Has anyone with a dismissed/expunged misdemeanor get into dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalguy23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone with a misdemeanor get into dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're not comfortable sharing it here please send me a private message. It would really help a lot thanks.

I haven't quite got in yet, but I have received a few interview invites this cycle with a misdemeanor on my record. I also know someone at UMich right now with a record as well. Feel free to PM me.

Being open and honest about the situation is always the best thing to do in my experiences. Everyone makes mistakes at some point in their life. How you come back from them and grow as an individual is most important.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If its expunged, its not on your record. Don't think you would even have to say anything about it.

If its expunged, its not on your record. Don't think you would even have to say anything about it.
Just to be safe, I am planning on disclosing it. I heard it still shows up as dismissed during a background check. I just wanted to know if people actually made it to the program regardless of the fact that they have a dismissed/expunged misdemeanor.

Last edited:
I wish I could give you the answer you really want, but instead see what Christine McCall says regarding expungement in California (I know you said you were planning on disclosing it anyway, just interesting): http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/i...en-property-wit-460417.html?ref=result__title. It seems there are a bunch of forums about this on the internet in general and SDN, if the right person doesn't come here and answer your thread.

Live scan fingerprinting is not done for admission to dental school, but I'm not sure it couldn't be done later down the line. It's usually for government, finance, or other high security jobs. I believe the Certiphi background check is a "Seven Year County Criminal" check.

Edit: I just searched around and found out you already knew what I posted, oops. I'd say biggest hurdles will be with licensing, not getting in (if issues at all). Have you tried calling any schools and asking?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Incorrect. It will stil show up on the background check that the university pulls after you are admitted. As me how I know...fortunately they still kept my acceptance...ask @shrister what happens if they don't let you keep the acceptance...good luck.

I also called certiphi, they said that expunged misdemeanors does not show up on background check.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about only applying to the schools sponsored by certiphi

My school used Certiphi...just sayin'. Be Honest. If you aren't ad they find out you can have your accaptance taken away. It is a misdemenor, how bad could it be. If it does't get you ow it just may get you when you apply for your license. DO not take that chance with your future.

My school used Certiphi...just sayin'. Be Honest. If you aren't ad they find out you can have your accaptance taken away. It is a misdemenor, how bad could it be. If it does't get you ow it just may get you when you apply for your license. DO not take that chance with your future.
Would you
I have a dismmised possesion ticket in process of expungement . I want to apply to dental schools in June. Would you be willing to share your experience with me ? I am really scared , I don't know if I should disclose or not. Thank you

Would you

I have a dismmised possesion ticket in process of expungement . I want to apply to dental schools in June. Would you be willing to share your experience with me ? I am really scared , I don't know if I should disclose or not. Thank you
I just got accepted with two underage drinking tickets. They were four years ago tho, so idk if that played a role. I did get asked by all my interviewers about them though. Good luck!

Would you

I went ahead and disclosed my misdemeanor in my application. I was never asked about it during any of my interviews and I got accepted into a school my first try.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm just going to give my two cents for anyone else that may have a question similar to this. I lived with a criminal justice major for awhile and I learned a few things that I never asked to, but here they are anyway.
First of all, dismissed and expunged are obviously quite a bit different. Just because something was dismissed does not mean it is not on your record, it just means that you were never actually convicted. If you were ever convicted, depending on the state, you probably can only hope to have the record sealed (in other words, there will still be a physical copy, but I don't believe the conviction stays on your record...unsure about arrest record). If something is expunged, even the hard copy is destroyed as well as any electronic copies being erased, so there would be nothing to show up on your record. In other words, a background check would never be an issue for someone that had a charge expunged.

tldr;
-lived with criminal justice major that taught me a few things
-Dismissed = you were not convicted, so no record will show EXCEPT your arrest record which is still public record
-Expunged = not convicted, no arrest record, physical copies of record are destroyed as well therefore nothing exists to show up on a background check any longer
-Sealed(?) = convicted, physical copy remains but is actually sealed. unsure if anything would show on background check

DISCLAIMER: This post was purely informative and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. I am not advising anyone use this information as a reason to lie about their past. Honesty is the best policy. :)

I have written this before. Expunged simply means the record is off the books on the government level. The private background check agencies do not do a great job updating their systems, so even though you have paid a lawyer and the courts to expunge your record, it can still linger in cyber space, as well as your record of arrest. That is why you do not want to ever be "in the system". Not easy to get out. Disclose.
There are plenty of convicted dentists out there who are still practicing with a bonafide license. I'm talking felony convictions with time served.

I haven't quite got in yet, but I have received a few interview invites this cycle with a misdemeanor on my record. I also know someone at UMich right now with a record as well. Feel free to PM me.

Being open and honest about the situation is always the best thing to do in my experiences. Everyone makes mistakes at some point in their life. How you come back from them and grow as an individual is most important.
Hi! I am applying this cycle with a similar situation. I was charged with a misdemeanor last year, what do you think my chances are? Of course I am planning to disclose this in the application, however, I want to know if having a misdemeanor will permanently bar me from dental school

I applied this cycle and had a minor of consumption that I plead guilty to, and a minor of possession that was dismissed. When writing anything for secondaries I paid attention to the language - most asked about just the guilty plea so I disclosed that one. I think there were 1 or 2 that I had to disclose the dismissed one as well because of the plea deal I made. I made sure to emphasize what I learned and showed that I didn’t make the same mistake again.

It didn’t seem to affect my application, though I felt like it was a strong application. I was accepted to 9 schools and had 11 interviews. Only 2 of the interviewers asked about my misdemeanor.

Disclose and don’t sweat. If you have a strong application aside from your misdemeanor you should be in good shape.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank
I applied this cycle and had a minor of consumption that I plead guilty to, and a minor of possession that was dismissed. When writing anything for secondaries I paid attention to the language - most asked about just the guilty plea so I disclosed that one. I think there were 1 or 2 that I had to disclose the dismissed one as well because of the plea deal I made. I made sure to emphasize what I learned and showed that I didn’t make the same mistake again.

It didn’t seem to affect my application, though I felt like it was a strong application. I was accepted to 9 schools and had 11 interviews. Only 2 of the interviewers asked about my misdemeanor.

Disclose and don’t sweat. If you have a strong application aside from your misdemeanor you should be in good shape.
thank you so much! This definitely relieved my stress and I’ll make sure to make my application as strong as I can.