system of sending students to the 5 year plan when they fail a class. AZPOD are really working on it and have a great system set up to prevent students from failing classes. I guess you cant always believe everything you read on SDN.:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you. Some people may have wanted to secure a good pod school, but a few of them may get into MD/DO programs here in May and June as waitlists begin to move. A couple seats at Midwestern pod may open, or they may not.

I was just cautioning you that your #2 choice pod school may not be all too far off from their capacity (and may even still be interviewing and taking deposits since they haven't heard back from acceptees like you), so that's something to be aware of also.

... you would think Midwestern sets the students up to fail. They have actually only lost a couple students completely(for various reasons), the others were sent to the 5 year plan and are still happily attending ...
^I might be in the minority, but I don't think that's a good way to think. This will seem highly pessimistic, but it's important for pre-pods to think about these things and be a bit scared into studying very hard once they begin these challenging programs.

The 5 year track may be the best situation for some students who encounter life's curveballs (pregnancy, serious illness, etc), but as a general rule, students "sent" to the extended program have failed one or more classes and really need to pick up their study habits/ class attendance/ etc. I can't speak for every school's program, but I'd estimate that less than half of students "sent" to the 5yr track will graduate. Sure, many students who go to 5 year track still graduate, but being involuntarily switched over is not typically a good prognostic indicator. With the 5 year plan usually comes strict GPA requirements, loss of the safety net, and a slight disconnection from fellow students.

You also want to be cautious of extended pod programs from the standpoint of residency committee views. Those students have to be ready to explain at the interview why it took them 5 or more years to complete a program which many other graduates complete in 4 years. Be ready to have stellar clinical skills and answer that question to their satisfaction if you want a competitive residency program.

Most of all, from a purely financial standpoint, would you rather be spend an extra year in school and pay another $35k in tuition and housing, or would you rather have an extra year in practice?

I am on the wait list for AZPOD and I really, really, really want to go there. I was told by admissions that every year people that have paid the deposit do not show up for what ever reason. If you are going to attend another program or school will you let AZPOD know so a spot will open and I can go there???? ;)

Sorry, can't help you. I will be at AZPOD. Good luck.
Out of curiosity, did they tell you that you were #1 on the waitlist? Just curious how you know YOU will get the first open spot.

The 5 year track may be the best situation for some students who encounter life's curveballs (pregnancy, serious illness, etc), but as a general rule, students "sent" to the extended program have failed one or more classes and really need to pick up their study habits/ class attendance/ etc. I can't speak for every school's program, but I'd estimate that less than half of students "sent" to the 5yr track will graduate. Sure, many students who go to 5 year track still graduate, but being involuntarily switched over is not typically a good prognostic indicator. With the 5 year plan usually comes strict GPA requirements, loss of the safety net, and a slight disconnection from fellow students.
Do you have stats to back up this statement, or are you just taking a wild guess? I think the rest of your post is spot on, but I think the statement I bolded could mislead some pre pods.

Attempting to say this in the least offensive manner, were you offered a deferment to the Class of 2012? If so, why not take it? If not, you might not be as high on their list as you may think. My suggestion would be to reapply next year instead of settling for a program that you do not want. Early apps generally have a major advantage.

...The 5 year track may be the best situation for some students who encounter life's curveballs (pregnancy, serious illness, etc), but as a general rule, students "sent" to the extended program have failed one or more classes and really need to pick up their study habits/ class attendance/ etc. I can't speak for every school's program, but I'd estimate that less than half of students "sent" to the 5yr track will graduate. Sure, many students who go to 5 year track still graduate, but being involuntarily switched over is not typically a good prognostic indicator. With the 5 year plan usually comes strict GPA requirements, loss of the safety net, and a slight disconnection from fellow students.

Do you have stats to back up this statement, or are you just taking a wild guess? I think the rest of your post is spot on, but I think the statement I bolded could mislead some pre pods.
No, I don't have any stats to back that statement, and that's why I prefaced it somewhat and dubbed it as an estimate. Pod schools which have been around awhile might have stats on graduation rates of students put on the 5yr plan due to academic struggles, but I don't know for sure. My statement was purely anecdotal.

