Has anyone taken an Advanced Genetics class ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FranceLies

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have taken some kind of Advanced Genetics class I would love to hear about your experiences, what you learned, the format of the class and the text book you used. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally didn't take it, but my friend took Molecular Genetics and said it was a joke. It wasn't much more than intro genetics.

There are a bunch of these at my school, so I'll assume you mean molecular genetics and not population, genomics, microbial, etc. Tend to be heavy on biochemistry and little details, like how polymerases work and expression regulation. Lewin or Watson are probably the most commonly used books. I think it really depends on the professor what you will focus on and how tough it will be because the field itself is enormous.

Members don't see this ad :)
modelslashactor said:
There are a bunch of these at my school, so I'll assume you mean molecular genetics and not population, genomics, microbial, etc. Tend to be heavy on biochemistry and little details, like how polymerases work and expression regulation. Lewin or Watson are probably the most commonly used books. I think it really depends on the professor what you will focus on and how tough it will be because the field itself is enormous.

i took molecular genetics.

the teacher just taught experimental techniques.. like western blots, pcrs, etc. and how they were applied in experiments (okazaki comes to mind)

for me, its a cool class (i dont know how its taught at your school). i researched in cancer genetics and used my notes numerous times.

I took "Genetic Analysis of Biological Processes" and I found it to be one of the most useful science classes I've ever taken. I've seen a lot of the topics that we talked about (RFLP, FLP recombinase, etc) come up in numerous papers and presentations. It was hard and a lot of work, but very worth it.

Took Population Genetics. It was definitely interesting and something I would not have chosen to take, had it not been for the upper division writing requirement my major had. The professor loved everything that had to do with population drifts and bottlenecks. This is probably something you're not looking for, but it is interesting to learn how populations go extinct and lost genetic diversity, etc.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=6432

We were assigned the Lewin book but rarely used it.....we were mostly reading and discussing primary literature.

modelslashactor said:

I award you 10 imaginary SDN points for having the coolest name ever, and for inspiring my new sig. Zoolander is the shizz-nizz

Hehe, I approve of your sig as well zoom-zoom. And in reply to your sig, "Cool story, Hansel!"

Status
Not open for further replies.