Quantcast

Has Anyone Received an Interview to UCSF or UCSD??

USF TCOP - Virtual Information Sessions
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Minghoo

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody. Just curious to see if anyone got interview invitations yet. I'm just getting anxious because supposedly we are suppose to get something back this coming week.

pharmer_tami

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Minghoo said:
Hi everybody. Just curious to see if anyone got interview invitations yet. I'm just getting anxious because supposedly we are suppose to get something back this coming week.

I got a UCSD invite a few days ago and I got a UCSF interview on Xmas eve. I live in San Diego so I probably got the UCSD invite a little earlier than people further away from UCSD. I'm sure they're still being mailed since I just got them very recently, so don't worry and good luck!

Minghoo

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
pharmer_tami said:
I got a UCSD invite a few days ago and I got a UCSF interview on Xmas eve. I live in San Diego so I probably got the UCSD invite a little earlier than people further away from UCSD. I'm sure they're still being mailed since I just got them very recently, so don't worry and good luck!

Congrats! That sucks ass for me cuz I live in SF and i still haven't received anything from either schools. I don't know maybe i'm just being over confident since I got interviews to UOP and USC...uh so frustrating....

faradayampere

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in Berkeley, and received invite from UCSD a few days ago, but haven't got my UCSF yet. According to the website, UCSF mails out invites from mid-December to early January. So, we still have time.

For UCSD, I emailed them a while ago, and the staff told me that they mailed all invites or letter of regretion to all applicants on the third week of December, so you'll receive them soon.

G'luck

crest29

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tami!
congrats on all those interviews! I got an interview letter from ucsf on xmas eve as well.--when's your date? mines on february 11th. I haven't heard from ucsd yet.. my guess is my gpa was a bit on the low side. but i haven't checked my san diego mail yet, hopefully it is in there! Praying !.. keep patient ming, i'm sure itwill come!

tomrocks

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got my invite for ucsf a little over a week ago. i live in sf so it came the day after they sent it out. my interview is at the end of january so i think theyre interviewing locals first. be patient and good luck!

tom

Oneday_9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
tomrocks said:
i got my invite for ucsf a little over a week ago. i live in sf so it came the day after they sent it out. my interview is at the end of january so i think theyre interviewing locals first. be patient and good luck!

tom

In addition, as my experience went last year, UCSD and UCSF interviewed out of state individuals last. So those you meet at UCSD interviews may be at UCSF interviews! One of my fellow students and I met there.

Good Luck, I am sure this is the week...

:)

faradayampere

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
oh i'm so afraid .... it seems that ppl received UCSF invites already, and Berkeley is right next to SF .... I'm wondering why the mail come so late??? Maybe tomorrow =)

endlesslove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
faradayampere said:
oh i'm so afraid .... it seems that ppl received UCSF invites already, and Berkeley is right next to SF .... I'm wondering why the mail come so late??? Maybe tomorrow =)

Hey there, I think they do them in the order they received the apps (and this certainly does not reflect how strong or weak of an applicant you are or affect the final admissions decision on you) as opposed to geography. I used my Berkeley mailing address and got both SD and SF on Thursday and my pharmacist priority-mailed them to me Friday...so I hope it's not lost in the mail and will arrive Mon or Tues and I hope they will be good letters! Stay strong and patient! Happy holidays! ;)

DrugDealer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I also received my UCSF invite on Christmas Eve.

Minghoo

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
DrugDealer said:
I also received my UCSF invite on Christmas Eve.

Wow! Congrats to all those who got interviews! I guess I'm just more anxious and nervous than ever. I live like 5 minutes from UCSF and work there. I just wish I can down to the admissions office at work and ask for my letter. Well I just hope that they are mailing out the letters based on whent he applicatgions were turned in but then some people who mailed them on the deadline already got their letters. I'm just scared now. Well if I don't get anything then I might call them....The anticipation sucks but i'm happy for those who got interviews.

tanyas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to remember when I got my invites to UCSD and UCSF last year, and I am thinking it was after New Year's, so relax.....Good luck to you all!

shal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe the files are evaluated randomly. I think I got my invitation around Christmas time last year.

Vandykitten

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I too am eagerly awaiting a response from UCSF - hopefully it'll be positive :)
I'm home right now so I'm a little worried about missing the letter because somebody mentioned how you have to register online to confirm your interview date.