Obviously AZPod has no stats because they have not graduated a class yet. Their first class will graduate in 2008, and the first students who have been sent to the 5yr track yet graduate would potentially come through in 2009. Maybe all of Midwestern's students who were "sent" to the 5yr track will graduate, and maybe none will. There is no real way for anyone to know at this point...

I certainly don't think any pod school "sets the students up to fail," but the programs will generally dismiss students or send them to the 5yr track if they do not perform adequately in terms of academics. The schools are not aiming to flunk people or make them stay in school for another year, but it's their duty to the podiatric profession to graduate competent people who demonstrate adequate knowledge (and it's also in the school's best interest to protect its board pass rates). If a student fails a couple classes, they may be dismissed. If they fail one but are performing well in most others, they may be sent to 5yr track to regroup and focus with a lighter course load. Once on 5yr track, if the student fails another class, it may be time for the dean to re-evaluate the situation once again (and that often means dismissal from what I've seen/heard). Those situations are all up to the deans, and they vary from school to school (usually detailed in the college handbooks).

Since pod school policies differ, it's hard to make general statements which are accurate, but I feel that it's important for incoming students to be aware and take proper precautions against getting themselves into those stressful situations. I think it's in most students' best interest to stay on the 4 year program for the financial and residency purposes I mentioned, but it's also just a good idea because you have a higher chance of avoiding dismissal (the "safety net" I mentioned) if you fail a class as a 4yr track student as opposed to failing one as a 5yr track student. Keep in mind that there are exceptions to every rule. There is also a notable difference between voluntarily switching to 5yr track and being "sent," so it's important not to make assumptions simply because a student is on the extended degree track. A woman may get pregnant during school and not want to stress her body with the rigors of a tough semester, so she may talk to her advisor and dean about voluntarily switching to 5yr track. She might take a lightened course load, maintain her health well, and graduate with honors. Another student may not study enough, fail a class, be placed on the 5yr track, fail another class or two, and be dismissed. You may see firsthand, or even be in, scenarios similar to these as a pod student.

Attempting to say this in the least offensive manner, where you offered a deferment to the Class of 2012? If so, why not take it? If not, you might not be as high on their list as you may think. My suggestion would be to reapply next year instead of settling for a program that you do not want. Early apps generally have a major advantage.

Where - asks a location or tells a location

were - a form of to be, plural, a helping verb

i really cant offer any Valuable information to happy pod about a seat opening, but I would like to support your choice of midwestern. Oddly enough I actually agree with dr feelgood, if you don’t make it this year, you may want to wait. Though waiting a whole year would suck.

The only way I can see solving your problem is if one of the current azpod students mysteriously disappeared. (wink wink):smuggrin:
:laugh: just say the word and ill take out cheetos! :laugh:

The only way I can see solving your problem is if one of the current azpod students mysteriously disappeared. (wink wink):smuggrin:

Hey thanks man...would you take out cheetos:laugh: that would really mean a lot to me:laugh:
This thread was not to start a war about attrition rates, ect. I have a great backup plan and I know I will be happy at the other school I chose. I just thought that out of all the schools I had interviews at, Midwestern was by far the best FOR ME. I also thought that my second school was the best until I saw Midwestern so I know I will be very happy there also.

As for the attrition rates...I guess everyone has their own opinion about it. It is what it is. Every school will have students that dont belong in a doctoral program and those students will weed themselves out.

Dr.Gangrene why are you asking how I know I will get the open spot...do you know someone they told the same thing to?

