Has Anyone's 3 Year HPSP Paid For 4 Years of Tuition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

customx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A couple of people at my school who are on a 3 year Navy HPSP have apparently gotten the Navy to pay for all 4 years of tuition. How common is this with other branches? Has anyone ever heard of the Army paying for all 4 years when on a 3 year scholarship? I'm on a 3 year but never took the $20k bonus, which would have added an additional year to my commitment.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
A couple of people at my school who are on a 3 year Navy HPSP have apparently gotten the Navy to pay for all 4 years of tuition. How common is this with other branches? Has anyone ever heard of the Army paying for all 4 years when on a 3 year scholarship? I'm on a 3 year but never took the $20k bonus, which would have added an additional year to my commitment.
Not in the AF. Have NO clue how they ran that in the Navy.

Now that's a story I never heard
I did hear that Navy was giving out scholarships to 1st year dental student and retro-paid their tuition for first semester ( and I think the students need to ask financial office to take back the loan; which can be done pretty easily in fact). But I believe those were still 4 year commitments.

But yeah first hand account for AF. no way

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that's a story I never heard
I did hear that Navy was giving out scholarships to 1st year dental student and retro-paid their tuition for first semester ( and I think the students need to ask financial office to take back the loan; which can be done pretty easily in fact). But I believe those were still 4 year commitments.

But yeah first hand account for AF. no way

From both of my sources (recruiter and a student who got the 3-year to pay for 4-years), you only owe back 3 years unless you accept the $20K bonus, then it goes up to 4-year repayment time.

Any updates on this thead? Was selected for Navy 3 year early July but haven't gotten final select or commissioning date

Any updates on this thead? Was selected for Navy 3 year early July but haven't gotten final select or commissioning date
The OP is mistaken or misheard what his classmates were saying. You don’t accept the 3 year HPSP and then get 4 years of school tuition paid for. It’s 3 years tuition for 3 years of service or 3 years plus 20K bonus for 4 years of service.

Edit: Or as said above, if 4 years are paid for your serve back then turns to 4.

Reactions: 1 users
The OP is mistaken or misheard what his classmates were saying. You don’t accept the 3 year HPSP and then get 4 years of school tuition paid for. It’s 3 years tuition for 3 years of service or 3 years plus 20K bonus for 4 years of service.

Edit: Or as said above, if 4 years are paid for your serve back then turns to 4.

So the Navy really does things differently from the AF and Army. Their 3-year scholarship is awarded to the same pre-dents applying for the 4-year because the 3 actually does pay for all 4 years of dental school. They just have to wait until the new fiscal year starts in October to send the payment to the school and begin your monthly living stipend. 4-years get their school paid and begin living stipend upon the first week of school. So that’s why D1’s can’t apply for the 3-year. If you accept the 3-year and don’t take the bonus, then you only pay back 3 years regardless of the fact that it ended up paying for 4.

Army and AF have the traditional 3-year scholarships. AF gives out the most of these, around 50 each year. Army is more limited in these, this year I heard they were only selecting 10.

AF gives out very limited 2-years as well, less than 10 from what I’ve heard. However, you are still required to pay back a minimum 3 years.

Your best chances are to apply from the beginning with the Army and Navy 4-year HPSP.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Their 3-year scholarship is awarded to the same pre-dents applying for the 4-year because the 3 actually does pay for all 4 years of dental school.
There’s absolutely no way this is correct. Do not expect anything from the military without some catch. Ever. Why would the Navy pay for a year of your school and not expect anything in return? Are they doing it out of the kindness of their heart? I was obligated to sign a counseling chit for a Sailor because he lost a $30 fleece top from his issued gear. I hated having to do that. And you expect upwards of $100,000 for free?!

If what you’re saying was true, only an idiot would apply for the 4 year scholarship when they get the exact same financial benefit as the 3 year. Why would you obligate yourself for another year unnecessarily? Even if you wanted to stay in, that would mean you’d be eligible for a retention bonus a year sooner.

If this is what your recruiter is telling you, it’s time to find a new recruiter.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
There’s absolutely no way this is correct. Do not expect anything from the military without some catch. Ever. Why would the Navy pay for a year of your school and not expect anything in return? Are they doing it out of the kindness of their heart? I was obligated to sign a counseling chit for a Sailor because he lost a $30 fleece top from his issued gear. I hated having to do that. And you expect upwards of $100,000 for free?!

If what you’re saying was true, only an idiot would apply for the 4 year scholarship when they get the exact same financial benefit as the 3 year. Why would you obligate yourself for another year unnecessarily? Even if you wanted to stay in, that would mean you’d be eligible for a retention bonus a year sooner.

If this is what your recruiter is telling you, it’s time to find a new recruiter.

Big Hoss
Yeahhhhhh. No way this is correct

some recruiters are about as honest as used car salesmen.

So the Navy really does things differently from the AF and Army. Their 3-year scholarship is awarded to the same pre-dents applying for the 4-year because the 3 actually does pay for all 4 years of dental school. They just have to wait until the new fiscal year starts in October to send the payment to the school and begin your monthly living stipend. 4-years get their school paid and begin living stipend upon the first week of school. So that’s why D1’s can’t apply for the 3-year. If you accept the 3-year and don’t take the bonus, then you only pay back 3 years regardless of the fact that it ended up paying for 4.

