Has anyone picked an out of state school even though they were accepted in state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmcunnin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious if anyone has been accepted to their in state school, but opted to go out of state instead. No particular reason for wanting to know..just curious if maybe someone decided they wanted to live in another state and experience something new

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Personal reasons made me pick a state school not in my own state. Tuition actually works out about the same in my case, so I'm really just paying more for moving and slightly higher living expenses.

its actually much cheaper (like im talking 50K) to go to another state school out of state for me than to stay at my state school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow didn't realize the difference could be that much cheaper for an out of state school haha. Yeah I was just curious if anyone did it for personal reasons like just wanting to get out there and possibly live in another state. If it was more expensive, would you guys still consider going out of state?

I did for personal reasons. Plus, it was only a $40k difference when you factored in a scholarship the OOS school gave me, so it didn't really matter much.

I did for personal reasons. Plus, it was only a $40k difference when you factored in a scholarship the OOS school gave me, so it didn't really matter much.

Pittsburgh is actually one of the schools I am considering! Congrats on your acceptance.

I liked the out of state school better then my instate schools.

Thanks! I'd definitely head to Pitt if I were you ;)

Haha I should've clarified..I meant I'm considering applying to it lol. But yeah I've heard great things about Pittsburgh. I just don't know if it would be worth the extra cost if I got accepted in state. It would be a huge difference.

Haha I should've clarified..I meant I'm considering applying to it lol. But yeah I've heard great things about Pittsburgh. I just don't know if it would be worth the extra cost if I got accepted in state. It would be a huge difference.

Well something to keep in mind is that Pitt allocates $4,500 a year for insurance, however 1) most single person insurance plans don't cost that much and 2) if you stay on your parents insurance you don't have to buy a new plan so if that's the case you can just subtract $18k from their estimated price right off the bat.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a Kansas resident and we don't have a dental school but the school in KC, Missouri offers us a partial in state tuition. I choose to go to an OOS school instead of UMKC. We don't know if we're awarded any scholarships until this summer but I'm not counting on getting one. I won't go into depth but I essentially made a pros/cons list and I felt like my pros outweighed the price as far as happiness and clinical experience at Creighton. Hopefully I'll feel the same way 10 years after I graduate, haha!

I would say 40k is a big difference especially with interest at a rate of 7% over 20 years. If the school is worth the extra cost, then I could understand paying that much extra. However, its not really the same cost at all as it would have been with 40 k less..

I would say 40k is a big difference especially with interest at a rate of 7% over 20 years. If the school is worth the extra cost, then I could understand paying that much extra. However, its not really the same cost at all as it would have been with 40 k less..

I meant that the school had the things I needed, and in satisfying those criteria I could easily justify the increased price tag.

Reactions: 1 user