...As for the attrition rates...I guess everyone has their own opinion about it. It is what it is. Every school will have students that dont belong in a doctoral program and those students will weed themselves out...
Very well said.^

That is the correct way to think. In the end, the only person whose academic performance you can really control is your own. A pod school may have half of the matriculants in one incoming class fail to graduate, but, the next year, almost all of the incoming students might do well and graduate. The bottom line is just student talent. I don't think pod schools should be judged by their attrition rate. It might be something to consider as an applicant, but attrition rates vary greatly from year to year at every pod school. If you have the talent and work hard, you'll have no problems. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i really cant offer any Valuable information to happy pod about a seat opening, but I would like to support your choice of midwestern. Oddly enough I actually agree with dr feelgood, if you don’t make it this year, you may want to wait. Though waiting a whole year would suck.

You mess w/ Chettos, you mess w/ me! We are like the godfathers of 2011 since we were the first group accepted:laugh:

Hey thanks man...would you take out cheetos:laugh: that would really mean a lot to me:laugh:
This thread was not to start a war about attrition rates, ect. I have a great backup plan and I know I will be happy at the other school I chose. I just thought that out of all the schools I had interviews at, Midwestern was by far the best FOR ME. I also thought that my second school was the best until I saw Midwestern so I know I will be very happy there also.

As for the attrition rates...I guess everyone has their own opinion about it. It is what it is. Every school will have students that dont belong in a doctoral program and those students will weed themselves out.

Dr.Gangrene why are you asking how I know I will get the open spot...do you know someone they told the same thing to?

Now that you threatened cheetos, you might as well go to the other school. I am verbally giving you the kiss of death :laugh: (sarcasm)

Just curious how you are so sure. Did they tell you that you are #1? I know of no one on waitlist.

Now that you threatened cheetos, you might as well go to the other school. I am verbally giving you the kiss of death :laugh: (sarcasm)

Just curious how you are so sure. Did they tell you that you are #1? I know of no one on waitlist.

What, the kiss of death, dont give me your bad JUJU....I really am sorry.....
sorry Cheetos I had no idea how important you really were!!!:laugh:

Anyway, I am not so sure I will get the first spot. If you dont know anyone one on the wait list, let me introduce myself...HI im happypod, I am on Midwestern waitlist, nice to meet you...:laugh: see I really am #1 on the waitlist.
But seriously, if you want I can PM you and tell you what they told me if you really want to know.
Are you starting this fall or are you already attending Midwestern?

I think AZPOD is a mighty fine place and that it really does a great job of preparing you to have a successful podiatric practice. That said, I also believe the faculty desire to be as honest as possible but I have personally heard some of the responses they give to applicants in regards to attrition questions and I think some of the things they say are really looking on the sunny side of things.

I started last Fall with about 33 1st year newbies. At the end of the quarter, about 11 had left. I was the only one to have had a medical emergency. Most of the others just had a hard time with the stress and making the grades. I have kept in contact with at least 8 who aren't returning. One student was placed in the 5 year program. I don't think 25 - 33% attrition is great, nor can it be justified with some side-stepping comment. I think students deserve to know that every single person who came in worked hard, and still 1/3 to 1/4 couldn't make it or decided they wanted something else. I think everyone says, "If I work hard...." :)

It's not all doom and gloom, however. Many of those who are in AZPOD are at the top of the class (DPM and DO) and will have excellent practice prospects. I just wanted to chime in with a forecast of slightly fewer "sunny" days expected than has been voiced previously.:D

AZPOD Rocks

Since when was there a bounty placed on my head :laugh: Better round up my posse and bring them on the first day of class :laugh:

As for HappyPOD, goodluck on the waitlist! If you are #1, I am sure you have a possible chance of getting in given that some Pre-Pods apply to MD and DO programs as well. 30 seats is very little but it seems like they over accept by a few seats. If you don't mind me asking, whats the other school that you have already sent your deposit to? Hope all goes well besides the kiss of death! :smuggrin:

