Has anyone successfully moved a year before school and qualified for in state tuition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mk187

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
To gain residency in Illinois (for example) you have to live there for 1 yr before the start of the program, have moved there for non-educational purposes, worked and gained income from Illinois businesses. Documents such as lease, rent, utilities, DL, registration to vote can support your claim.

Has anyone successfully moved the year before the start of school and petitioned to get in state tuition? I want to hear stories of those who have or know someone who has, or any tricky things I should be aware of before attempted to uproot my life and hope I get into a DPT program in that state.

Members don't see this ad.

I know the law is set up in a way as to prevent this sort of thing from happening... but... you know. Insane tuition prices. Ridiculous interest rates.

I know the law is set up in a way as to prevent this sort of thing from happening... but... you know. Insane tuition prices. Ridiculous interest rates.
I’m sure you could get the bare minimum you need for proof and do it. I did that for undergrad when I moved to California, I just paid a year of non-resident then claimed it the second year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m sure you could get the bare minimum you need for proof and do it. I did that for undergrad when I moved to California, I just paid a year of non-resident then claimed it the second year.

yes! definitely. my friend did the same thing. first year non resident, then the rest was resident tuition.

It really depends on the program and state because they will all have different rules. Get in contact with the admissions coordinator or ask to speak to an out-of-state student in the program.