has application process given you insight?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dragonmate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else found that this application process forces you to reevaluate your motivations for medicine? As I'm writing about myself in the never-ending secondaries, I become afraid that maybe I'm too young/naive to go into medicine and that med schools will ultimately come to the same conclusion. I feel like I have nothing unique/substantial to say about myself anymore. Everything I say sounds so cliche. I came to my career decision by no extraordinary means...I evaluated my options and decided that medicine is my best fit. Is there something wrong with me? Maybe medicine isn't for me. Does anyone else feel this way?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a very little fish in a very big pond.

prana_md said:
I'm a very little fish in a very big pond.
please elaborate

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder what might be best for you if you don’t know it?

Tell us about you more, and I will help you re-evaluate yourself to decide if medicine is best for you or not.

How about answering some questions?

Helping others how does that sound?
Um,… why did you think about it anyway?

If I tell ya, that whatever process you are going trough not going to take you anywhere--- what you feel when you read that sentence???

Oh!! God!!! I just realized that I am trapped… but could you try to answer that?

dragonmate said:
I came to my career decision by no extraordinary means...I evaluated my options and decided that medicine is my best fit. Is there something wrong with me? Maybe medicine isn't for me. Does anyone else feel this way?

I hear quite frequently that this is exactly what adcoms want to see. It shows logic and controlled reasoning, rather than just some abstract "drive/gut feeling/miraculous epiphany". They'll know you actually *do* want to be a doc, and that it is not some passing love-affair with medicine.

JustR said:
I wonder what might be best for you if you don’t know it?

Tell us about you more, and I will help you re-evaluate yourself to decide if medicine is best for you or not.

How about answering some questions?

Helping others how does that sound?
Um,… why did you think about it anyway?

If I tell ya, that whatever process you are going trough not going to take you anywhere--- what you feel when you read that sentence???

Oh!! God!!! I just realized that I am trapped… but could you try to answer that?
Well...I love to help others, but that's part of the problem. There are so many other professions out there that will fulfill the same purpose. Why not PA? nursing? working for a nonprofit organization to help raise money for orphans, etc? These sure don't take nearly as much work as an MD.
I grew up with my grandparents being docs, and I have grown to love medicine from a very young age. I find the human body very fascinating.
As far as this process..it'll definetely take me somewhere. Even if I don't get into med school, it's still a tremendous learning experience and it will help me decide what I want to do next. But I very much want to go to med school. I would be crushed if I didn't get accepted.

Bluntman
I loved how you phrased it!!!! That’s maybe it!!!

dragonmate said:
Well...I love to help others, but that's part of the problem. There are so many other professions out there that will fulfill the same purpose. Why not PA? nursing? working for a nonprofit organization to help raise money for orphans, etc? These sure don't take nearly as much work as an MD.
I grew up with my grandparents being docs, and I have grown to love medicine from a very young age. I find the human body very fascinating.
As far as this process..it'll definetely take me somewhere. Even if I don't get into med school, it's still a tremendous learning experience and it will help me decide what I want to do next. But I very much want to go to med school. I would be crushed if I didn't get accepted.

I can imagine how you go through phages and not liking the whole admission process because it is bit lengthy… But sometimes, how does it feel when you imagine yourself to be a doctor and the things you want to do and accomplish?

JustR said:
I can imagine how you go through phages and not liking the whole admission process because it is bit lengthy… But sometimes, how does it feel when you imagine yourself to be a doctor and the things you want to do and accomplish?
I feel like I would never be completely satisfied with myself if I wasn't a physician.

There it is your Insight!!!!! from the application process!!!

I understand what you are getting at, but I feel a little differently. I am questioning if I want to put myself through all this. I have sort of lost a lot of friends because of my medical aspirations. They get this inferiority complex when I start talking about how I want to become an oncologist or whatever. I too did not have any unique reason for going into medicine. I just don't know.....hopefully this would all pass because I am just frustrated right now.

dragonmate said:
Has anyone else found that this application process forces you to reevaluate your motivations for medicine? As I'm writing about myself in the never-ending secondaries, I become afraid that maybe I'm too young/naive to go into medicine and that med schools will ultimately come to the same conclusion. I feel like I have nothing unique/substantial to say about myself anymore. Everything I say sounds so cliche. I came to my career decision by no extraordinary means...I evaluated my options and decided that medicine is my best fit. Is there something wrong with me? Maybe medicine isn't for me. Does anyone else feel this way?

