Status
Medical Student
For Fall, 2010, I am enrolled in the following semester courses:

Biology I w/ Lab: 4 cr
Organic I Lecture: 3 cr
Organic I Lab: 2 cr
Physical Chemistry I: 3 cr (no lab)
Analytical Chemistry w/ Lab: 5 cr

Has anyone taken these three chem courses together with the first semester of pre-med bio?

Dec 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I thought most colleges required 2 semesters of general chem before ochem?

airbuspilot

15+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
Status
Medical Student
I thought most colleges required 2 semesters of general chem before ochem?
I've already taken 2 semesters of general chem w/ labs, plus two semesters of physics w/ labs, and math through differential equations (plus other general ed. courses and the like).

tabishis

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2009
Status
Don't do it, dude. I took some crazy science classes last summer with fulltime work. I had to study my ass off to ace those.

niblet

10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Whoa, did you join SDN as a fifth grader?

NerdyAndrea

Pre-Med Student
Feb 10, 2010
At my school
Status
Pre-Medical
Good luck last person I know of that did that here is retaking the whole Ochem sequence(I is only offered Fall Semester and II ony spring). If you can handle it you're superman or woman.

Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status

Has anyone taken these three chem courses together with the first semester of pre-med bio?
17 credits. i am taking 16 this semester and it doesn't seem too bad, i am not too time starved and i am managing atleast B+ in everything, prob A's in some.

orgo IIB 4 credits
bio II 3 credits
general genetics 3 credits
microbiology 3 credits
calc C 3 credits

i hate labs, so i guess u might be a little crazy lol.

st2205

Attending
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
17 credits. i am taking 16 this semester and it doesn't seem too bad, i am not too time starved and i am managing atleast B+ in everything, prob A's in some.
I usually took 18-20 credits in undergrad (wasn't shooting for 4.0 or even 3.8, for that matter), but this is a sequence of courses that I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole. Plus, labs list for 1 hour but you really do 3 hours worth of work. With the labs and difficulty of the courses, this is more like a 25+ credit hour semester. I'd hope you're not working/volunteering/doing reasearch/socializing.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician

Don't do it.

I had p-chem, a-chem, micro, and biochem all in a semester. It was horrible.

May 27, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'm a chem major in my last semester and I say with that schedule, get ready to cry every day this fall.

Ultimeaciax

10+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
USA
Status
Pre-Medical
I took:

Organic Chemistry I: 3 credits
Biology II: 4 credits
Physics II + lab: 4 credits
Vertebrate Comparative Anatomy + lab: 4 credits
Microbiology + lab: 4 credits
Inorganic Chemistry II lab: 1 credit

End result: All A's except a B in Anatomy. I couldn't keep up with the course, since I had to memorize like a gazillion things for the quizzes each week. So, it's doable...but prepare yourself to study a lot! I had at least an exam every single week.

I hope each semester at med school won't be harder than that.

Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status
I usually took 18-20 credits in undergrad (wasn't shooting for 4.0 or even 3.8, for that matter), but this is a sequence of courses that I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole. Plus, labs list for 1 hour but you really do 3 hours worth of work. With the labs and difficulty of the courses, this is more like a 25+ credit hour semester. I'd hope you're not working/volunteering/doing reasearch/socializing.
ILL SOCIALIZE WHEN I AM DEAD! oh wait wrong thing. i volunteer 3 hours a week and now that my spring break has started, i plan to vounteer 20 hours in this week.

addo

7+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2010
Texas
Status
If the p chem class you want to take is THE actual p chem class, with serious treatment of quantum mechanics and full treatment of the math involved, which goes beyond a semester of ODEs then I would highly advise against it.
If the class deals more with classical thermodynamics, and has a more laid back approach to quantum theory then its not too bad. It would be a challenging load, but managable if you dont have to work or have any other time consuming engagements.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Wouldn't recommend the 20 credits a few posts above unless all you want to do is study. Just saying.

La Doctora

I'm a girl.
Oct 11, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Wow. Are you oblivious to the damage you're going to do to yourself/your gpa?

cubssox2000

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2008
In the MKE
Status
Medical Student
This is actually a doable schedule - IF you can keep up with all of the courses. Because if one course starts to slip, then you are going to risk dropping lower in other courses to try and bring that one up. You could potentially kill you sGPA in a semester and not have enough remaining classes to get it back up.

No not do it.

chman

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Psychology
I say do it.

Just kidding. I wanted to be different.

metalgirl14

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
WI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This is a VERY bad idea. The most science classes I had in one quarter was like two...and that was a lot of work.

bookfreak89

10+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2006
West Coast, USA
Status
Medical Student
I am reiterating what someone else already mentioned. Biology + Organic chemistry in one semester is fine. However, if the p-chem is the notoriously difficult/crazy p-chem, then I say no-go. I am not sure how tough analytical chem is. Probably just as bad as p-chem.

jturkel

7+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]

strange. organic chemistry is required before taking physical chemistry and analytical chemistry....at least at my major university...and i know it is that way at a lot of others.