Does UCSF dole out interview notifications in any other media besides a letter? Do they call you or e-mail you? If I don't hear anything past January 6th, I might try giving them a call but their website seems to discourage any type of contact unless it is absolutely critical.

neonam11

Hey, Baby!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Vandykitten said:
I too am eagerly awaiting a response from UCSF - hopefully it'll be positive :)
I'm home right now so I'm a little worried about missing the letter because somebody mentioned how you have to register online to confirm your interview date.

Does UCSF dole out interview notifications in any other media besides a letter? Do they call you or e-mail you? If I don't hear anything past January 6th, I might try giving them a call but their website seems to discourage any type of contact unless it is absolutely critical.

I think mail is the only method UCSF uses to send out invitations and denials. I called once because they made a small error on my application, no a huge mistake, and the receptionist just looked it up her on computer, so maybe she can take a peak at yours as well to tell you your status. It might be worthwhile to have someone you trust to check your mail for you because there is a deadline for you to respond. If you fail to do so, you will forfeit your interview appointment spot.

faradayampere

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
endlesslove said:
Hey there, I think they do them in the order they received the apps (and this certainly does not reflect how strong or weak of an applicant you are or affect the final admissions decision on you) as opposed to geography. I used my Berkeley mailing address and got both SD and SF on Thursday and my pharmacist priority-mailed them to me Friday...so I hope it's not lost in the mail and will arrive Mon or Tues and I hope they will be good letters! Stay strong and patient! Happy holidays! ;)
I mailed my application 2 weeks before the deadline, but SF lost my LOR. So, my application was completed right on Nov. 1 I think. Still no mail today, maybe tomorrow??

endlesslove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
faradayampere said:
I mailed my application 2 weeks before the deadline, but SF lost my LOR. So, my application was completed right on Nov. 1 I think. Still no mail today, maybe tomorrow??

hopefully! my entire app was postmarked Nov. 1 ;) I just got my invitations forwarded to me by my pharmacist via priority mail. :)

endlesslove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
what days of the week are UCSF interviews usually?? I thought they were on the weekend...mine's in the middle of the week =/

shal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe they were primarily held on Friday and Saturday last year.

Minghoo

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I checked the mail today and behold there was NOTHING! Maybe tomorrow!! *Sigh*

Lexian

Bored Beyond Belief
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Minghoo said:
I checked the mail today and behold there was NOTHING! Maybe tomorrow!! *Sigh*

Chin up to those of you still waiting, and a hearty congrats to those of you who have already heard. Have fun! :thumbup:

JustMeAgain

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my ucsf invite on 12/23 and I live out of state. Anyone else interviewing in Feb?

pharmgyrl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I also got my UCSD and UCSF invites. Yay! I'm interviewing in February for UCSF. I'm planning to spend the night before the interview at SF. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I could stay (i.e. any hotels or motels that are near the school)? Also, I'm looking at flights into San Francisco, but I'm showing that there are two airports in SF. Which one should I arrive at? Thanks.

Minghoo

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
pharmgyrl said:
I also got my UCSD and UCSF invites. Yay! I'm interviewing in February for UCSF. I'm planning to spend the night before the interview at SF. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I could stay (i.e. any hotels or motels that are near the school)? Also, I'm looking at flights into San Francisco, but I'm showing that there are two airports in SF. Which one should I arrive at? Thanks.

Well i got my rejection today...sad! But whatever...SF is a cool place to be. I live there. There aren't too many hotels or motels around the school because the school is located in a residential area. There is only ONE airport in SF, and that is SFO. The airport is outside the city, so you'll need to catch a super shuttle to whereever you are staying. If you look up some hotels or motels I can tell you exactly how far they are from UCSF.

Damn I'm so bummed that I didnt' even get a freakin interview...uh this sucks...i hate this crap!

faradayampere

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
UCSF hates me today ... can't believe that it rejected me pre-interview ... always thought that at least I would get an interview ... oh this process is so random ...

trying to figure out why I got denied from UCSF Pharm ... called the office today but it seemed that they were out for vacation ....

is there any appeal process to this?

