HAS ANYONE RECEIVED THEIR AUGUST MCAT SCORES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikeaparker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
On one of the other boards review.com, people are saying they actually received their scores from the august administration of the mcats??? that really suprises me!!! Has anyone here recieved their mcat's from august yet??? thanks.

mike

Members don't see this ad.

If I remember correctly, it comes Oct. 15.

------------------
Ryan
Western U/COMP Class of 2004
thedigitaldoctor.com

Don't believe it. They're just playing with your mind. The scores will arrive sometime between October 21-28. AAMC won't give an exact date because they send them out in batches reaching people on different days. You can't predict exactly when, but sometime around the 3rd to last week of October. Think positive!

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard from an admissions counselor that the tentative release date is Oct 15.

Remember that AAMCAS has to be sure and make everyone sweat for the full 8 weeks even though they probably have had everything graded for 3 or 4 weeks now. Shoot, with 30,000 people x $165, that puts them at 4.95 million per each administration of the test. You'd think they could hire more than 2 or 3 people to grade everything and get them out in half the time. Oh well, it's only 10 days or so.

------------------
Phillip
Class of 2004 (somewhere)
Happiness isn't having what you want, it is wanting what you have.

Medical schools typically receive the MCAT scores before you and I do. I found out what my scores were (last year) through an amissions officer at a medical school before I received the official score report in the mail.

Whats not to believe Pepper? I'm not TRYING to lie to the guy! I got mine ~Oct. 15 when I took it in '97. Maybe its changed, but I doubt it.

------------------
Ryan
thedigitaldoctor.com

Miglo pepper was not talking about you!! About the scumbags who lied on the review.com site and said they go their scores already...
They almost gave me a M.I. because I don't have my secondaries in yet and I should have them in by the 15th...

mike

That is correct. That is who I was referring to. That's o.k. Miglo.

Pepper

i am glad i am not the only one waiting for my scores, i am so sick of waiting, it is the worst. as soon as any of you august mcat people get your scores please let post it that you got them. it is so frustrating reading about everyone getting interviews i a am just sitting back waiting....

Peds,

I know it sucks. Is this August MCAT the first MCAT you ever took?

The reason I ask is because every school is different. Some won't even look at your file until those scores arrive, others don't wait for those scores, and yet others will interview you if your record has other strengths or if you're scores aren't really that bad after all.

Pepper

To everyone waiting on MCAT scores: don't get too uptight over the numbers. I know someone who has gotten in at 2 schools and 2 more interviews (one at an allopathic school) with a 3.17 GPA and a 23 MCAT. He has a lot of health care experience, has published some articles and writes pretty good essays.

The bottom line: beyond some minimal cut offs, most schools want people who are well rounded, can pass the board exams and communicate with patients.

------------------
Phillip
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Mayqswet,

I'm sorry Mayqswet but either your friend is misinforming you or your leaving a few details out (such as your friend did some extraordinary graduate level work). No offense, but I have friends with near 4 points +30 MCAT's along with the research, volunteer work etc... (typical "well rounded applicant") and they couldn't even get into their state Allopathic school.

DocGibby

Members don't see this ad :)
DocGibby, I think you are right that some people don't get into allopathic school with a near 4.0 gpa and +30 MCAT. However, which school that person applied is also very critical. How well the personal statement as well as the letter of rec had been writen is also very important. Besides, some schools don't want to accept a geek, they want to accept a good person for healthcare.

DocGibby: I don't know about you but a near 4.0 in sciencemajor is anything BUT typical!
smile.gif

------------------
Ryan
thedigitaldoctor.com

DocGibby, I dont think that this person is not telling me the truth. I didn't say that he has been accepted to an allopathic school at this point, he just has an up coming interview at one and has gotten into 2 DO schools.

You are correct in that he has a masters degree and presented his thesis at a national meeting and also got it published. He also teaches part-time at a local university and owns a part-time personal training business.

However, my intent was to point out the fact that admissions committees want variety within the class. This means that if you have more than numbers to show and are willing to stay in contact with admissions counselors, visit the school more that once, etc, there can be a spot for you in the entering class.

I agree with you that it's not typical, but it does happen.

------------------
Phillip

[This message has been edited by Mayqswet (edited October 11, 1999).]