Poliscidoc

7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
strange. organic chemistry is required before taking physical chemistry and analytical chemistry....at least at my major university...and i know it is that way at a lot of others.
Same at my school

orthomyxo

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

Whaterya nuts??

O chem + P chem + A chem = sad airbuspilot

Doodl3s

7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2009
NorthEast
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Worse I ever did was; Orgo + Molec. Cell biology + Physics.
i had to beg the advisor to allow me. I had a 4th easy class though...
if you're confident in your nerd powers to take this, then bio should be your easy 4th and pchem/ochem/achem will be DO-able, but still SUCK!

Jan 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
dude are you trying to kill yourself

kikiu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
If you are like 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the human population, this is what will happen:

1. Your mental health will severely decline
2. Your social health will decline.
3. Even with #1 and #2 happening, your GPA will take a hit.

Honestly, it's just stupid to take all of those together.

allie1361

PGY 4
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2009
Houston, TX
Status
Resident [Any Field]
That schedule is called hell. You won't be happy for the entire fall semester.

vickpick

TreeHugger
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2008
NC
Status
Medical Student
i'm gonna take immuno, eco, micro + lab, biochem 1, and ethics next semesters, and I still think your schedule is going to be way harder than mine..

i took pchem last semester-spring.. not bad.. but still not easy
analytical chem is very hard for me.. organic's not bad bio 1's probably gonna be easy..

But here's the thing.. u haven't even taken bio 1 or orgo 1.. how do u know u'll do well in the advanced chem classes?

taking a hard schedule is not smart when u can't even estimate what grades u'll make

Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status

orgo IIB 4 credits
bio II 3 credits
general genetics 3 credits
microbiology 3 credits
calc C 3 credits

i hate labs, so i guess u might be a little crazy lol.
okay i regret doing this now since i have like 3 finals in 1 day for almost 9 hours straight, plus an additional exam the day after at 8 in the morning.

Squeal

Think for yourself
Feb 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
At my university, the orgo and pchem sequences are notoriously the hardest courses on campus. It would be suicide to try to do both for 99% of people.

nabeel76

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
Status
At my university Analytical Chemistry was the most time consuming course I had ever taken. I took pchem, bioinorganic chemistry, biochem lab and an easy health science course that same semester and the majority of my days went to analytical chem. Pchem isn't too hard if your good at math - didn't take much of my time. So in a nutshell, Analytical Chem and OChem will CONSUME you. You might not have as much time as your going to need for your labs and other courses. Don't DO it!!

P.S. While bio may be easy it is still somewhat time consuming if you've never been exposed to it. There's a lot of things to remember about the cell, organs, tissues, etc. I took it freshman year and it took me a while to read all of the assigned reading and then study it.

Don't do it.

Mar 2, 2010
New York, New York
Status
Medical Student
At my university Analytical Chemistry was the most time consuming course I had ever taken. I took pchem, bioinorganic chemistry, biochem lab and an easy health science course that same semester and the majority of my days went to analytical chem. Pchem isn't too hard if your good at math - didn't take much of my time. So in a nutshell, Analytical Chem and OChem will CONSUME you. You might not have as much time as your going to need for your labs and other courses. Don't DO it!!

P.S. While bio may be easy it is still somewhat time consuming if you've never been exposed to it. There's a lot of things to remember about the cell, organs, tissues, etc. I took it freshman year and it took me a while to read all of the assigned reading and then study it.

Don't do it.
Have to disagree on the pchem - although I'm sure it's entirely dependent on the course/professor themselves. It was the most time-consuming course I'd ever taken - really insane, long homework assignments, etc. Analytical chemistry, imho, was interesting/fun and not all that difficult compared to most of my other upper-level chemistry courses.

FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am taking 21 credits this fall and working full time, and I can say confidently that if PChem at my college is as hard as they say, I would take it alone. I have talked to many chem majors and every single one says f*** PChem,

My dentist told me that PChem was at least 10x harder than anything he took in dental school.

Mar 2, 2010
New York, New York
Status
Medical Student
I am taking 21 credits this fall and working full time, and I can say confidently that if PChem at my college is as hard as they say, I would take it alone. I have talked to many chem majors and every single one says f*** PChem,

My dentist told me that PChem was at least 10x harder than anything he took in dental school.
Yeah, when non-chem major pre-meds talk about OChem being insanely difficult, us chem majors used to roll our eyes. Junior/senior year, we were all wishing we could be back in sophomore year, sitting through orgo classes - it was just so easy by comparison.

