Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Has anyone taken the MCAT before O-Chem II?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Crookshanks, May 9, 2007.

1. Crookshanks

Crookshanks Juju 2+ Year Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Florida
    Hi,
    I was wondering if any of you have taken the MCAT before taking O-Chem II...if so, could you tell me how it went? Did you regret it?

Thoughts?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. olemissbabydoc

olemissbabydoc Baby Doctor Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Between "there" and "there"
    MDApps:
    Yes, and before about 75% of my pre-reqs. Don't know how it went yet.. next week :eek:

4. Crookshanks

Jun 18, 2006
    Florida
    How were you doing on the practice test before you took it? Decent?

(WHY did you do this?)

5. Sindaena

Sindaena

May 9, 2007
    I took my O Chem final exam on 4/30/07 and the MCAT on 4/7/07. I dont regret it. I scored a 12 on the bio section and 38S overall.

Liz

6. Crookshanks

Jun 18, 2006
    Florida
    Which O-Chem though? O-Chem II?

7. Crookshanks

Jun 18, 2006
    Florida

BTW, congrats!

8. olemissbabydoc

olemissbabydoc Baby Doctor Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Between "there" and "there"
    MDApps:
    Yeah, my practice tests ranged from 25-30.

I'm doing my pre-reqs in one year post bacc, and I wanted to apply this cycle for 2008. If I need to retake, I am retaking in August, and I'll have finished two more prereqs by then...

9. AnesthesiaMD

AnesthesiaMD 2+ Year Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Orgo. is only 25% of the Biological Sciences portion of the MCAT. Based on that, I don't think Orgo II. would be necessary for the MCAT, but then again you may get a bunch of reactions on the exam that are taught in Orgo. II like the Friedel-Crafts acylations or the Wittig reaction to name a few.

10. Crookshanks

Jun 18, 2006
    Florida
    Anyone else taken/taking the MCAT before taking O-Chem II? I'll be taking MCAT in May 2008 and taking O-Chem II after it (that summer) and I'm scared!

11. scotties123

scotties123 GrandMacDaddy 10+ Year Member

Apr 29, 2007
    im taking mcat this august (maybe july dunno yet for sure), and im taking orgo 2 this upcoming fall semester. i took orgo 1 about 2 1/2 years ago so i basically dont remember any orgo. trust me its not that bad at all. im really just focusing on "this reagant + this reagant = this product". id say 70% of orgo is knowing that a (-)Nucleophile attacks a (+)Electrophile. from that alone u can guess about 50% of the orgo questions. and like someone said, 25% of BS is orgo. dont sweat it.

12. DiscoDoc

DiscoDoc Till I Collapse 2+ Year Member

Jun 26, 2006
    Grenada, West Indies
    Depends on how your school divides up the courses. In my case, Orgo II had all the NMR and IR stuff, along with several of the key reactions required for the MCAT. I had to learn all that stuff on my own, and as Bart Simpson said when reading Itchy and Scratchy the Novel, "It's just not the same"!

I took orgo II last fall and all that stuff finally makes sense. I should be alright this time around.

13. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    MDApps:
    I took it before Orgo II - will have the score on Wednesday.

It looks like these days orgo comprises just 2 out of the 7 passages, so even if you ARE lacking in some area of orgo, it's unlikely to impact your score significantly.

Also, I prepped with EK Orgo and felt confident about all the orgo material I encountered on my test.