Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Has NJMS and RWJMS forsaken me?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dbuck64, Dec 20, 2005.

1. dbuck64

dbuck64 dbuck64
    5+ Year Member

Alright.....let us be frank here....

I have been completed at NJMS and RWJMS since August. I have reasonable MCATs, 3.6 in a 3yr full time grad school (PT) and dynamite experience / EC (Currently work as a physical therapist (PT) in a major affliation site for UMDNJ.

It is Dec 20th. Am I getting an interview? I have been accepted to an out of state (osteopathic) school....I WANT NJ!!!!

The waiting is getting to me....
    Sorry to vent peoples.....I just want to stay here in NJ....

Any professionals out there going back to MED school in a similar situation....

Thanks for reading.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. G-Man82

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm assuming you're in-state, right? If I were you, I'd call up the admissions office and inquire about the status of your application. It could be quite possible that they lost something, for example LOR's. In my case, I used VirtualEvals, and some schools I'd applied to kept saying they hadn't received those, though I'd received the confirmation from VirtualEvals that they'd been sent pretty early. So I had to call them up, make sure they searched their excess pile of paper, and eventaully they found them. It wouldn't hurt, either, to e-mail Dr. Heinrich (NJMS) or Dr. Terregino (RWJMS) and ask them directly. For such a long waiting time, I think you're entitled to a status check.

4. thorg12

thorg12 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree, i def think you should give a call and ask for a status check. They're very nice and will happily look to see whats going on with your application. They will even tell you if its been reviewed or not yet. I have a question too. One of my friends is applying but is an out of stater, have any out of staters been interviewed, if so when did they start?
    -mike

5. blz

blz Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    well your gpa is fine, so define what a "reasonable" mcat score is.

6. doctorFred

doctorFred intensive carer
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    you're not the only one.

i'm an in-state resident with a 3.3 gpa and a 34 mcat, completed at both schools in september.. i interviewed at RWJ more than a month ago.. but as for NJMS, not a word. i've called on the status of my application three times - nothing. considering they interview 75% of their in-state applicants, it's really starting to frustrate me. how could RWJ consider me to be in the top 25% of their applicant pool, yet NJMS consider me to be in the bottom 25%? there's really no rhyme or reason to it.

i don't know about NJMS, but as for whether or not RWJ offers interview invites, they have a strict mathematical formula, that (correct me if i'm mistaken) is on a scale from 1-200. in order to receive an interview, in-state residents need a score of 130 or greater. the bar is higher for out-of-state residents (around 150, but again, this is half-fact and half speculation.) i also can't really elucidate how these scores are obtained, although i believe it's something along the lines of: your gpa X your mcat score X the multiplier associated with your undergrad institution.

again, YMMV. all i'm sure about is that in-staters need a score of 130 or greater to get an interview.

7. Gentle

Gentle Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm an OOSter and interviewed at NJMS on 11/15. Got the acceptance phone call on 12/13.

Goodluck to your friend.

8. anthroguy

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Does anyone know how this is calculated?

9. doctorFred

doctorFred intensive carer
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    well, you just never know sometimes. i called NJMS today for about the third time, got the same "still not reviewed" response, and then got an interview invitation an hour later.

ha!