Has anyone tried depression counseling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainJackSparrow83

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont want to say Im depressed because I can enjoy a movie or going outside or doing anything but Im unable to get myself to focus anymore. I have an exam tomorrow and about 11 lectures to revise and here I am, all I want to do is go on youtube , or watch a movie, do anything but study.

Im wondering if I should make an appointment with the school counselor but I cant imagine anything they would be able to do besides tell me to suck it up and study

Members don't see this ad.

I dont want to say Im depressed because I can enjoy a movie or going outside or doing anything but Im unable to get myself to focus anymore. I have an exam tomorrow and about 11 lectures to revise and here I am, all I want to do is go on youtube , or watch a movie, do anything but study.

Im wondering if I should make an appointment with the school counselor but I cant imagine anything they would be able to do besides tell me to suck it up and study

Pretty sure that's how mostly everyone feels. Let the fear of crippling debt and unemployment motivate you.

Reactions: 3 users
Pretty sure that's how mostly everyone feels. Let the fear of crippling debt and unemployment motivate you.

That just makes it worse, Im only about 15,000 maybe less into tuition + rent payments, and its family funded, if thats the only motivator I could just back out and pick any career with my undergrad and make 50,000

Members don't see this ad :)
That just makes it worse, Im only about 15,000 maybe less into tuition + rent payments, and its family funded, if thats the only motivator I could just back out and pick any career with my undergrad and make 50,000

Counselors won't say that but SDN will. Based on the ongoing posts you have been making, I am gonna say counseling might be a solid idea, but for today, you need to find a timing app on your computer set it for 15-20 minutes, study for that time then allow 5 minute breaks. Don't give in to apathy.

Reactions: 3 users
but I cant imagine anything they would be able to do besides tell me to suck it up and study

They'd be a poor counselor then. It's good to talk to someone and just let things off your chest. You're far from the only student who has those thoughts/feels that way (I do as well).

Reactions: 1 users
It's unfortunate but certainly a reality that many medical students suffer from anxiety and depression. You're not alone! And there are resources to help. Medical school is supposed to be hard, but that doesnt mean you have to live with mental health concerns. I hope you seek some guidance OP; this is not an issue of your work ethic.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's worth giving counseling a try. I had a positive experience when I was going through a rough time in my life. It was really beneficial to simply sit down with someone I didn't know and just let everything out without fear of judgement.

Signs of depression (it's not merely having one, but a mix of these):

• Trouble concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
  • Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and helplessness
  • Pessimism and hopelessness
  • Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or sleeping too much
  • Irritability
  • Restlessness
  • Loss of interest in things once pleasurable, including sex
  • Overeating, or appetite loss
  • Digestive problems that don't get better, even with treatment
  • Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings
  • Suicidal thoughts or attempts
I hate to be blunt, but to think that a counselor will tell you to "suck it up and do X" is a caricature. Please lose that.

I've had at least five episodes of acute depression in my adult life that made me seek counseling. Two of those episodes were bad enough to require anti-depressants.

Counseling works
Medication works
Other things work, like mindfulness techniques, and exercise.

So go see the counselor.

Reactions: 8 users
Signs of depression (it's not merely having one, but a mix of these):

• Trouble concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
  • Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and helplessness
  • Pessimism and hopelessness
  • Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or sleeping too much
  • Irritability
  • Restlessness
  • Loss of interest in things once pleasurable, including sex
  • Overeating, or appetite loss
  • Digestive problems that don't get better, even with treatment
  • Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings
  • Suicidal thoughts or attempts
I hate to be blunt, but to think that a counselor will tell you to "suck it up and do X" is a caricature. Please lose that.

I've had at least five episodes of acute depression in my adult life that made me seek counseling. Two of those episodes were bad enough to require anti-depressants.

Counseling works
Medication works
Other things work, like mindfulness techniques, and exercise.

So go see the counselor.

Will do asap, I am extremely confused because it's not like I hate life or want to commit suicide its just that I hate the state that its in now.
Hopefully the appointment clears things up.

Will do asap, I am extremely confused because it's not like I hate life or want to commit suicide its just that I hate the state that its in now.
Hopefully the appointment clears things up.
I don't know if you've had psych courses yet, but depression is like lupus, one of those "diagnosed when you have x out y symptoms" diseases.

OP for what it's worth, I've struggled on and off with depression pretty much my entire life and it took me a while to realize it because I don't have what most would think of as "typical symptoms". I've never been suicidal, etc. But I have had the exact same thing happen to me with studying, and for me it is usually accompanied by negative thoughts and the more I don't study the worse I feel.

You aren't the only one who has experienced this, and for me when it happens the only way to get myself to study is to change my headspace somehow. Sometimes a walk or other physical exercise helps, a call with a friend, etc..but honestly for me most of the time it requires me going to sleep and then waking up at 330 in the morning to study with a fresh mind. Sleeping gets me out of the negative headspace 99% of the time

As you probably thought when you red that, going to sleep and waking up at 330 to study, while somewhat effective, is a horrible coping mechanism.

I went to my school counseling center and they helped a lot, since this post is getting kind of long I won't go into details but if you are interested feel free to PM me.