I’m kind of confused at what you are even saying. Yes, students who are going into dental school and apply for the 4 year HPSP may not be awarded it due to limited numbers or qualifications. These students can then defer to 3.5 year or even the 3 year. But that means you have to pay for that first semester or first year. You still have the option of receiving the $20K stipend, which would then bump your serve back to 4 years regardless of your HPSP tuition coverage. It sounds like someone is telling you that in the Navy the 3 year HPSP doesn’t start during your 2nd year, but the new fiscal year during your first year. Sure, that’s when the new budget is approved, but they won’t start paying for your tuition until 2nd semester your first year (3.5 HPSP) or 2nd year (3 HPSP). 4 year HPSP have their first semester tuition paid for with the prior years budget, but just because a new fiscal year starts in October, doesn’t mean the government rushes to cover your first semester tuition. They just allocate for the next semester when your contract starts.

When you get selected for scholarship, you are contacted by email from a source other than your recruiter?

I’m kind of confused at what you are even saying. Yes, students who are going into dental school and apply for the 4 year HPSP may not be awarded it due to limited numbers or qualifications. These students can then defer to 3.5 year or even the 3 year. But that means you have to pay for that first semester or first year. You still have the option of receiving the $20K stipend, which would then bump your serve back to 4 years regardless of your HPSP tuition coverage. It sounds like someone is telling you that in the Navy the 3 year HPSP doesn’t start during your 2nd year, but the new fiscal year during your first year. Sure, that’s when the new budget is approved, but they won’t start paying for your tuition until 2nd semester your first year (3.5 HPSP) or 2nd year (3 HPSP). 4 year HPSP have their first semester tuition paid for with the prior years budget, but just because a new fiscal year starts in October, doesn’t mean the government rushes to cover your first semester tuition. They just allocate for the next semester when your contract starts.

Still not true. I know a couple people at my school who were given the 3-year Navy HPSP and all 4 years including the 1st quarter of D1 year’s tuition was paid for. I’m sure this is why they issue the 3-year HPSP to pre-dental applicants and not D1’s, because they intend to cover the four years. All the applicant loses in receiving the 3-year is however many months of living stipend he missed since classes started until October. There is no backpay for this. I still don’t understand why the Navy does it this way, neither does my recruiter, but that’s why applying to the Navy pre-dental was the best deal with the highest chances of getting all of school paid for. I had a D1 classmate try really hard with his recruiter to apply for the Navy 3-year, and still received a shove back when submitting his packet that they would not even consider it. So do a little more research. This is just the way it’s done now in the Navy.

I’m sure this is why they issue the 3-year HPSP to pre-dental applicants and not D1’s, because they intend to cover the four years. All the applicant loses in receiving the 3-year is however many months of living stipend he missed since classes started until October. There is no backpay for this.
You are saying it like the Navy wants to do you a favor! Why would the Navy not just award these 3 year HPSP recipients the 4 year scholarship if they are paying for 4 years of school. I was Navy and had the 3.5 awarded to me as a pre-dent and they did not pay for 4 years. This is speculation, but there is a chance that if the Navy found a budget to pay for 4 years, and then do so, the recipient will then just have to serve back the extra year. I know you said that isn’t the case, but if you are basing this off a recruiter’s word, then you guys might be in for an unpleasant surprise. The advice you are getting on this forum is from past and present military members who were awarded the HPSP and served after. It was never done the way you are saying. Things can change. But if your knowledge is from what people and a recruiter are telling you, I suggest you do a little more research as well. And read the contact VERY carefully.

You are saying it like the Navy wants to do you a favor! Why would the Navy not just award these 3 year HPSP recipients the 4 year scholarship if they are paying for 4 years of school. I was Navy and had the 3.5 awarded to me as a pre-dent and they did not pay for 4 years. This is speculation, but there is a chance that if the Navy found a budget to pay for 4 years, and then do so, the recipient will then just have to serve back the extra year. I know you said that isn’t the case, but if you are basing this off a recruiter’s word, then you guys might be in for an unpleasant surprise. The advice you are getting on this forum is from past and present military members who were awarded the HPSP and served after. It was never done the way you are saying. Things can change. But if your knowledge is from what people and a recruiter are telling you, I suggest you do a little more research as well. And read the contact VERY carefully.
my contract had a mistake on it when i was commissioning. I immediately had them fix it. I think it said 3yr/3 yr payback or 3 years with a 4 yr payback. I was originally selected for a 4 year HPSP thankfully which is what it should have said. I have a 4 year scholarship currently.

@pinwheeels Recruiters dont know everything about HPSP and Ive found they will say/do anything so that you sign up.

Reactions: 1 user
because they intend to cover the four years.
If they intended it to cover the four years, why did they not just offer a 4 year scholarship in the first place? I assure you, the military will NEVER give you “free” money. One other thing to think about here, the people who were determined to be not as qualified for a 4 year scholarship are then “rewarded” with a better scholarship deal?
All the applicant loses in receiving the 3-year is however many months of living stipend he missed since classes started until October.
My school started mid-September. So, the only difference according to you was that 2-3 weeks of housing allowance I got? Wow, I got screwed!

Big Hoss

Found someone that got the 3-year Navy HPSP. If they accept the signing bonus, they obviously serve back 4 years. If they accept receiving tuition and monthly stipend when the new fiscal year starts in October, even though it's called a "3yr" on the contract, they still serve back 4 years. They would have to decline tuition for the 1st year and start receiving the 3yr when D2 classes start to make it a true 3yr payback. Sorry for all the confusion!

So that's gotta be why Navy doesn't allow D1's to apply for the 3yr, since it's still really a 4yr scholarship with 4yr payback. They need as many students as they can keep for that extra year of active duty.