Mayqswet,

I'm just saying that as you can see your friend went to grad school and more than likely did a great job. That more than compensates for weak performance in undergrad. The fact of the matter is that you could be as rounded as a ball and not get in to Osteopathic or Allopathic medicine if you can't perform well in academics. Your friend (through graduate level classes, teaching and publications) demonstrated that he has matured enough to handle the rigors of medical school.

Of course, like anything else in life there are always exceptions. I'm sure there are a few undergrad students on this site with those same numbers and great essays etc.. who got in or will get in somewhere. It's just that the odds are not in their favor. Chances are they'll have to do what your friend did.

DocGibby

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited October 12, 1999).]

Hey everyone....Just to add my 2 cents...I don't think that there is necessarily any "perfect" or "typical" applicant. I think that everyone is different and that there are a lot of factors influencing the admissions people. Maybe they are having a bad day and by the luck of the draw your application comes up that day. It is just one of those things. I would hope that well roundedness would be more important than a really smart person that has absolutely no social skills. That is why I think osteopathic school is so much better than allopathic. Just hope that the person who is looking over your application that day didn't just find out that their spouse is cheating on them. (Ha Ha Ha) mhc

pepper,

august was my second time taking that horrid exam, in april i took it and sucked at the physical science -- really bad. so hopefully i did much better on this one. to everyone else i hope these osteopathic schools look at more than just my mcat scores also becuase i however well i do, it does not reflect all of who i am at all. i think my hospital experience and the fact that i know i can work with patients and other medical professionals is much more important, i am not saying academics are not important, but they do not make a person. so rock on mhc you are right.

Peds,

the reason why I ask about your MCAT dates is because I'd like to help you out. Physical sciences section was nasty. Like you, I took it in April and then re-took it in August this year. I thought my scores were not too low from April, but just to be safe re-took the exam. Like everyone says on this site, it's the whole "package" that is taken into consideration. I contacted some of the D.O. programs before deciding to re-take the MCAT. I wanted to find out if it would really hurt me time-wise for them to wait for my scores. From my conversations with the secretaries (not the directors) at these programs (that I can recall) here's what I found out:

1. KCOM-does a first review of your application and may of may not wait for the second set of scores to offer an interview.
2. MSUCOM-will NOT review your file until the August scores are in.
3. UNECOM-does a first review and may or may not wait for scores to offer an interview.
4. NSUCOM-does a first review and may or may not wait for scores.
5. CCOM-no policy. I couldn't be sure what they do (they didn't give me a clear cut answer). However, they have been known to reject applicants even before their August scores arrive!
6. UOMHS-does a first review and may or may not wait for scores to offer an interview.

In a similar situation as you, I've received 2 interviews, 2 schools said they're going to wait for my August scores, and for the others my status hasn't been decided yet.

In summary, not all D.O. programs wait for the August scores to interview. I don't know if you've applied to any of the programs I listed, but I hope it might help in determining just how important your scores will be when they arrive. Good luck and I hope you get the scores you hoped for!

Pepper

thanks pepper, unfortunatley for me i applied to msucom and ccom so all i can do is wait, but hopefully not too much longer...

In regarding to the MCAT, I think myself as well as many applicants outthere overworried about the scores. In fact, the DO program look at the whole package with a certain minimun requirements. You guys probably don't believe it but I got accepted to Western and was in the first group that had interview at TUCOM (acceptance is very promising) with a 5 in verbal. (5,11,10,Q), haleluja.
I took the MCAT on april 98 and was very disappointed to receive that kind of score. I was so discouraged that I did not apply until Sept 98 and procrastinated my secondary. My files were completed in early Jan99. I got 2 interviews at TUCOM and COMP at the end of the interview process and I was on the waiting list at both. Finally, I've got in this year.
I think as long as you have a decent GPA (3.5 and above) and a well-grounded research volunteer work, I suggest you apply early regardless of MCAT score (of course you have to take it). If you are not lucky to get in the first time applying, you will still be ahead of the game for next year. Besides, DO schools always question your motive for osteopathic medicine. By reapplying, you can show them clearly that you like to program (although many of you look at it as a second choice). With my score, i think my applications would be in the trash can at any MD school. That's my two cents, hope it's helpful to some of you.

Wow! You must have lucked out Moon. Although your other 2 scores are pretty good, a 5 is pretty bad!
smile.gif

Miglo, I believe it was luck that i got in med school. Who doesn't need luck anyway? Prefontaine, I've been reading posts at this website for more than a year. You've always been very informative and probably those info helped me get in medical school. I did not expect that you are so sensitive with spelling and grama. I'm sorry if my imperfect writing skill bothers you. I wonder how you feel when you have to face patients who don't speak English perfectly. For people at this forum, please forgive me for posting this reply off the topic.