As for Kelus, you can't take out Cheetos for it is only a crunchy, cheesy snack :laugh:

halloween-cheetos.jpg

Since when was there a bounty placed on my head :laugh: Better round up my posse and bring them on the first day of class :laugh:

halloween-cheetos.jpg

OMG.....That is Hilarious!!! I have never seen a Cheetos costume. If I get into AZPOD I expect to see you wearing one...maybe for halloween? Is that a little cheese ball on top of thier heads??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I really dont want to say the other school because I know they read these threads and I dont want to get myself into trouble...just in case I dont get into Midwestern:(

That really was the doom message from AZPOD rocks. I dont understand...if you read his history of posts he is very upbeat about AZPOD in most of them. What he says in this recent post is nothing like what I was told at my interview. They pretty much accounted for all the students they had lost. I dont think they would make up stories about each specific person, because its not like they had to talk me into going there. The student ambassadors also told me that there are students who think they can mess around, skip class and not take school very serious because they are still in undergrad mode and they are the ones who dont do well. I am sorry that AZPOD rocks has changed his tune about Midwestern. I have heard nothing but good things from people I have spoken to that have attended Midwestern for other programs. These students take classes with the POD students and they all survived. :confused:

Cheetos.....Thanks for the picture this morning...it made my day. :laugh:

HappyPod,

I suggest you send a letter of intent and upgraded transcripts or activities that you have done. It shows that you have interest in the school.

well, i tried sneaking up on cheetos mission impossible style last night,(from the roof, on a cord) but his boys have him guarded twenty four seven. I think hes got to much protection for one man to take out.

not to mention if i was able to take out cheetos i would be arrested i tried with in the blink of a eye.
the cheesy fingers would be a dead give away to my crime.

but seriously, I really hope you find a way in, you seem like a really happy and cool guy.
Ill be rooting for you!

That really was the doom message from AZPOD rocks. I dont understand...if you read his history of posts he is very upbeat about AZPOD in most of them. What he says in this recent post is nothing like what I was told at my interview. They pretty much accounted for all the students they had lost. I dont think they would make up stories about each specific person, because its not like they had to talk me into going there. The student ambassadors also told me that there are students who think they can mess around, skip class and not take school very serious because they are still in undergrad mode and they are the ones who dont do well. I am sorry that AZPOD rocks has changed his tune about Midwestern. I have heard nothing but good things from people I have spoken to that have attended Midwestern for other programs. These students take classes with the POD students and they all survived. :confused:

I tried to make it clear that I still am upbeat about AZPOD, but I also want to give a realistic picture about what to expect. As far as the faculty comments go, I don't think they are purposely deceiving anyone, I just think they feel intrinsically more optimistic about the difficulty of the program (as in... they think if you work real hard, you can do it) than reality.

As far as the student comments go... well, I have yet to see anyone joke around a lot and get canned. Most people who aren't doing well, know they aren't very early in the quarter and are in a frenzied race to do well on subsequent exams. They don't have a lot of messing around time. Some make it and some don't.

There ARE individuals who mess around but these are those who don't need to study half as much as the rest of us and who are usually doing very well in their classes. The students who made these comments to you are those who are doing well (they were hand-selected to be student ambassadors) and who probably don't mess around very much, so they think that anyone who fails just didn't have their head in the game or must have had some other reason for failing.

There was a student in Fall quarter who studied no less than 80 hours every single week, attended all of his classes, met with the tutor 5 times a week and still failed out. He wasn't dumb, he just wasn't able to take the tests well and hadn't had any sciences other than those required for entrance. Another student watched about 15 hours of sports every week on the HD screen in the cafeteria and "studied" while watching, ditched a lot of class, etc. He got an A in every class. I wish I could figure out what makes one student succeed with minimal effort and another fail with maximal effort, but alas....:(

I took 3 paragraphs on that subject because I think it is an important one to know about before starting AZPOD. However, the fact that AZPOD has one facet that doesn't shine as brightly does not make it any less excellent. Every school has areas which need improvement. I don't think because I have noted one, it makes me any less of an AZPOD fan. I am a huge Suns fan (go figure) and think they are awesome but can see a thing or two that I think they ought to change (like staying seated on the bench during an altercation).:D

Good luck getting in!

