Has Pain Become More or Less Competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Has Pain become More or Less Competitive?

• More

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Less

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • More or less

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters
suspect it will be getting more competitive with the EM job market going downhill.

Members don't see this ad :)
No canary in the coal mine? What do you think will disrupt the trend? No societies have taken a position opposing PE in Medicine.
In my opinion, what will happen is that most places will opt out of supervision eventually. Then when these CRNAs Dunning-Krueger themselves into a bunch of wrongful death suits, the paradigm shift will change. But not until then.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm kind of rambling here so bear with me.
- Most hospital CEO's are machiavellian psychopaths. They give zero ****s about what their mission is so long as they get a golden parachute. Total D-bags. They could care less the impact poor care has on society.
- Anesthesia is so safe, really only dip****s screw it up on healthy folks. Its the fattys and vasculopaths that are easy to pick off. And dialysis patients.
- The anesthesiologist provides a sort of liability sponge for the surgeon, interventionist, whatevah. If you omit the anesthesiologist then the doctor in the room is captain of the ship. When "the @#it hits the fan", then that physician assumes liability for the CRNA. (ortho docs are also deeper pockets for bottom feeders, heh). Most surgeons don't like taking that risk. (unless there is $$ on the table)
- Private equity is ruining anesthesiology, true. But the older docs are leaving for a myriad of reasons other than that... Covid, complex EMR's, declining lifestyle, reimbursement, etc...like other specialties are doing. But don't worry, there will be cadres of FMG's to fill the gaps. They are being treated as slave labour in those NY hospitals.
- ER has been the bellwether for bad stuff for a while. See the book "the rape of emergency medicine" ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-0963223715. Explains why some of these ER companies like apollo were able to abuse these anesthesia groups. They had it happen to them first.
- The price on amazon is ridiculous, get it from library genesis - the napster for books. Screw baldy bald head bezos.
- anyway, try not to get too cynical we are living out our 20 year old self's dreams. LOL

it seems that there is so much cynicism on this forum.

it is so easy to lose perspective.

to right that ship - in the past 4 years, both before and during COVID, I have had 4 engineer friends in their early 50s get fired. these were guys at the upper echelon of their profession, with good high paying jobs at supposedly stable companies. One was "let go" 2 days before Christmas.

all 4 of them are still looking for meaningful work.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm kind of rambling here so bear with me.
- Most hospital CEO's are machiavellian psychopaths. They give zero ****s about what their mission is so long as they get a golden parachute. Total D-bags. They could care less the impact poor care has on society.
- Anesthesia is so safe, really only dip****s screw it up on healthy folks. Its the fattys and vasculopaths that are easy to pick off. And dialysis patients.
- The anesthesiologist provides a sort of liability sponge for the surgeon, interventionist, whatevah. If you omit the anesthesiologist then the doctor in the room is captain of the ship. When "the @#it hits the fan", then that physician assumes liability for the CRNA. (ortho docs are also deeper pockets for bottom feeders, heh). Most surgeons don't like taking that risk. (unless there is $$ on the table)
- Private equity is ruining anesthesiology, true. But the older docs are leaving for a myriad of reasons other than that... Covid, complex EMR's, declining lifestyle, reimbursement, etc...like other specialties are doing. But don't worry, there will be cadres of FMG's to fill the gaps. They are being treated as slave labour in those NY hospitals.
- ER has been the bellwether for bad stuff for a while. See the book "the rape of emergency medicine" ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-0963223715. Explains why some of these ER companies like apollo were able to abuse these anesthesia groups. They had it happen to them first.
- The price on amazon is ridiculous, get it from library genesis - the napster for books. Screw baldy bald head bezos.
- anyway, try not to get too cynical we are living out our 20 year old self's dreams. LOL
This is spot on.

it seems that there is so much cynicism on this forum.

it is so easy to lose perspective.

to right that ship - in the past 4 years, both before and during COVID, I have had 4 engineer friends in their early 50s get fired. these were guys at the upper echelon of their profession, with good high paying jobs at supposedly stable companies. One was "let go" 2 days before Christmas.

all 4 of them are still looking for meaningful work.
Totally agree with this. I think the competitiveness will ebb/flow as it has for many specialities. All year in 2020 just thinking, glad I’m a physician bc I’ll always be able to at least pay the bills. I too had two very bright EE friends lose jobs and struggling now…

I think with the growth of the field beyond bread and butter procedures it will attract more candidates to the field.

I think with the growth of the field beyond bread and butter procedures it will attract more candidates to the field.
I don’t mind bread and butter procedures 8-5 making more than anesthesia taking call weekly.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t mind bread and butter procedures 8-5 making more than anesthesia taking call weekly.
I think that’s fine but more advanced procedures will also attract more candidates as well.

there are a lot more physicians doing trials and implants than just trials.

now with more ‘surgical’ procedures, this will attract medical students who have a surgical mindset.