1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Has anyone taught English in China or gone on any Carribbean service programs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by E'01, Feb 12, 2002.

1. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Have any of you guys done the above? If so, through what program did you do it? I'm looking at summer programs. Does anyone know how reputable the alliance abroad program is (www.alliancesabroad.com)? How can one get a cheap airfare to China? Do you think they'd (the schools and community) be open to someone who is an ethnic minority?

For those who went to the Carribbean - where did you go and what did you do?

* Sorry Jamier2 I know this thread should be placed elsewhere so I know it'll be shifted soon.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.
    10+ Year Member

what's up girl. it seems we're on the same wavelength on a lot of stuff.. The summer plans have been stirring in my head and keeping my mouse moving around the internet. The best page I've found thus far is 'Volunteers for Peace' <a href="http://www.vfp.org" target="_blank">www.vfp.org</a> which you can place in dates you want to go and it will output a whole slew programs in that timeframe. Even better is their minimal cost, when compared to alliannces abroad or the like. Check out the .pdf file on their website that outlines their program and has the registration on page 3.

I'm seriously considering Dar es Salaam, Tanzania for May6-26. It's 2 days after graduation and I can be back in time for my sister's wedding on June 1st and have the rest of the summer to do something else.

4. jase133

jase133 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

This is something I'm interested in too. Would you guys/girls care to coordinate something together? I'd feel much more comfortable going to an unknown part of the world with some people I (sort of) know.

Private message me!

5. hey are these programs for undergraduates, and do they help somehow with the med school admissions?

6. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey people - first it's DnB now travel, USeF :) Thanks for that website. It was pretty informative and cheap! My main concern though is safety - especially since I'm a female going solo. Jase133 that's a great idea! I've PM-ed you.

7. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by pj02007:
    <strong>hey are these programs for undergraduates, and do they help somehow with the med school admissions?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">These programs are usually for anyone over 18. As for med school admissions, I guess it can't hurt, but that's not why I want to do it. I want to travel but rather than just do touristy things, I want to get involved with the community. Plus, the summer would be perfect - rather than the Peace Corps etc.

8. figure five

figure five Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hi,

I taught english in China over the summer of 1999. I went with Volunteers in Asia, an organization that places teachers in China, Japan, Vietnam, Indonesia, and Laos for summers and 1-2 year commitments. I taught for 2 months, and then had a month and a half to backpack all around southeast asia. It was amazing!

you can email me if you have any questions or anything. as for usefulness in applying to medical school -- I'm not sure. Teaching is always an enriching experience, I think. Plus, learning mandarin is probably valuable if you're planning on attending school in a major city (SF, NYC, etc).

9. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
  10. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    sorry - bump

11. liesie59

liesie59 Member
    7+ Year Member

I taught English in China last summer. The trip was coordinated by a partner program between my university and Zheijang University in China. It was an amazing time and I really enjoyed the 6 weeks I was there. I'm not sure if it has helped me at all with admissions, but it was an experience I'm glad I had.

12. i'd be interested in programs in russia. any out there??

13. bump, are there any programs which provide volunteer opportunities in Russia??

14. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    BUMP.

I'm sure there are pj002007 - I just haven't been researching that area. Check out <a href="http://www.alliancesabroad.com" target="_blank">www.alliancesabroad.com</a>

15. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Here's another good link. You pay $575 and they give you free housing, health insurance and airfare. There's no salary though.

<a href="http://www.chinet.org" target="_blank">http://www.chinet.org</a>