Has ne1 applied without all Pre-Reqs and gotten accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tunaman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Iam a Junior hoping to apply this may when aadsas opens up the 09 cycle. I REALLY DONT WANT TO SIT AROUND A FULL YEAR BEFORE APPLYING. Due to taking some time off from school and not exactly knowing which major I wanted to pursue, I will be short Organic2 and Inorganic2 when applying (All other pre-reqs are fulfilled with straight A's). Some schools I spoke to told me to apply despite being short the 2 pre-reqs. My GPA is strong and I know the other concern is the DAT. I started the first pre-dental club in my school's 30 year history, which Iam the president of. I raise money and present lectures on dental hygiene at local elementary schools handing out samples of dental products. I have done over 150 shadowing hours at 3 different practices: General, Perio, and OMFS. I will complete the pre-reqs before I graduate though. If anyone has an acceptance story pertaining to my situation it would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Iam a Junior hoping to apply this may when aadsas opens up the 09 cycle. I REALLY DONT WANT TO SIT AROUND A FULL YEAR BEFORE APPLYING. Due to taking some time off from school and not exactly knowing which major I wanted to pursue, I will be short Organic2 and Inorganic2 when applying (All other pre-reqs are fulfilled with straight A's). Some schools I spoke to told me to apply despite being short the 2 pre-reqs. My GPA is strong and I know the other concern is the DAT. I started the first pre-dental club in my school's 30 year history, which Iam the president of. I raise money and present lectures on dental hygiene at local elementary schools handing out samples of dental products. I have done over 150 shadowing hours at 3 different practices: General, Perio, and OMFS. I will complete the pre-reqs before I graduate though. If anyone has an acceptance story pertaining to my situation it would be greatly appreciated.

I think you will have a good change without all the pre-reqs. It will be nice to take Orgo 2 before you take DAT, but you will be fine as long as you study on your own.

Many people apply and get accepted before completing the requirements, including myself, so I think you will be fine. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember, there is a section on your AADSAS where you list all of the courses that you plan on taking before entering dental school, so you will have a chance to show schools that even if you haven't yet completed all of the pre-reqs, you plan to before matriculation. Don't worry. If you feel like you are ready to apply, then do it.

I hadn't finished orgo 2 when I applied or before I took the DAT and did fine... got into 3 schools. I would for sure apply now.

I applied before taking anatomy which is a pre-req at my top choice, and I got in. One stipulation of keeping my acceptance is that I have to complete it by the end of this semester and get at least a C. You should be fine. Study really hard for the organic section of the DAT though.

I applied without any Physics and Organic Chem II and I got into multiple schools. My acceptances were just contingent on me passing those classes.

Thank you for giving me hope. I will go ahead and apply this coming up cycle, wish me luck. I have been passionate about the profession for the past 5 years and the dream is soon to become a reality(I hope). I will also have the UPenn Intro To Dentistry program under my belt when applying. I think my transcript will make it pretty clear which profession lies in my heart. Thanks again. Please post more stories if you have any.

so, does it mean that i can take pre-req's during my last year of undergraduate when applying for dental school? like physics and organic chem and i also heard that taking 1st year courses are looked down upon and if you dont complete the pre-req's, how does the application go through?
thanks

so, does it mean that i can take pre-req's during my last year of undergraduate when applying for dental school? like physics and organic chem and i also heard that taking 1st year courses are looked down upon and if you dont complete the pre-req's, how does the application go through?
thanks

I was pre-law basically because that is what my dad did. I didn't want to do it, but I figured with a law degree, it would help me to set up and run my own business someday. Then I met my wife (a hygienist) and she introduced me to dentistry and I fell in love with it. So I took all my pre-reqs the last year and a half of my undergraduate, applied without all my pre-reqs done, and still got in.

So, it really doesn't matter when you take the pre-reqs (if you are a bio/chem major, you have to take them to take upper division classes, and if you are another major, then there is no real advantage to taking them early or late in your schooling). All that matters is that you do well in your classes and do well on the DAT.

Now, like I said, I was accepted on the condition that I finish all my pre-reqs before starting dental school. They knew that I was planning on taking them, because on the application it has a spot for classes that you will take. After I was accepted, with condition to compete the pre-reqs I had to show proof of my completion of the classes with acceptable grades before I could matriculate. That is how my application went through.

Thank you very much for the inspiring stories, would any members care to share which schools they were accepted to on contingency without all the pre-reqs?

just like alot of other people, I hadn't finished my pre-reqs before applying. I'm a senior now and I have to pass genetics and genetics lab (for my bio+lab req) by the end of June. It shouldn't be hard.
The schools that I were interested in actually depended on the classes that I would have to take to go there. I'm a chem major so I don't have my bio classes.

I know that it is possible to still get accepted into schools even without the prereqs done, but does that make one less competitive?

I am applying this June for the Sept 2009 school year. However, when I apply, I will still need to finish my second semester of physics and biochemistry, which I plan to complete fall semester of 2008.

Will this hurt my chances of getting an interview and or accepted? If another student with the same gpa and same dat scores, volunteer hours, experience, etc as me but has all the prereqs done, will they have a better chance then me? Am I less competitive?

I called some of the schools and they said that it doesn't affect it. They said that they would still call me for an interview and accept me on a conditional basis that I have the courses completed before matriculation. However, I would like to hear it from actual students whether they had problems or not.

Thanks so much!!

I know that it is possible to still get accepted into schools even without the prereqs done, but does that make one less competitive?

I am applying this June for the Sept 2009 school year. However, when I apply, I will still need to finish my second semester of physics and biochemistry, which I plan to complete fall semester of 2008.

Will this hurt my chances of getting an interview and or accepted? If another student with the same gpa and same dat scores, volunteer hours, experience, etc as me but has all the prereqs done, will they have a better chance then me? Am I less competitive?

I called some of the schools and they said that it doesn't affect it. They said that they would still call me for an interview and accept me on a conditional basis that I have the courses completed before matriculation. However, I would like to hear it from actual students whether they had problems or not.

Thanks so much!!

Of course it is going to make you less competitive. Even though I was accepted into multiple schools (Temple, Creighton, Southern Illinois, and wait listed at others) without all my pre-reqs done, I was rejected from a lot of schools that my grades were a lot higher than their averages (USC, NYU, Arizona), and I feel a big part of that is that they saw that I needed so many classes and immediately rejected me. So, you have to ask yourself if the cost of applying is worth the risk of not getting in. If it is, do it, if not, just wait until your application is complete.

Of course it is going to make you less competitive. Even though I was accepted into multiple schools (Temple, Creighton, Southern Illinois, and wait listed at others) without all my pre-reqs done, I was rejected from a lot of schools that my grades were a lot higher than their averages (USC, NYU, Arizona), and I feel a big part of that is that they saw that I needed so many classes and immediately rejected me. So, you have to ask yourself if the cost of applying is worth the risk of not getting in. If it is, do it, if not, just wait until your application is complete.

On the other hand, I don't think it will make that much of a difference if you only have one or two pre-reqs. left. A lot of people apply during their senior year and the adcoms probably understand this. Of course, who knows what adcoms REALLY think.