That is very close to my sentiments. I am dreading the interviews (if any) and the questions regarding my motivations and my contribution to medicine. My reasons are very simplistic and not very unique. I arrived at the decision in a similar manner as you but at this point I can not consider myself doing anything else. Even a rejection It is an intimidating process but hang in there (another cliche).

IgweEmeka said:
I understand what you are getting at, but I feel a little differently. I am questioning if I want to put myself through all this. I have sort of lost a lot of friends because of my medical aspirations. They get this inferiority complex when I start talking about how I want to become an oncologist or whatever. I too did not have any unique reason for going into medicine. I just don't know.....hopefully this would all pass because I am just frustrated right now.
I know this sounds like old news, but it has some truth to it: your friends' inferiority complexes have nothing to do with you. They obviously are not satisfied with themselves, and they don't need you to point it out. You are only in control of your actions, not others' feelings/actions. Please do not give up on your dreams because others are intimidated. You will make plenty of friends in med school! :thumbup:

RayhanS1282 said:
That is very close to my sentiments. I am dreading the interviews (if any) and the questions regarding my motivations and my contribution to medicine. My reasons are very simplistic and not very unique. I arrived at the decision in a similar manner as you but at this point I can not consider myself doing anything else. Even a rejection It is an intimidating process but hang in there (another cliche).
Thanks Rayhan. You too. It is very frustrating. Eventually, you run out of things to say. Yesterday, I began a brainstorming process. I just listed a few significant EC's and started writing about how they influenced me, what I learned, what is the point of writing about it, etc. The sentences don't even make sense, but I feel like I finally have scraps to work with. maybe you should do the same thing to prepare for your interviews! :luck:

dragonmate said:
Thanks Rayhan. You too. It is very frustrating. Eventually, you run out of things to say. Yesterday, I began a brainstorming process. I just listed a few significant EC's and started writing about how they influenced me, what I learned, what is the point of writing about it, etc. The sentences don't even make sense, but I feel like I finally have scraps to work with. maybe you should do the same thing to prepare for your interviews! :luck:

I'll try that...hopefully I'll be lucky enough to have scraps. Why can't Adcoms accept invaluable, indescribeable, personal value for ECs and let that horse die?

RayhanS1282 said:
I'll try that...hopefully I'll be lucky enough to have scraps. Why can't Adcoms accept invaluable, indescribeable, personal value for ECs and let that horse die?
hehe. I wish! :rolleyes:

IgweEmeka said:

I think it's completely normal to second-guess yourself throughout this entire process. You could even say it's somewhat irresponsible to NOT consider these things. I have had similar thoughts for a long time now. I am a Physician Assistant, and love my job. But something is still missing. I love diagnosing and treating patients and get great satisfaction from my job. But there are still limits to what I do (legally). I crave the extra knowledge and training that being a physician would allow. I have been debating for a long time about whether or not to apply to med school. The length of training is extensive, but what else would you do for the 7+ years if you didn't get in??? And to reassure you...most of us do not have "unique reasons" for applying. We all share similar qualities which make us want to help people, make us good students and make us want to be physicians. I think you just have to carefully consider these questions you're asking yourself, and have a firm answer in your mind as to why you want to be a physician...believe me, the interviewers will want to know. It doesn't have to be anything special, it just has to be personal.

dragonmate said:

I agree with georgiapeachmd. The application process and the seemingly never-ending wait almost forces applicants to re-evaluate themselves. I think us pre-meds are conditioned to think that we're supposed to have extraordinary drive, super-unique experiences, and a bunch of other stuff in order to get accepted or to be a good physician. In reality, I don't think any of that matters as long as you have the desire to help others and are passionate about medicine. Having said that, I'm certainly glad to know that I'm not alone in thinking this way. I'm a re-applicant and I still have doubts about medicine... I sincerely don't know what I'd do if I don't get in this time.

i also agree with georgiapeachmd. yes the process is long, grueling, and often frustrating. however, choosing to become a doctor is something you really have to think about for yourself, no one can really answer this but you. if you feel naive about things, would you be comfortable taking a year off to solidify your desires? this is a big committment (obviously) and acceptances (although we feel they should be) should not be too easy to come by. the process is made to challenge us by making sure we really know what we want/what we're getting into. if you do want to become a physician, sit down, think about it, think about everything you've done so far to test yourself, encourage yourself, introduce yourself to medicine, and your answer will come. be wary of presenting an answer you think is right, the adcoms will see through it. your answer doesn't need to be unique, but it has to be solid and honest. i know it's difficult, i've struggled as well, but i found my answer and now i can confidently talk about my motivations and reasons for pursuing medicine. i wish you the best!!