Has anyone taken a psychology class online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chewbacca4321

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I need a psychology class and was told my the admissions committee that I can take it online. Has anyone taken one before? If so, who did you take it with? Would you recommend it? What did the course cover? How much was it? I would preferably like to take a distance learning course/independent study that allows you to dictate your own time line but allow me to enroll at any time and be done before the fall. Thanks for you advice in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I need a psychology class and was told my the admissions committee that I can take it online. Has anyone taken one before? If so, who did you take it with? Would you recommend it? What did the course cover? How much was it? I would preferably like to take a distance learning course/independent study that allows you to dictate your own time line but allow me to enroll at any time and be done before the fall. Thanks for you advice in advance!

I have never taken one but my 1st year pysch courses were recorded video that we watched in lecture so there was no actual prof. And the next year they made it into an online course, where people watched lectures online. It creates procrastination because you don't have to attend class but you will be fine if you listen to lecture. Dunno what kind of online course you are taking though.

Check with your local community college. I took a sociology class online from my cc, and I only need to show up for the first day and exam days. The course requires self study and all homework/quiz are done online. The class cost the same as regular classes, the starting and ending dates are the same as well. I think it's too late to be enrolled in spring quarter/semester, you might want to take it during summer session if the opt school allows.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I took Health Psychology the beginning of the month online and had to drop it because of the diffuculty and work-load; tests every week and plenty of papers to write each week in a 8 week spand.

I wouldn't recommend taking psych classes online.

I took Abnormal Psych and Human Sexuality on ground and it was a whole lot easier than online(Got a A and B).

Hi,

I just finished taking an online course in Psychology through LSU. I didn't attend LSU for undergrad, I just took this one course through them. When I was looking for places to take the psychology course, I found the course through LSU was really affordable (even more so than my local community colleges) and it was a year round course, meaning that you could start it at anytime rather than at the start of a school term.

Here's the link to the psychology course:
http://www.is.lsu.edu/coursefactsheet.asp?nid=301&Rubric=PSYC&CourseNr=2000&Version=O

It wasn't too bad, but you still have to put the work in. You have to read each chapter which also has a short writing assignment, and two exams (a midterm and a final). You can take the course at your own pace, but I think there's a maximum number of assignments that you can turn in each week.

Reactions: 1 user
I took child psychology online. It was just a lot of buys work each week. We had 5 assignments due each Friday by midnight and then a 10 page paper to write. I easily got an A. I would recommend taking it online if you don't mind busy work. I also came in with AP credit for psychology. I took the extra psych class to fulfill the requirement for UMSL.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I know I will be able to handle the coursework and taking it online really works for my schedule. The replies seem positive for the most part and the LSU class seems especially promising. I will definitely look into it.