By the way, GSRIMPORT convinced me to shoot some hoops with him the other night at about 3:30am. He's always playing basketball or dreaming of his future as a podiatric cop. lol j/k :laugh:

but seriously, I really hope you find a way in, you seem like a really happy and cool guy.
Ill be rooting for you!

Im actually a girl;)

Thanks for all the posts. I hope that I will see you all next year. Sorry if I made you mad AZPOD Rocks....I was just stating what I was told by the people I saw when I interviewed. I will add... they told me that they think hands down AZPOD is the hardest podiatry program in the country(no curve, competing with the DOs, etc)! So I have no doubt that people can work hard and still not make it. I am here and you are there so I am sure you have a better grip on what really is going on at Midwestern. I wish you all the best of luck!!:)
I need to go and eat some cheetos for breakfast:laugh:

Im actually a girl;)

Thanks for all the posts. I hope that I will see you all next year. Sorry if I made you mad AZPOD Rocks....I was just stating what I was told by the people I saw when I interviewed. I will add... they told me that they think hands down AZPOD is the hardest podiatry program in the country(no curve, competing with the DOs, etc)! So I have no doubt that people can work hard and still not make it. I am here and you are there so I am sure you have a better grip on what really is going on at Midwestern. I wish you all the best of luck!!:)
I need to go and eat some cheetos for breakfast:laugh:

It seems that all the schools boast about not having a curve as if every other school curves. If most of the schools do not curve why does everyone brag about their school like it is the only one without a curve.

For the record NYCPM does not curve.

I have heard that DMU does not curve.

Now we know that AZPOD does not curve.

I'd like to hear about Barry, Scholl, Temple, Ohio and Cali?

Being able to argue unfair questions and having a few points returned is not a curve. Nor is throwing out questions that show por performance based on an analysis.

It seems that all the schools boast about not having a curve as if every other school curves. If most of the schools do not curve why does everyone brag about their school like it is the only one without a curve.

For the record NYCPM does not curve.

I have heard that DMU does not curve.

Now we know that AZPOD does not curve.

I'd like to hear about Barry, Scholl, Temple, Ohio and Cali?

Being able to argue unfair questions and having a few points returned is not a curve. Nor is throwing out questions that show por performance based on an analysis.

What she is referring to is that the classes taken w/ the do students is not curved seperatly for pod. So, you are all graded the same regardless of program (do vs. dpm). I don't know whether there is no curve at all, but I think this is what she is referring to.

What she is referring to is that the classes taken w/ the do students is not curved seperatly for pod. So, you are all graded the same regardless of program (do vs. dpm). I don't know whether there is no curve at all, but I think this is what she is referring to.

Exactly! I was told no curve at all. If the entire class receives a 70% or below... the 70% is a 70% and is not curved to 100%. I am not aware of what other schools have as a policy. Some of the profs from AZPOD came from other podiatry schools and I am asuming they would know what the other schools grading policies and exams, etc were like...thats why they stated AZPOD was the hardest school in the country.
I was not stating this to brag about how fabulous AZPOD is....
RELAX krabmas...its not that big of a deal. If you want to say your school is the hardest we will let you.:)

Exactly! I was told no curve at all. If the entire class receives a 70% or below... the 70% is a 70% and is not curved to 100%. I am not aware of what other schools have as a policy. Some of the profs from AZPOD came from other podiatry schools and I am asuming they would know what the other schools grading policies and exams, etc were like...thats why they stated AZPOD was the hardest school in the country.
RELAX krabmas...its not that big of a deal. If you want to say your school is the hardest we will let you.:)

I would never say that my school was the hardest. That would be a flat out lie and I do not lie about my school.:cool:

I did not mean to come off as harsh in my last post. It just seems that all the schools brag about being the only school without a curve. How can every school be the only one?

Just like NYCPM tells students they are the only school with a clinic. All the schools have a clinic, some closer than others.