Lexian

Bored Beyond Belief
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
pharmgyrl said:

There is only one airport in SF, but maybe the second airport you're thinking about is Oakland airport. If you came in through Oakland you could take a BART ride into SF or I suppose a taxi or bus also. Oakland is much less busy than SFO generally.

faradayampere said:
UCSF hates me today ... can't believe that it rejected me pre-interview ... always thought that at least I would get an interview ... oh this process is so random ...

trying to figure out why I got denied from UCSF Pharm ... called the office today but it seemed that they were out for vacation ....

Sorry to hear about that. :( I know there is an appeals process for post-interview rejections, but I'm not sure about pre-interview rejections. The quarter begins again on January 3rd so I would call again next week. Chin up though, weren't you applying to medical schools this application cycle also? How's that going?

Oneday_9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
pharmgyrl said:

Hey I stayed at the Carl Hotel on Carl and Stanyan which is right down the street from school. It's also reasonably priced, my stay was $55 a night. The people there are also very accomadating and cordial.

You can go via Oakland or SFO. SFO is closer and you can take the BART rather easily to the Civic Center, transfer to the MUNI- N Judah to Ocean, and arrive right in front of the Carl Hotel.

When I interviewed, I came in via Oakland bc Southwest does not go to SFO. But the cab cost me 80 bucks. America West may be reasonable and flies to SFO.

Oneday_9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Minghoo said:
Well i got my rejection today...sad! But whatever...SF is a cool place to be. I live there. There aren't too many hotels or motels around the school because the school is located in a residential area. There is only ONE airport in SF, and that is SFO. The airport is outside the city, so you'll need to catch a super shuttle to whereever you are staying. If you look up some hotels or motels I can tell you exactly how far they are from UCSF.

Damn I'm so bummed that I didnt' even get a freakin interview...uh this sucks...i hate this crap!

hey I am sorry to hear about your rejection :(

Are you applying anywhere else? Willing to apply again next year?

cangara

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received my rejection letter from UCSD. I was dissapointed since this school is my first choice. I believe in destiny, and my destiny is leading me towards UOP, WesternU, and USC. So for all rejected applicants, don't stress out too much. Focus on the schools that gave you invitations. Do well and kick some ass.

P.S. Hopefully UCSF likes me ;) (Hahaha).

faradayampere said:

Apteka

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
pharmgyrl said:

yay! congratulations. SFO has a BART (our Metro system) connection (www.bart.gov) so if you take that directly to Civic Center station, it connects to the N Judah (lightrail, called MUNI) and the N reaches UCSF directly.

Like OneDay said, The Carl Hotel is a really convenient choice (it's really right down the street from campus) but if you'll be making a trip out of your stay here, any of the hotels downtown would be convenient, too (since the N Judah runs through downtown SF.)

Good luck on the interview!

cjsdca

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
pharmgyrl said:

Congratulations! I also received the great news from both schools! As for UCSF, I decided to combine my interview with a Valentine's Day weekend trip. I'm also arriving the day before Friday and am staying at the Radisson Miyako hotel in Japantown (only about 3 miles from campus and 10-min bus ride to Union Square). I'm flying into SFO via United as it's a shorter trip to San Francisco versus coming from OAK (not planning on renting a car - may take either BART or shuttle from SFO to hotel area). For my boyfriend and I, I found a great package on expedia for $500 for 3 nights (not too bad for United airlines + hotel)! SF is such a beautiful city and I'm excited to be visiting again! Good luck on your interview! :)

young skywalker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to all that have passed the first stage.
Remember you all are on the same level now, more or less. Time to knock them out at the interview!
I would make sure you do your homework and know what you are talking about. Get to know the field of pharmacy and the program at UCSF like the back of your hand. Here are a couple of things I've noticed about our class.
We are all very unique individuals.
We are all very strong leaders.
We don't all have perfect grades.
We are all very proactive.

I think the key to the interview is knowing who you are and playing up what you have to offer. Find where your strengths are and sell it! Stand out somehow. Also pay attention to detail, your clothes (spend some money here, make sure it is perfect), how you carry yourself, how you speak, etc. etc. Practice interviewing with a trusted friend who is not afraid to bust your butt with criticism. As for the essay, my secret weapon was the GRE prep guides. The GRE have an essay portion to the test, and basically the advice those books gave, either the princeton or barron's was invaluable.