Also, I think the biggest thing here is that you mentioned you were thinking about going to the school counselor, and since you know you the best, I think you should listen to your instincts. If it ends up not being helpful, no big deal try something else (there are some great mindfulness apps out there)

Reactions: 2 users
OP for what it's worth, I've struggled on and off with depression pretty much my entire life and it took me a while to realize it because I don't have what most would think of as "typical symptoms". I've never been suicidal, etc. But I have had the exact same thing happen to me with studying, and for me it is usually accompanied by negative thoughts and the more I don't study the worse I feel.

You aren't the only one who has experienced this, and for me when it happens the only way to get myself to study is to change my headspace somehow. Sometimes a walk or other physical exercise helps, a call with a friend, etc..but honestly for me most of the time it requires me going to sleep and then waking up at 330 in the morning to study with a fresh mind. Sleeping gets me out of the negative headspace 99% of the time

As you probably thought when you red that, going to sleep and waking up at 330 to study, while somewhat effective, is a horrible coping mechanism.

I went to my school counseling center and they helped a lot, since this post is getting kind of long I won't go into details but if you are interested feel free to PM me.

Also, I think the biggest thing here is that you mentioned you were thinking about going to the school counselor, and since you know you the best, I think you should listen to your instincts. If it ends up not being helpful, no big deal try something else (there are some great mindfulness apps out there)

I made an appointment with the counselor tomorrow, ill pm you soon, I have my doubts she will offer us anything useful based on her presentations.
If it means putting my life thru that kind of torture of waking up at 3am Ill be the happiest to leave this program.

I made an appointment with the counselor tomorrow, ill pm you soon, I have my doubts she will offer us anything useful based on her presentations.
If it means putting my life thru that kind of torture of waking up at 3am Ill be the happiest to leave this program.
Try to be open minded about it. She might have something for you that you don't expect. Just make sure you make the most of the opportunity (counseling and otherwise). It may indeed be time for you to leave the program, but that needs to be a well thought out decision. Give yourself the opportunity to make the best one you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
11 lectures?! I’d be overwhelmed and exhausted too. But don’t worry, it all gets better :). Probably. Who knows. Seek some counseling, I don’t think you are depressed though, I think you feel overwhelmed and don’t want to put in the work to study those 11 lectures.

Just food for though.

11 lectures?! I’d be overwhelmed and exhausted too. But don’t worry, it all gets better :). Probably. Who knows. Seek some counseling, I don’t think you are depressed though, I think you feel overwhelmed and don’t want to put in the work to study those 11 lectures.

Just food for though.
11 lectures is childs play. More like 40 by second year. OP needs to address this.

11 lectures is childs play. More like 40 by second year. OP needs to address this.

Our lectures are divided into subunits, so each lecture is 3 days worth of material.
for example lecture 6 was dna replication, translation, and transcription etc covered on Monday Tuesday and Thursday.
If youre looking for the # powerpoints, it was about 32 powerpoint slide presentations .
Nevertheless, I just didnt want to study it.

Damn that’s a decent amount. Always good to study little by little :)
I am being slightly facetious, but the point remains. The lectures get longer and more frequent by second year. OP has to start figuring this out now, so when the crap storm really hits, he will be ready.

I am being slightly facetious, but the point remains. The lectures get longer and more frequent by second year. OP has to start figuring this out now, so when the crap storm really hits, he will be ready.
Ah thought you were in your first year, I was gonna say. We haven’t hit that insane workload yet lol.

I met with my counselor and she told me that shes surprised I want to be a doctor and cant find motivation to study, she said I need to study and do really well to get a residency and said students who dont do well usually dont pass boards. She gave me an excel sheet for a schedule and then pretty much sent me on my way. I am starting to think I just picked a bad school to go to.

What made you want to go into medicine to begin with? Perhaps it would be helpful to reflect on that to regain some motivation.

If it is just not there anymore or you went into medicine for the wrong reasons, I guess it is better to cut your losses now rather than in 2nd/3rd/4th year with a metric **** ton of debt.

What made you want to go into medicine to begin with? Perhaps it would be helpful to reflect on that to regain some motivation.

If it is just not there anymore or you went into medicine for the wrong reasons, I guess it is better to cut your losses now rather than in 2nd/3rd/4th year with a metric **** ton of debt.

Believe me Im working every day to find a way to tell my father I call it quits in medicine Im going back to engineering (and its not like engineering is an unrespectable profession either). I think medicine was a choice by family pressure but also that I do enjoy seeing what doctors do, I just dont think I have the patience, to get through 7 + years of training anymore.

sound like acute stress due to upcoming exam, nothing unusual. I hate study as much as you do (talk about OMM), but you get to do what you need to do.

Believe me Im working every day to find a way to tell my father I call it quits in medicine Im going back to engineering (and its not like engineering is an unrespectable profession either). I think medicine was a choice by family pressure but also that I do enjoy seeing what doctors do, I just dont think I have the patience, to get through 7 + years of training anymore.
That takes some balls to admit. Best of luck to you letting your family know! I am sure you will do just fine in whatever you pursue :)