Sorry if I made you mad AZPOD Rocks....I was just stating what I was told by the people I saw when I interviewed.

I am ALWAYS mad, just not in angry sense...:D :eek: :scared: :mad: :p :oops: :smuggrin:

What other schools did you get accepted to? If they are decent schools, I don't see why you would want to wait another year just to go to AZPOD. In reality there other Podiatry schools that will work you hard, and allow you the chance to become the best Podiatrist.

wow, happypod, your a chica, im sorry. Sadly this is the second time i have made the mistake of assuming every one i talk to online is male. :scared: i should have known with the happy pods picture :)

as for azpods information about the high attrition rate, Am i the only future midwestern students that was freaked out by this? TWO THIRDS WILL FAIL! I mean, im all for getting the best education but---going to a place were the majority fail??? Barry is looking better all the time ;)
it kind of weirds me out.. any one else feel this way>?

wow, happypod, your a chica, im sorry. Sadly this is the second time i have made the mistake of assuming every one i talk to online is male. :scared: i should have known with the happy pods picture :)

as for azpods information about the high attrition rate, Am i the only future midwestern students that was freaked out by this? TWO THIRDS WILL FAIL! I mean, im all for getting the best education but---going to a place were the majority fail??? Barry is looking better all the time ;)

Two-thirds won't fail AZPod. Most will end up passing. There are a number of reasons why students did not continue with the program.

I think the program here is very challenging but I don't know about other schools. You will learn a lot though in a short amount of time.

As for the curve issue, the DPM and DO program at midwestern is not curved.
The class average consist of students in both programs and they do not differentiate. As for the 70% issue, you need to get a 70% to pass. They try to make the class average 85% ( students should get 85% right) but for example, if the average is 80% on the test, they will not add any points to make the average higher. They only add points if they wrote a bad question or if a question is thrown out. In addition, students never ask what is the DO average and what is the DPM average since they are pretty similar.

If you reread my post, I said 11 HAD left the program not that we had 11 left... I believe there were 22-24 students left.

I agree with gsrimport's observations.

AZPOD Rocks

sorry, the two thirds was a estimation of the number that would be left at the end of the program. (a bad dramatic one ;) )thanks for the clairification on how people leave the program.
even so, i still feel a bit disturbed at the idea of a third (estimation) enrolling and not being able to finish (personal or other) i know midwestern is not alone in this high attrition rate, nor am i claiming they are doing somthing wrong in their teaching, i really have no idea in this area.
i just tend to attribute a low attrition rate as a good thing for the students.

i found somthing similar to this in my chemistry program. Many spoke of high attrition rate as if its a good thing. What they dont see is the great students that fall through the cracks of their difficult program. As a tutor i get to work with these students an appreciate the work they do. i also got to study along side the ones who had made it. Most of the students who did not make it were just as hard working as the ones that did. its just, for one reason or another, (work, bad previous edu, other) they were not able to immidiatly preform at the level expected and they left.
as a freshman i was told, and believed saldy, that the rigors of the program kept bad students out. what i found was a lack of support system and saftey net lost alot of good students.

so, from my persepctive, when i hear about a high attrition rate it worries me.
but im sure midwestern is great, perhaps im just overly cautious. im sure those who made it through have a positive outlook on this situation, i would love to hear the side of some one who was not able to finish.

sorry, the two thirds was a estimation of the number that would be left at the end of the program. (a bad dramatic one ;) )thanks for the clairification on how people leave the program.
even so, i still feel a bit disturbed at the idea of a third (estimation) enrolling and not being able to finish (personal or other) i know midwestern is not alone in this high attrition rate, nor am i claiming they are doing somthing wrong in their teaching, i really have no idea in this area.
i just tend to attribute a low attrition rate as a good thing for the students.

