Has anyone taken the WREBs yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AzianCwRU

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be taking it during May 1-4, 2003 and if you have any advice, it'd be great if you could give myself and others a few pointers. Also I was wondering how picky were the examiners when submitting patients for approval for the operative section?

1) I was planning on and MOD amalgam on #30. Only potential problem is that # 4 is broken down and only has a pulpectomy for the time being. The patient doens't have a lot of money and there isn't time to do much for that tooth. There is still contact from #3 and the lingual cusp of #4. Do you think they will allow me to do it?

2) I also have a perfect MO on #14. Only problem is #13 has D caries that probably requires endo. I've talked to my instructors and they said it would be best to have that restored. However this patient is hard to get in. One of my other instructors who also is a grader for NERBs said that the only problem is that of achieving proximal contact. I don't think I'll have a problem with that however. Though you specify which tooth you want to do, will they MAKE you do another one which is worse off like #13 DO?

3) For your ENDO teeth, what did you use to mount them? They say denture acrylic however can you use Trim acrylic temporary material?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, just to update you all... :p I excavated the decay on # 13... indirect pulp capped it with light cured dycal and placement of an amalgam restoration... this should suffice for the examination, although root canal therapy will probably be needed later...

Hi

i'm wondering about the seeking of patients.How do you do because there are some scams ?

Pat:mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not do an MOD - just more room for error. I did an mo on 13 and 12 had a caries but it wasn't cavitated so I could still restore the contact.

I took crdts, and the examiners were leniant with patient selection except for perio - and the perio section is what almost failed a number of us.

good luck

Originally posted by AzianCwRU
I'll be taking it during May 1-4, 2003 and if you have any advice, it'd be great if you could give myself and others a few pointers. Also I was wondering how picky were the examiners when submitting patients for approval for the operative section?

1) I was planning on and MOD amalgam on #30. Only potential problem is that # 4 is broken down and only has a pulpectomy for the time being. The patient doens't have a lot of money and there isn't time to do much for that tooth. There is still contact from #3 and the lingual cusp of #4. Do you think they will allow me to do it?

2) I also have a perfect MO on #14. Only problem is #13 has D caries that probably requires endo. I've talked to my instructors and they said it would be best to have that restored. However this patient is hard to get in. One of my other instructors who also is a grader for NERBs said that the only problem is that of achieving proximal contact. I don't think I'll have a problem with that however. Though you specify which tooth you want to do, will they MAKE you do another one which is worse off like #13 DO?

3) For your ENDO teeth, what did you use to mount them? They say denture acrylic however can you use Trim acrylic temporary material?

How close were you pulp wise? The CaOH2 you used should suffice for a few weeks, hopefully. If I were you, I would have restored #13 in composite, should you nick it- it can be easily polished.

Good luck on the Wrebs...I have taken Cal, WREBs, & NV .....of all of them WREBs were the most enjoyable! (For a board exam...that is....)

I've never heard of such. Care to elaborate on how this could be a scam? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by prin
Hi

i'm wondering about the seeking of patients.How do you do because there are some scams ?

Pat:mad:

Thanks for the input. I as gonna take the CRDTS but my state also accpets the WREBS and it's offered at my school which makes it even more applealing, besides the fact that it's more candidate friendly.

It is true about what you say, that it is more room for error. I will save that for my last resort. Hopefully it won't come down to that.

Originally posted by DrRob
I would not do an MOD - just more room for error. I did an mo on 13 and 12 had a caries but it wasn't cavitated so I could still restore the contact.

I took crdts, and the examiners were leniant with patient selection except for perio - and the perio section is what almost failed a number of us.

good luck

Thanks for replying. I probably still had about 1 mm of dentin. The reason why I put amalgam was because it will be easier to remove completely in about six months or so to remove any remaining decay/ decalcified dentin after new dentin is deposited from the light cured Dycal.

Since you are one of the few who actually have the experience with WREBs in here, what did you use to mount your endodontic teeth? That would be great if you could let me know. Also any other advice you can give me would be wonderful.

Originally posted by uop2001
How close were you pulp wise? The CaOH2 you used should suffice for a few weeks, hopefully. If I were you, I would have restored #13 in composite, should you nick it- it can be easily polished.

Good luck on the Wrebs...I have taken Cal, WREBs, & NV .....of all of them WREBs were the most enjoyable! (For a board exam...that is....)

Hi

some people "sold " patients for clinical exam.And sometimes there's nothing or bad cases .That's why i ask how you found the patients treasure island

Pat

AzianCwRU
I recently took the WREB examination. You can mount your endo teeth in denture repair resin (I used red) and make sure you have that 4mm apical wax showing on the radiograpth on the apex, thats very important to have.
Itsmoney! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I mounted it in pink acrylic (the powder + monomer) make sure you stay within the dimension guidelines!!! ask away!!!

Originally posted by AzianCwRU
Thanks for replying. I probably still had about 1 mm of dentin. The reason why I put amalgam was because it will be easier to remove completely in about six months or so to remove any remaining decay/ decalcified dentin after new dentin is deposited from the light cured Dycal.

Since you are one of the few who actually have the experience with WREBs in here, what did you use to mount your endodontic teeth? That would be great if you could let me know. Also any other advice you can give me would be wonderful.

Just from what I've heard the most important thing in preparing for Regional Exams is PATIENT SELECTION. I'm sure there are students out there who might sell "patients" to those in need, but I couldn do never allow myself to do that. I doubt most of my classmates could either. If I had an backup/extra patient, I'd have not problem letting my classmate treat them. At my school we've been in this for 4 years and we are in this together. I'd like to see each and everyone of them pass their respective boards and take the next step. I've found my patients by 1) my own school patient pool,
2) self admits, and/or
3) friends/acquaintances

Take the time to bring them in, explain why you would like them to sit for the examination. Most understand and are willing to come in and help you. Develop some sort of rapport with them. Don't take the chance of letting someone else "choose" your own patients for you. This is your exam and you need to take responsibility to make sure you're as well prepared as can be.

Originally posted by prin
Hi

some people "sold " patients for clinical exam.And sometimes there's nothing or bad cases .That's why i ask how you found the patients treasure island

Pat

I asked one of the faculty who's one of the ones who helps us prepare for boards, and he said our students last year used Trim acrylic. He said as long as it was opaque it was okay. I used Trim also because I found that using the Denture repair acrylic was too hard to trim on the model trimmer. I used the white rope wax and had at least 6 mm beyond the apex but for some reason it was very faint and not clear on the x ray at all, even palying with the x ray settings. I had to section the block, remove the wax, enlarge the hole and placed a HUGE ball of RED wax. My advice: Use a bigger and perhaps RED wax. It was better in my opinion.