Has anyone with a dismissed/expunged misdemeanor get into dental school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by dentalguy23, 09.29.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. dentalguy23

dentalguy23 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Has anyone with a misdemeanor get into dental school? Or know someone who has successfully gotten into a program with an expunged/dismissed misdemeanor?

5 years ago I got a Class A misdemeanor for selling pirated copies of video games on Craigslist. Since my record is dismissed/expunged, which is the same in California, I was wondering if anyone has ever gotten into dental school with a misdemeanor or knows someone who actually disclosed the fact that they did and was still able to get in. Or did not disclose that they have it? Please help me out. Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. dentalguy23

Pre-Dental
    If you're not comfortable sharing it here please send me a private message. It would really help a lot thanks.

4. driftmanji

driftmanji 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I haven't quite got in yet, but I have received a few interview invites this cycle with a misdemeanor on my record. I also know someone at UMich right now with a record as well. Feel free to PM me.

Being open and honest about the situation is always the best thing to do in my experiences. Everyone makes mistakes at some point in their life. How you come back from them and grow as an individual is most important.

Rekker and dentalguy23 like this.
  5. cacajuate

cacajuate 2+ Year Member

If its expunged, its not on your record. Don't think you would even have to say anything about it.

6. dentalguy23

Pre-Dental
    Just to be safe, I am planning on disclosing it. I heard it still shows up as dismissed during a background check. I just wanted to know if people actually made it to the program regardless of the fact that they have a dismissed/expunged misdemeanor.

Plus, I got this from the UCLA website:

I obtained an expungement pursuant to Penal Code section 1203.4 for an offense, why is it still on my record?

Live Scan fingerprinting reports all arrests and offenses (Misdemeanors and Felonies) regardless of how long ago the conviction was committed or if the conviction has been expunged, sealed or dismissed. An expungement or record being sealed does not obliterate the conviction. It merely frees the convicted person from certain "penalties and disabilities" of a criminal or like nature.

7. cacajuate

cacajuate 2+ Year Member

8. dentalguy23

Pre-Dental
  9. I want to go to there

I want to go to there

Pre-Dental
  10. joiedevivre86

joiedevivre86

Dental Student
    I wish I could give you the answer you really want, but instead see what Christine McCall says regarding expungement in California (I know you said you were planning on disclosing it anyway, just interesting): http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/i...en-property-wit-460417.html?ref=result__title. It seems there are a bunch of forums about this on the internet in general and SDN, if the right person doesn't come here and answer your thread.

Live scan fingerprinting is not done for admission to dental school, but I'm not sure it couldn't be done later down the line. It's usually for government, finance, or other high security jobs. I believe the Certiphi background check is a "Seven Year County Criminal" check.

Edit: I just searched around and found out you already knew what I posted, oops. I'd say biggest hurdles will be with licensing, not getting in (if issues at all). Have you tried calling any schools and asking?

Last edited: 06.12.15
  11. irishmom

irishmom 5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Incorrect. It will stil show up on the background check that the university pulls after you are admitted. As me how I know...fortunately they still kept my acceptance...ask @shrister what happens if they don't let you keep the acceptance...good luck.

12. dentalguy23

Pre-Dental
    I also called certiphi, they said that expunged misdemeanors does not show up on background check. I'm thinking about only applying to the schools sponsored by certiphi so I don't have to disclose it at all. I also had a background check for my job a while back and nothing showed up, but it was a different company, not certiphi. I wonder if there's any difference with both companies on how they conduct a background check.

13. gatormichigan

gatormichigan 7+ Year Member

I would be honest. I know someone that didnt disclose and got their acceptance taken away.

14. irishmom

irishmom 5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    My school used Certiphi...just sayin'. Be Honest. If you aren't ad they find out you can have your accaptance taken away. It is a misdemenor, how bad could it be. If it does't get you ow it just may get you when you apply for your license. DO not take that chance with your future.

About the ads