Have I received my August MCAT scores yet? Hmmm... lemme see... Ummm... Wait, I'm really trying to remember. The August scores? Yes. Yes. I see what you're asking me. Uhhh... And you want to know if I have the scores within my possession now? I'm sorry... I seem to be struggling with the concept. Oh! Now I remember! You wanted to know if I got my August 1999 MCAT scores. Umm hmm... *nodding*... That's quite a demanding question. Errr... It's becoming clearer and clearer now... yes... now I can see your intention for asking me that question.

what is that suppose to mean? quit teasing sorry people like myself who are getting ulcers waiting for these stupid scores to return.

I'm actually waiting for those scores myself. I applied after my third year, however, so I'm still studying for classes now during my senior year. I really haven't given the MCAT much thought after the month of August. The good news is: We will have the scores by late next week. The bad news is: We will have the scores by late next week. Until then, my fellow pressured August MCAT testers, try not to lose any sleep over "receiving" the scores. You've all struggled enough on August 21st to tide you over for quite a while.

Moon: The schools in CA usually know that a lot of their applicants are not native speakers and tend to be more lenient on low verbal scores (thank god since mine stinks too). I had a friend back at UCI that scored a 4V 12B 15P and he got accepted to UCI Med. A friggin' 4!! His english wasn't that bad either. My point being, since you got in, its all good. Have fun in med school.

Thanks for your understanding, Miglo. I know my english is not so bad. I'm confident that i'll be able to handle the medical curriculum well. It's just the way the test was designed that made ESL students have a hard time. My cousin got in UCSD med school 10 years ago also with a 5 in verbal. Anyway, it's over now.

Hang in there Peds you should recieve your scores either tomorrow or some time next week. It basically should be there any day now.

DocGibby

Check this out if you guys got your scores yet (I did not) then list your scores and if it was what you expected , thanks mike

AAMC is such a tease...... here is their revision....

Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 14:09:07 -0400 (EDT)
[email protected] | Block address
Subject:
msar_clipboard 10/15/99 correction

Add Addresses

Correction to the msar_clipboard MCAT Score Report:

The August MCAT score reports were mailed *from Iowa City* yesterday
and toady, with a remainder being mailed on Monday. You will not
receive your own scores until later on in the near future, depending
upon the mail delivery time in your area of the country.

Please forgive any inconvenience this may have generated.

This and other information about the medical school
application and admission process is available in the
Medical School Admission Requirements, United States and Canada, which
is published each spring by the Association of American Medical
Colleges. The 2000-2001 edition was published
April 1999 ($25, plus $5 shipping for each copy).
To order the MSAR or a complete catalog of AAMC
publications, please call the AAMC's Publications Office
at 202-828-0416. All orders must be prepaid.
To subscribe to this list:
Send message to: [email protected]
Subject line: (leave blank)
Message: subscribe msar_clipboard <your internet e-mail address>
You will be notified when the request has been fulfilled.
To unsubscribe from this list:
Send message to: [email protected]
Subject line: (leave blank)
<your internet e-mail address>

Since when does a test that simply measures how quickly you can read/understand a body of text and answer difficult questions about it have anything to do with your actual abilities to communicate or use proper grammar?

Prefontaine, I have seen you dispense some very useful advice and comments; however, I think your reply to Moon about his/her verbal performance was uncalled for. For a second, I thought I was back on the Princeton Review site.

------------------
Phillip

Prefontaine,

Besides the fact that your MCAT verbal score says little about your ability to effectively communicate with others, Moon was just trying to give an example of something he/she thought would help someone.

------------------
Phillip

[This message has been edited by Mayqswet (edited October 16, 1999).]

Man you people are really scaring me!!! I am really worried about getting my MCAT scores. I just took it for the first time in August. I am also worried about getting accepted. I always thought I was doing the right things, but now I am not so sure. I am working on a research project this year, and I am writing my thesis. I am in the honor's program at my university, and I have a pretty good gpa. I haven't really had time to do any volunteer work though, and I don't have a job in the medical field, although I am working on that. I have a few professors that are going to write me letters of recommendation. What more can I do? Please give me some good advice.....or at least try to relieve my worries a bit.

