1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Has anyone successfully moved a year before school and qualified for in state tuition?

Discussion in 'Pre-Physical Therapy' started by mk187, Jun 26, 2018.

1. mk187

Pre-Physical Therapy
    To gain residency in Illinois (for example) you have to live there for 1 yr before the start of the program, have moved there for non-educational purposes, worked and gained income from Illinois businesses. Documents such as lease, rent, utilities, DL, registration to vote can support your claim.

Has anyone successfully moved the year before the start of school and petitioned to get in state tuition? I want to hear stories of those who have or know someone who has, or any tricky things I should be aware of before attempted to uproot my life and hope I get into a DPT program in that state.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mk187

Pre-Physical Therapy
    I know the law is set up in a way as to prevent this sort of thing from happening... but... you know. Insane tuition prices. Ridiculous interest rates.

4. MBPB

Pre-Physical Therapy
    I’m sure you could get the bare minimum you need for proof and do it. I did that for undergrad when I moved to California, I just paid a year of non-resident then claimed it the second year.

triciamartin23 likes this.
  5. triciamartin23

Physical Therapy Student
    yes! definitely. my friend did the same thing. first year non resident, then the rest was resident tuition.

6. mlb_25

Pre-Physical Therapy
    It really depends on the program and state because they will all have different rules. Get in contact with the admissions coordinator or ask to speak to an out-of-state student in the program.