Has anyone taken the AAMC verbal self-assessment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparkles21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious to know how everyone else is doing on this assessment. Certain passages contained like 4 hard questions and 1 moderate one. I got all of the hard ones wrong :( Is this similar to how the actual MCAT will be? Is it possible to receive several passages with mostly all hard questions? Other passages seemed quite easy...If anyone would be willing to share their scores (out of 120) and any opinions, it would be greatly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am just curious to know how everyone else is doing on this assessment. Certain passages contained like 4 hard questions and 1 moderate one. I got all of the hard ones wrong :( Is this similar to how the actual MCAT will be? Is it possible to receive several passages with mostly all hard questions? Other passages seemed quite easy...If anyone would be willing to share their scores (out of 120) and any opinions, it would be greatly appreciated! :)

I haven't taken it, but 'm planning to buy it. How many passages were in it? And how long did it take you to finish?

I took it last week and got 81%, 97/120. I took the 7/6 test and found that this extra material straight from AAMC was really helpful especially since I had already taken all of the full lengths and needed extra VR practice. I didn't pay much attention to the difficulty levels but overall I found the self-assessment to be fairly similar to the actual test

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your responses ;D It was 21 passages, and it took me about 3 hours (more or less). I took them in groups of 7, so it would be similar to the actual exam.

Backflip72: Wow, congrats! That is a really high percent. I scored a 71% (85/120). I was somewhat disappointed...was hoping to get in the low 80s. The last passage was extremely difficult for me to comprehend. And like I said, some of the other passages with the "hard" rated questions were challenging for me as well. Did you find any of those passages (or any of the other ones) particularly difficult?

I took it last week and got 81%, 97/120. I took the 7/6 test and found that this extra material straight from AAMC was really helpful especially since I had already taken all of the full lengths and needed extra VR practice. I didn't pay much attention to the difficulty levels but overall I found the self-assessment to be fairly similar to the actual test

This is really good to know! I'm taking the exam 8/4 and was wondering if I should use this for practice instead of finishing up EK 101 and the TPRH verbal workbook.

Thank you so much for your responses ;D It was 21 passages, and it took me about 3 hours (more or less). I took them in groups of 7, so it would be similar to the actual exam.

Backflip72: Wow, congrats! That is a really high percent. I scored a 71% (85/120). I was somewhat disappointed...was hoping to get in the low 80s. The last passage was extremely difficult for me to comprehend. And like I said, some of the other passages with the "hard" rated questions were challenging for me as well. Did you find any of those passages (or any of the other ones) particularly difficult?

Thanks for your reply! Did you take it timed for each group of 7? And did you complete all 3 hours in one day or spread across 3 days?

This is really good to know! I'm taking the exam 8/4 and was wondering if I should use this for practice instead of finishing up EK 101 and the TPRH verbal workbook.

Thanks for your reply! Did you take it timed for each group of 7? And did you complete all 3 hours in one day or spread across 3 days?

I'm taking the 8/4 test too! But, I'm really considering changing it to Aug 10th b/c I want an extra week just to do practice materials, before doing only full length tests and minimal content review for the last four weeks...but I'm undecided right now :(

I think the verbal assessment was very helpful and excellent practice. I've done a few of the EK verbal tests, and they are definitely different from the AAMC ones. I would say do the AAMC ones, and if you have time/feel like you want extra practice, then keep doing EK ones after. Also, IMO the TPRH passages for the most part were somewhat easier than the AAMC ones, but that's just what I thought!

I took them as three separate verbal tests, so 1/day for 3 days. I did time them, but they didn't all even out to 40 questions for 7 passages, so if there were more, I would add 1 min accordingly. Also, it's very helpful to see the categories of questions (application, comprehension, etc.) and level of difficulty (easy, medium, hard) that you got wrong so you can improve on them.

What did you think of your test overall? Were there any topics that were heavily emphasized or any surprises?

I'm taking the 8/4 test too! But, I'm really considering changing it to Aug 10th b/c I want an extra week just to do practice materials, before doing only full length tests and minimal content review for the last four weeks...but I'm undecided right now :(

I think the verbal assessment was very helpful and excellent practice. I've done a few of the EK verbal tests, and they are definitely different from the AAMC ones. I would say do the AAMC ones, and if you have time/feel like you want extra practice, then keep doing EK ones after. Also, IMO the TPRH passages for the most part were somewhat easier than the AAMC ones, but that's just what I thought!

I took them as three separate verbal tests, so 1/day for 3 days. I did time them, but they didn't all even out to 40 questions for 7 passages, so if there were more, I would add 1 min accordingly. Also, it's very helpful to see the categories of questions (application, comprehension, etc.) and level of difficulty (easy, medium, hard) that you got wrong so you can improve on them.

Are you done with content review? I'm planning to just do all three self-assessments this week and then practice tests the remaining 2.5 weeks. Did you buy the rest of the self-assessments?

Are you done with content review? I'm planning to just do all three self-assessments this week and then practice tests the remaining 2.5 weeks. Did you buy the rest of the self-assessments?

Unfortunately, I'm a little behind schedule :( I should be done with content review by Tuesday/Wednesday at the latest, and then I plan on doing 1 practice test everyday for the next four weeks (I know it sounds like a bit much, but hopefully it will be okay...). I bought all of the other assessments too, and I plan on taking them throughout the month. My problem is I really struggle with physics...so I'm debating if I should take another extra week...

Have you finished content review?

Have you finished content review?