------------------
Life is a hobbie...

Man you people are really scaring me!!! I am really worried about getting my MCAT scores. I just took it for the first time in August. I am also worried about getting accepted. I always thought I was doing the right things, but now I am not so sure. I am working on a research project this year, and I am writing my thesis. I am in the honor's program at my university, and I have a pretty good gpa. I haven't really had time to do any volunteer work though, and I don't have a job in the medical field, although I am working on that. I have a few professors that are going to write me letters of recommendation. What more can I do? Please give me some good advice.....or at least try to relieve my worries a bit.

------------------
Life is a hobbie...

oops!!! i didn't mean to do that...post that message twice, i mean...sorry about that guys..

Guys and Girls,
I fianlly recv'd my MCAT's today. I did well enough to get into Med School and Osteopathic school, well at least I hope I do. My Scores were 8, 12, 14, and Q. DO you guys think this is competitive, my UG GPA is a 3.0, my post bac is a 4.0, and my Grad is a 3.7. Give me feedback please.

The Sultan of Slam,
Sheik 24

Was your 8 in verbal???

Either way I believe you should be able to get some decent interviews and get into med-school assuming you have some volunteer/medical related work exp...

mike

Great job....I think the national average is around 24.

No MCAT scores in today's mail for me. I did call AACOMAS, who told me that they received the scores on 10/16. They will update files and send to schools this week or next. The man I spoke with refused to disclose scores over the phone.

Maybe tomorrow!

Well, hello everyone. I have used this modality of communication as a means of self assurance and guidance throughout my application process. I just recieved my MCAT results, and my worst fears were confirmed. However, regardless what anyone says, I have yet to give up hope. Numbers don't make the applicant, my friends. Although we as med people love to argue about the profile of the "Successful Applicant", no one truly knows who that is. My love of medicine and the people whom I will treat, my motives and history predisposing me to pursue a career in medicine, extra curricular experience as well as clinical exposure and research, all are considered in reviewing a potential doc. My G.P.A..... 3.64, my 8 hour exam...V9,B9,P5. I know, not stellar. But I know that my motives are just, and hopefully my desire to practice osteopathy will shine through my rather poor performance.

Am I wrong, does anyone disagree with me?? (I hope not). Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but we are measured by more than our MCAT's, correct?

Never quite.

oh, that's quit by the way, not quite. Never quite either though, that works too!

Joshua,
Hey buddy, I agree with you. Students are judged by the whole package. I know of a lot of people who have gotten in with a 23 overall. Infact, I know of a person at my undergraduate institution that got into a prestigious MD school with a 21. She did have a 3.7 gpa with a lot of medical experience though(similar to you). It is hard to base everything on a test that is administered on ONE day of your life and medical schools know this.

Not really what I was hoping for but not ready to give up yet 9VR,7PS,10BS,3.5 overall,3.3 science and committed to osteopathic medicine. Good Luck everyone!

-Josh

For Joshua,

I don't want to sound negative, but I think the 5 in Physics will hurt you. I have heard of people getting accepted with 23 overall, but not with a 5 on a science section. I have also known of people getting in with a 5 on Verbal, but these people are usually non-native English speakers.

Your GPA is fine and your motivation for medicine seems to be positive. I would try applying now (stranger things have happened), but plan on retaking in April and bringing up that Physics score.

Best of luck to you.

prefontaine, That was a pretty nasty thing to say (about the verbal score). Maybe you should rethink your motives for med school and instead, focus on getting a Ph.D. in English. Maybe that would better suit you. I too am sorry that I got off the subject, I just felt the need to defend a person who didn't need to be insulted. mhc

I received my scores in the mail yesterday- all I can say is, it's about damn time we got them back. I'm satisfied with my verbal, phys and bio scores, but I am a little puzzled about my low essay scores. Was anyone else unhappy with their essay score?

Nellie,
I took the MCAT last summer and did pretty well on the verbal, physical, and bio sections, but I, too, did poorly on the essay. My "N", I felt, was not idicative of my writing abilities, which I have always felt were fairly strong. It seems to me that either I had a bad day, the MCAT essay format doesn't suit me, or I am a bit self deceived regarding my writing ablility. Regardless, that score didn't seem to weaken my application- I will be at Western U/COMP next fall. My advice is don't sweat the low essay score- it doesn't seem to have much impact!

------------------
Dan
Western U./COMP class of 2004