i found somthing similar to this in my chemistry program. Many spoke of high attrition rate as if its a good thing. What they dont see is the great students that fall through the cracks of their difficult program. As a tutor i get to work with these students an appreciate the work they do. i also got to study along side the ones who had made it. Most of the students who did not make it were just as hard working as the ones that did. its just, for one reason or another, (work, bad previous edu, other) they were not able to immidiatly preform at the level expected and they left.
as a freshman i was told, and believed saldy, that the rigors of the program kept bad students out. what i found was a lack of support system and saftey net lost alot of good students.

so, from my persepctive, when i hear about a high attrition rate it worries me.
but im sure midwestern is great, perhaps im just overly cautious. im sure those who made it through have a positive outlook on this situation, i would love to hear the side of some one who was not able to finish.

Well, I was granted medical leave and have guaranteed admissions for the Fall. I don't wish to dissuade anyone from attending AZPOD but over half of the people I hang out with (both DPM and DO students) are like, "Are you serious??!!! If I were in your boat, I would choose a different, easier school." Now, Midwestern is hard... but I think most students at most schools think their school is hard. I don't know how much "easier" another school would be. I'm still up in the air about the Fall. The decision will be made within the next few weeks but I am finding it a difficult decision because of the rigor of the program... both positively and negatively.

The rigor leads to an excellent reputation, potentially better residencies, and perhaps better knowledge to impress with during clinical rotations. However, the rigor also manifests itself as stress in family life, personal life, and the desire to be doing something else. So... I don't know.

As to your other question about why so many fail out. I know AZPOD faculty have been trying to look for correlations of success among those who are doing well in the program (i.e. did they take biochem. before coming? Did they do better on the MCAT, etc.). I don't know why. But I will say that I LOVE the podiatry coursework. Everyone else seems to, as well. No one failed out due to the podiatry coursework, only the basic science stuff. The faculty failure, if there is one, is NOT due to AZPOD faculty but due to basic science faculty (common to many programs at Midwestern). They are just as good as anywhere else but they are recognized at making it about as grueling as possible.

The good part: Ask anyone! They'll tell you MWU graduates are the creme.

AZPOD Rocks

thanks azpod for the very honest reply. i think you sumed up well whats may be going on.

From what I observed the people who left most should not have been in the program in the first place, and while the attrition rates are high in the first year I think it will likely be lower in the following years. I heard at some of the other schools they push you through the program and then when boards come around some really struggle, so I hope that won't be the case at Midwestern. At least the people who left didn't spend 2 years in the program. I could probably give you good reasons for everyone leaving AZPOD and I think only 4-5 were adademical. I would say that if you are an A, B student in college with a good science load, have some critical thinking skills, and have a good amount of time to dedicate to school you should not have much trouble, but slightly stressed at times.

From what I observed the people who left most should not have been in the program in the first place, and while the attrition rates are high in the first year I think it will likely be lower in the following years. I heard at some of the other schools they push you through the program and then when boards come around some really struggle, so I hope that won't be the case at Midwestern. At least the people who left didn't spend 2 years in the program. I could probably give you good reasons for everyone leaving AZPOD and I think only 4-5 were adademical. I would say that if you are an A, B student in college with a good science load, have some critical thinking skills, and have a good amount of time to dedicate to school you should not have much trouble, but slightly stressed at times.

Of those who left, I agree that there were several who probably should not have been in the program in the first place. However, there were at least 4 who I can think of who worked very hard, were decent students, and still didn't make it (academically or otherwise).

I think your other statement is pretty accurate... I don't know of any A/B students who had heavy science loads in undergrad, have good critical thinking skills, and a good amount of time for studying who haven't made it. I think most people are more than "slightly" stressed at times. :D

Any plans this summer during the few weeks off, my big friend?

AZPOD Rocks

There are always exceptions....not many plans taking a trip with the g/f and hopefully watching a day of Dr. Barrett's surgeries, followed with some time poolside.....Oh and another note, we did have a student this year who was called a few days before orientation and took the slot, so I think in all likelihood there will be a slot (if you are high enough on the list), whether you're already locked in at the other school will be up to you.