I will say that Pchem was interesting and I enjoyed it - my professor was one of the most amazing teachers I ever had. Pretty rare that you meet one who really *loves* to teach and interact with students. But that doesn't change the fact that the course raped every last one of us. :laugh:

nabeel76

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
Status
Have to disagree on the pchem - although I'm sure it's entirely dependent on the course/professor themselves. It was the most time-consuming course I'd ever taken - really insane, long homework assignments, etc. Analytical chemistry, imho, was interesting/fun and not all that difficult compared to most of my other upper-level chemistry courses.
I think its relative, I am good at math so it was very easy for me. I even got an award in pchem at the end of the year. However, pchem wasn't considered an easy course at my school and the instructor wasn't known to be easy - we did have to know everything including the derivations. But just like physics and upper level electrical engineering courses of the likes of electromagnetics, they are mostly problem based - and if your good at math you can spend a night or two prior to the exam working problems and do really well on the exams.

However, courses like Organic Chemistry or Biochemistry in my opinion, are more time consuming because unlike pchem there is a lot to remember. You can't, or at least I couldn't, memorize the details of metabolism (Krebs, glycolysis etc) in 1 or 2 nights. That required more time. So in that aspect it was harder.

You may be right about the analytical chemistry, as I went to two undergrad universities and I had heard it was not that bad at one of them. Unfortunately it was known to be the hardest chem course for chem majors at the 2nd university that I went to and it was, we had a ton of un-necessary work and the teacher was extremely picky.

snorlax

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah, when non-chem major pre-meds talk about OChem being insanely difficult, us chem majors used to roll our eyes. Junior/senior year, we were all wishing we could be back in sophomore year, sitting through orgo classes - it was just so easy by comparison.

AGREED! I'm taking pchem for the first time this quarter after taking ochem the last 3 quarters, and regret taking ochem for granted all this time :(

I will say that Pchem was interesting and I enjoyed it - my professor was one of the most amazing teachers I ever had. Pretty rare that you meet one who really *loves* to teach and interact with students. But that doesn't change the fact that the course raped every last one of us. :laugh:
I'm extremely jealous. My professor is the most boring person on the planet, not just as a teacher. In class he just explains the math behind every equation without regard to the physical significance. I am so turned off by the subject and am switching my major to Biochem.

In regard to the OP, if you have the energy to take all those classes at once, I am extremely impressed. I think everyone should have at least one insane quarter/semester, but I've had mine and I never plan on doing it again.

Oct 30, 2009
NY
Status
Pre-Medical

Of course. But why do that to yourself???

Quaero

7+ Year Member
May 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
If you haven't done things like this before, you may want to consider the time lost to retaking some of the courses with a less-than-stellar grade. :(

Wheee

i'm in!
May 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
That would be ridiculous.

As it is, you'll be spending 3 afternoons in lab (& how does pchem not have a lab? that's weird). I took bio/organic together, and then the next year analytical/biochem. the bio/organic combination wasn't bad, and if I'd gone to any other school where biochem wasn't a complete joke those two together would have been iffy. Our analytical lab was scheduled for 3 hours, but you'd easily spend 4 or 5 every week. The lab reports were really time consuming as well, plus then there's the whole class part too. PChem is, I'd say, the most difficult course a chem major has to take, because it's so different from any other chem course you'd have taken.

Like other people said, get rid of analytical or p-chem (my vote would be p-chem. I found that the reasoning techniques and application of math to chemistry I learned in analytical made p-chem slightly less intimidating). Put in a fluff class in its place--no matter how much you love science, with those three you'll be begging for a break.

Mar 2, 2010
New York, New York
Status
Medical Student
I think its relative, I am good at math so it was very easy for me. I even got an award in pchem at the end of the year. However, pchem wasn't considered an easy course at my school and the instructor wasn't known to be easy - we did have to know everything including the derivations. But just like physics and upper level electrical engineering courses of the likes of electromagnetics, they are mostly problem based - and if your good at math you can spend a night or two prior to the exam working problems and do really well on the exams.

However, courses like Organic Chemistry or Biochemistry in my opinion, are more time consuming because unlike pchem there is a lot to remember. You can't, or at least I couldn't, memorize the details of metabolism (Krebs, glycolysis etc) in 1 or 2 nights. That required more time. So in that aspect it was harder.

You may be right about the analytical chemistry, as I went to two undergrad universities and I had heard it was not that bad at one of them. Unfortunately it was known to be the hardest chem course for chem majors at the 2nd university that I went to and it was, we had a ton of un-necessary work and the teacher was extremely picky.
I don't think organic chemistry involves all memorization - for me, I did well because I understood mechanistic details - how one molecule would react with another, etc. So memorization of A + B -> C wasn't necessary. If you're doing it that way, of course it's going to be much more difficult to learn.

phonyreal98

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
Status
MD/PhD Student

I took something similar this past semester. I had genetics and molecular bio, orgo II, and analytical chemistry. Of course, I didn't take any of the labs with these classes and the fourth class I took was social psychology, which might be a little teeny tiny bit less intense than pchem...bottom line though...I would not recommend this course schedule and if for some reason you go through with this, drop the labs if you can.