No, but I'm retaking so I've gone over content previously. I'm planning to read up on the topics I'm iffy on in between practice tests. When did you start studying? Are you applying this cycle? One week may not make a difference since you're almost done with content review. Sounds like you'll be fine. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
No, but I'm retaking so I've gone over content previously. I'm planning to read up on the topics I'm iffy on in between practice tests. When did you start studying? Are you applying this cycle? One week may not make a difference since you're almost done with content review. Sounds like you'll be fine. :)

I am applying this cycle :( Taking a chance even though it's considered pretty late. What about you? I still have to submit my primary, which I'm hoping to do Wednesday at the latest...so that will definitely cut into my reviewing time...do you think taking the Aug 10th test will be do late for this cycle? Scores will come out Sept 11th vs. Sept 5th....

Quick question for those that took the VR self-assessment..are you able to do several passages and then review your answers afterwards? Or do you have to pause the test after you do X number of passages and then continue passages until you finish the whole thing...? Just need a little clarification :)

Quick question for those that took the VR self-assessment..are you able to do several passages and then review your answers afterwards? Or do you have to pause the test after you do X number of passages and then continue passages until you finish the whole thing...? Just need a little clarification :)

You have to finish the entire assessment before you get any feedback. So, yes. You have to pause the test after you do X number of passages and then continue passages until you finish the whole thing.

You have to finish the entire assessment before you get any feedback. So, yes. You have to pause the test after you do X number of passages and then continue passages until you finish the whole thing.

Sorry for the bump but just to be clear:

Do you have to finish the test in one sitting? People have told me that you can pause it but let's say exit out or something. Can you return to the very next passage on the next day or is it a one time thing. I have the impression that it's like a one time thing and once you X out of the browser you're done. I'm asking this because I want to know if I can practice in 3 sittings since there's 21 passages.

Sorry for the bump but just to be clear:

Do you have to finish the test in one sitting? People have told me that you can pause it but let's say exit out or something. Can you return to the very next passage on the next day or is it a one time thing. I have the impression that it's like a one time thing and once you X out of the browser you're done. I'm asking this because I want to know if I can practice in 3 sittings since there's 21 passages.

You don't have to finish the test in one setting (just leave your browser open, pretty sure you can also resume the test if you do close your browser). But, you can't grade the test or see the answers until you finish the whole thing.

If you are dividing it up over a few nights, which I recommend you do, you should be able to do this little work around a few of us figured out. Before you start, choose "start offline" and you'll be able to navigate to a webpage with the answers. Copy these down and then proceed to start the test online.

Once you hit submit on either the offline or online modules, it will lock you out of the test. You can get AAMC to restart it for you, but it's a pain and takes them awhile to respond to your email.

You don't have to finish the test in one setting (just leave your browser open, pretty sure you can also resume the test if you do close your browser). But, you can't grade the test or see the answers until you finish the whole thing.

If you are dividing it up over a few nights, which I recommend you do, you should be able to do this little work around a few of us figured out. Before you start, choose "start offline" and you'll be able to navigate to a webpage with the answers. Copy these down and then proceed to start the test online.

Once you hit submit on either the offline or online modules, it will lock you out of the test. You can get AAMC to restart it for you, but it's a pain and takes them awhile to respond to your email.

Just to confirm, you can press pause, then X out of the browser, then take more the next day. I am sure about this for the MCAT Verbal. There are also 120 questions. I'm doing 3 passages a day now 3 weeks from MCAT.

Wait, im confused here.
Some ppl say you have to finish it all at once while others say you can do it over a few nights?

Wait, im confused here.
Some ppl say you have to finish it all at once while others say you can do it over a few nights?

You can take it over multiple nights (resuming your progress). The only caveat is you cannot have the answers checked for you or any of the post analysis (which is only somewhat useful) completed until you finish the entire test..

UNLESS you realize this ahead of time and start the test offline.. copy down the answers and then restart the test online. Then you can take it over multiple nights while still checking your answers.

Did you time yourself when you did the assessment or is there a timer available for you?

Thanks! :)

Did you have to count the passages or were there break screens between the 7 passages? I hope to start this today. I probably will definitely take a break between the 7 passages though and I will time myself for 60 minutes to give myself real timing conditions.

I just finished taking the verbal self assessment and thought it was really good practice.
You do have to count the passages (there's no break screen or anything), but instead of going by passages I went by questions and did ~40 questions in one sitting.

Is there any way you can print out just the answers to the verbal section so that you can check your answers while you go through the questions?

Thanks.

can anyone who's taken the aamc self assessment verbal & either the real mcat or practice aamcs comment on their % right on the self assessment as compared to their score on the real mcat or practice aamcs? Are the questions "plucked" in any particular way? Or will the real MCAT be just like these passages? I was having a hard time finishing these passages on time whereas EK/TPRH verbal workbook were easy to finish on time...

What I'm wondering is if the self-assessment has a higher concentration of "harder" or more dense passages than the actual MCAT will have?

Thanks!

can anyone who's taken the aamc self assessment verbal & either the real mcat or practice aamcs comment on their % right on the self assessment as compared to their score on the real mcat or practice aamcs? Are the questions "plucked" in any particular way? Or will the real MCAT be just like these passages? I was having a hard time finishing these passages on time whereas EK/TPRH verbal workbook were easy to finish on time...

What I'm wondering is if the self-assessment has a higher concentration of "harder" or more dense passages than the actual MCAT will have?

Thanks!

haven't gotten my real scores back... I thought the assessments were good practice... I was doing good on the assessments.... I thought the actual MCATs were harder because they were not all the same subject... assessments aren't really all that great because they don't test all the topics unfortunately but they are still worth the practice... keep it up!!! :)

I can't seem to find this...