Chettos, were you been? Good to see you back. As you can see, I have your back:laugh:

Due to recent series of threats, I had to disappear and was under a witness protection program hence why I've been MIA :laugh: But glad to know that you have my back. Just been really busy with my senior design project and other stuff but just 2 more weeks of undergrad and it'll all be over. :D How have things been on your end? Graduated already right? Congrats!

Due to recent series of threats, I had to disappear and was under a witness protection program hence why I've been MIA :laugh: But glad to know that you have my back. Just been really busy with my senior design project and other stuff but just 2 more weeks of undergrad and it'll all be over. :D How have things been on your end? Graduated already right? Congrats!

Oh yes, I am all done. All is well. Enjoying some time w/ the new baby and my wife and son; the quiet before the storm :laugh:

Good luck on these last few weeks. See you in hell! (At least that is what the temperature will be when we get there). :laugh:

I received a call from Midwestern while house hunting in a another city for my other school!!! I am so excited to be joining you all this fall. :)
I just got back from Arizona last week...it is so HOT there right now. My boyfriend bought a house in Peoria that I will be living in and I guess I plan on moving down around August first. When are the rest of you moving and where will you all be living?

I received a call from Midwestern while house hunting in a another city for my other school!!! I am so excited to be joining you all this fall. :)
I just got back from Arizona last week...it is so HOT there right now. My boyfriend bought a house in Peoria that I will be living in and I guess I plan on moving down around August first. When are the rest of you moving and where will you all be living?

Congrats HappyPOD!!! Happy to see that your wish came true!!. Guess I have to go look for a cheetos costume now :laugh: I'm planning to move down mid August, found an apartment near the Arrowhead Mall. Going to be a fun 12 hr drive from Sacramento thru the desert. Hope to see you at orientation!

Congrats!!
I am moving first weekend in August. I will be living in Avondale, southwest of phoenix. I am about 20 miles from the school, but right off of the 101 loop, so I think I will be ok.

We are going to try and organize a bbq the weekend before school; hope you will come!

Congrats HappyPOD!!! Happy to see that your wish came true!!. Guess I have to go look for a cheetos costume now :laugh: I'm planning to move down mid August, found an apartment near the Arrowhead Mall. Going to be a fun 12 hr drive from Sacramento thru the desert. Hope to see you at orientation!

Good luck. Are you going down the coast and cutting over, or is there a "better route".

I am looking at about the same drive; it would only be about 10 hours, but w/ a big moving truck, I am thinking more like 12.

Can't wait to start!!!

Cheetos, if you want to come hang out, pm me and I will give you my cell #. I have a community pool at the house I am renting. :D

DMU is not curved and we are scored against the DO's just for everyone's information.

Good luck. Are you going down the coast and cutting over, or is there a "better route".

I am looking at about the same drive; it would only be about 10 hours, but w/ a big moving truck, I am thinking more like 12.

Can't wait to start!!!

Cheetos, if you want to come hang out, pm me and I will give you my cell #. I have a community pool at the house I am renting. :D

According to googlemap, driving down the central valley towards LA and then cutting over is the fastest route. Was hoping to stop in Vegas but that'd be an extra 2+ hrs on the road delay plus don't know how much fun that'd be riding in a U-haul. So looks like thats out of the picture now. :laugh: Goodluck with your move unless you've already moved down there.

what is another 2hrs? i am adding 1500 miles to my move southwest! i am getting very excited to put faces to profile names. 21days!

happy pod... i will also be living in peoria (off 67th)!

what is another 2hrs? i am adding 1500 miles to my move southwest! i am getting very excited to put faces to profile names. 21days!

happy pod... i will also be living in peoria (off 67th)!

Whoa thats a looongg drive, I'll stop complaining now :D When are you planning to head down?

Whoa thats a looongg drive, I'll stop complaining now :D When are you planning to head down?
we are leaving aug 11th on the early am. will be rolling into phoenix the 19th. getting ready to get started.