Once again, good luck!

faradayampere

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cangara said:
I received my rejection letter from UCSD. I was dissapointed since this school is my first choice. I believe in destiny, and my destiny is leading me towards UOP, WesternU, and USC. So for all rejected applicants, don't stress out too much. Focus on the schools that gave you invitations. Do well and kick some ass.

P.S. Hopefully UCSF likes me ;) (Hahaha).
anyone who got rejected pre-interview plans to appeal? ... oh UCSF, why do you hate me so much????

pharmgyrl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Minghoo said:

I'm really sorry to hear that. . .I remember what it felt like to be rejected from my first choice school for undergraduate study. I cried all night. But hopefully things will eventually work out for you. I realized that I love my current school. Thanks for your input and for answering my question about the nonexistant dual airports in SF.

pharmgyrl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
cjsdca said:
Congratulations! I also received the great news from both schools! As for UCSF, I decided to combine my interview with a Valentine's Day weekend trip. I'm also arriving the day before Friday and am staying at the Radisson Miyako hotel in Japantown (only about 3 miles from campus and 10-min bus ride to Union Square). I'm flying into SFO via United as it's a shorter trip to San Francisco versus coming from OAK (not planning on renting a car - may take either BART or shuttle from SFO to hotel area). For my boyfriend and I, I found a great package on expedia for $500 for 3 nights (not too bad for United airlines + hotel)! SF is such a beautiful city and I'm excited to be visiting again! Good luck on your interview! :)

Wow! That's a great deal! I alreadly booked my flight into Oakland because my friend at Berkeley was kind enough to let me borrow her car and because I couldn't find a good deal on plane tickets into SFO. The plane tickets alone were going to cost me close to $500 (for my boyfriend and me). That's why I decided to go Southwest and plus it was nonstop. Good luck on your interview.

endlesslove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Minghoo said:

Hey Minghoo, it'll be okay. What matter are that at least one school (a good oen too) wants you and you'll be finishing a yr before the rest of us. Maybe UCSF isn't the best place for you, in contrary to what you think, and instead, UOP (or USC) is actually perfect for you and you will soon realize that when you begin your studies in Fall 2005.

faradayampere said:
oh UCSF, why do you hate me so much????

so far just 1 rejection right? you've got invitations to many other pharm interviews plus your med school interviews. It'll all work out.

faradayampere

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
endlesslove said:
Hey Minghoo, it'll be okay. What matter are that at least one school (a good oen too) wants you and you'll be finishing a yr before the rest of us. Maybe UCSF isn't the best place for you, in contrary to what you think, and instead, UOP (or USC) is actually perfect for you and you will soon realize that when you begin your studies in Fall 2005.

so far just 1 rejection right? you've got invitations to many other pharm interviews plus your med school interviews. It'll all work out.
hopefully things will work out at the end ...

I applied to only 3 pharm schools (UCSD, UCSF, and UOP) though, going to 2 interviews (not many) in Jan for pharm ...

that was why that letter from UCSF "broke" my heart .... i'm still mad about it right now ...

Oneday_9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
faradayampere said:
anyone who got rejected pre-interview plans to appeal? trying to write my letter now ... oh UCSF, why do you hate me so much????

Hey I understand your disappointment, believe me, but the professional thing to do in this situation is probably to respect the decision by UCSF and proceed forth in trying to matriculate at another pharmacy school or give it another shot next year. You may want to ask them later next year or something about what you could do to better your application for the following year or why you may not have been selected. Feedback is essential. But appealing is probably not the best way to handle this particular situation unless there are specific reasons...PM for any ideas or advice...good luck and don't give up! :)

Just write the letter, get all your frustrations out and hold on to it...but don't send it! I've done that before.

Bravehrt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
pharmer_tami said:

Congratulations. When did you turn in your application? Im anxiously awaiting a reply from both USC and UCSF too! :)

tomrocks

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bravehrt said:
Congratulations. When did you turn in your application? Im anxiously awaiting a reply from both USC and UCSF too! :)

i'm not sure if ucsf sent out invites by when you turned in your application because i got mine a week before christmas but i turned in my app about a week before the due date. of course i could be wrong cause i'm sure they recieved a whole bunch after nov 1st. good luck and best wishes!

tom

pharmer_tami

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bravehrt said:

I mailed my UCSF application in on Nov. 1. I turned my USC application probably around Oct. 20 I think.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.