Has malpractice insurance affected your choice of specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Has malpractice insurance affected your choice of specialty?

• Yes ? It was a definite consideration when I selected a specialty.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Yes ? I decided to pursue a different specialty due in part to malpractice rates.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • No ? I knew I would be facing higher premiums, but chose this specialty anyway.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • No ? I chose this specialty without knowledge of specific malpractice rates.

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

keldog

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in your responses for an informal presentation I have to give at the end of this week on malpractice insurance. I'm asking that only 4th year med students reply (for the purposes of my presentation).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not so concerned about the malpractice premium rates as I am about the likelihood of being sued in certain specialties. On avg, most physicians will be sued at least once in their career, irrespective of how "competent" or careful they are. It is extremely stressful to be sued, you feel bad as your clinical skills are questioned, you risk losing your license and ability to practice medicine if there was gross malpractice, and these cases can draw on for several years. Theoretically, they could go after your personal assests too, although historically, they have not been doing so.

Okay, so I know everyone's been looking- now I need you to be voting! I really would appreciate the input, and the larger the sample size, the more accurate my survey will be.

292 views and only 23 votes?
Come on, please vote.... Don't make me beg...