Has my dream of becoming a doctor been crushed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedhopefully

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished freshman year.

fall 2010
Gen Chemistry I C
Gen Biology I C
History D
Calculus I F

Spring 2011
Gen Chem II F
Gen Biology II D
Calculus I D
Physics F

Do I still got a chance at med school?:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Uh, was there a reason you got such terrible grades? If you had a really good reason for it and put in three years of excellent grades, you might still have a shot... But if this was what you were getting while actually trying, you're gonna have enough trouble graduating, let alone getting into medical school.

You are a really poor troll.

A good troll would write out a long detailed series of explanations and excuses for the poor grades.

Not to mention that your classes don't even make sense for what a freshman would take, or be allowed to take.

Members don't see this ad :)

fall 2010
Gen Chemistry I C
Gen Biology I C
History D
Calculus I F

Spring 2011
Gen Chem II F
Gen Biology II D
Calculus I D
Physics F

Hmmm..... Just Hmmm.......
Undergrad isn't that hard especially freshmen year. I you go to lecture and just listen and put in minimal effot to complete your assignments your almost guaranteed a C. You really have to try to get grades like these, (by try I mean purposely not go to class or do work at all). Sir you should be worried about continuing your undergrad, not getting into med school.

the proper question is "do i still have a chance at undergrad?"

Take some time off, when you're serious about school, your grades will improve. A lot of people have a rough start to college, especially in cases where you gotta suddenly know how to support yourself with a full time job and such..

You'll have to retake all D's and F's and don't expect a competitive gpa. Another things, start your EC's early.

I actually moved away from home and lived on campus. I must say that the transition has been very rough. I studied but not seriously. But do I truly have NO more chance at DO/MD ?

Assuming you 'are' serious...

Your course load is very heavy. Don't stack up on so much math and science in one semester, even if they're only 100- and 200-level they still require a large time commitment if you take into account lab reports, problem sets, etc.

Definitely consider tutoring, and check to see if your campus has any kind of academic development office if you feel your study skills aren't up to par.

You still have six more semesters, not including summer and winter sessions, to repair your GPA. From what I understand DO schools allow for grade replacement if you retake a course. But keep in mind that you need to figure out why you're doing so poorly, and fix it, or you'll never get your grades where you want them.

A good troll would write out a long detailed series of explanations and excuses for the poor grades. Though I suppose

Not to mention that your classes don't even make sense for what a freshman would take, or be allowed to take.

General Chemistry, Introductory Biology, Introductory Physics, and Calculus aren't freshman classes? Though I guess there'd be a college writing course, and some kind of freshman seminar in there...

Last edited:
picture.php

A good troll would write out a long detailed series of explanations and excuses for the poor grades.

Not true, my the fall semester of my freshman year was
Gen Bio + Lab
Gen. Chem + Lab
Calc III
Differential Equations
English

so what he had was a doable semester (and technically I already had credit for all of the basic sciences due to AP's )

Members don't see this ad :)
with those grades most schools would have dismissed you already?

That's not an unreasonable first year schedule. I probably wouldnt recommend it but people take that all the time.

As for the op, take some time off. Chillax. Come back, start over, and start acing. It'll be hard for md (but not impossible - but going to a 4.0ish from less than 1.0 is very hard) but you can do grade replacement for DO.

This isn't trolling, even if he's lying, which I don't see any reason to believe is the case. Trolling isn't just being ridiculous...it has to try to get a rise out of people and be funny to the people who recognize its trolling.

I wouldn’t say that..I just completed my freshmen year and I had the exact same classes first semester +some.
Second semester identical minus physics and cal, but I had cal 2 and some other classes to compensate for that..

Normally I'd post my obligatory link to the Stupid Questions thread, but I must first remark about that GPA: :eek:. And in mostly important pre-reqs: :eek:.
Seriously, I think you need to take a breath and slow down your courseload considerably. I would also retake all of the pre-reqs at some point.

You need to identify why this is happening. Partying too hard? Family problems? Taking on too much stuff outside of class? Not studying enough? These are all fixable problems. If you told me that you honestly tried your best but still failed miserably, only then would I say you have zero chance. The only issue that cannot be fixed with regards to improving your grades is stupidity. Good luck :thumbup:

I actually moved away from home and lived on campus. I must say that the transition has been very rough. I studied but not seriously. But do I truly have NO more chance at DO/MD ?

No. I'm sorry. I'm usually more optimistic. Theoretically you "could" retake all of the classes and have a shot at D.O., but there seems to be something fundamentally wrong to be getting such low grades.

Unfortunately for some people, it's just not in the cards. If you prove me wrong, retake them all and get A's, end up being successful and going to med school, then that's awesome. But if you cannot handle this course load (which sorry to whoever said above that this was a heavy course load...with the exception of physics...it isn't "heavy" at all. Almost every premed has this) I can't see how you will be able to do good in any upper level sciences, let alone medical school

Sorry. :(

No OP, you obviously didn't take your studies serious.

How are any of those classes not believable in a freshman schedule?

fall 2010
Gen Chemistry I C
Gen Biology I C
History D
Calculus I F

Spring 2011
Gen Chem II F
Gen Biology II D
Calculus I D
Physics F

Move on to something new. I hear law school is good choice now a days.

^ I told you!

I'm not convinced this guy is trolling, though.

He has to be trolling. I don't see how anyone could get a "D" in freshmen history without being stoned for the entire 15 weeks.

Why are there four of these threads on the front page again?

Because it's May and everyone is wetting themselves over their end-of-year grades.

Possibility of a troll here is strong, but I'll give it a go.

DO-wise...
The best chance you would have at med school from here is if you take off some time, get your **** together, and go back and start all over. Retake all of the classes as if you've never taken them before and do well. Thankfully, DO schools count the most recent re-take of a class when calculating your GPA, instead of including them both.

So technically, yes, you do have a chance (most likely at DO schools).

MD-wise...
If you have a major which requires around 124 hours to graduate (and considering the three classes you would have to retake), AND IF you made all A's from here on out, you still wouldn't be at a 3.4.

I wouldn't want to apply to MD schools with less than a 3.4.

DO is your best bet, IMO.

OP, if you aren't a troll, good luck.