rishi718

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Status
Medical Student
ive been reading step 1 forum for long long time

and biggest thing ive noticed since last yr

was that this yr EVERYBODY EVERYWHERE bashes the $%^ outta qbank

i mean the fact is, its still one of only four A ratings in first aid, so peole somewhere find it beneficial.

I'm asking cus I keep going back n forth on whether to start it at all, i was originally gonna do it twice with world just to be safe

there were posts in the experience thread less than yr ago about how 50% of exam reminded him of qbank and the other half reminded him of world, no?

my friend just took it in december and he said qbank all the way.

is it really that worthless?? should i jus do rx n world and forget about it

metalmd06

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I really don't think that Qbank is that horrible. It is true that it is broader and less concentrated in high-yield material, but how can you go wrong from doing questions? There is plenty I have learned from Qbank explanations, as well as plenty I have reinforced. It seems like there was a time that Qbank was the go-to source. Uworld has supplanted it, but that doesn't mean its a useless resource. I'm through it with a 70% and getting ready to move on to Uworld for the last two months. I'm really interested to see for myself what the differences are.

kryptik

10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
if you have the time just do both to have your piece of mind

vicinihil

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I liked the Qbank as a way of enforcing what I learn in class. Sometimes they have great questions very similar in style and level of UW. Though I agree that some are very obscure and require recall of minutiae but it's a decent source nonetheless. I would recommend using it throughout second year along with school subjects as opposed to using it the month before the test.

Krazykyle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Questions I have had today:

How fast does a nerve grow: (1mm/day, which I knew but is useless)

Three anatomy questions about the median nerve in a block of 48

2 questions asking me to look at a chart and find a number (CO vs. Venous return chart)

So I think Kaplan has some great information, but the questions appear to be written by a medical student or someone with a poor knowledge of how to write an integrated question and often test things that are so so small that they have no real applicability to anything including the USMLE (Like the speed a nerve grows at, sure knowing that microtubles use kinesin or something like that may have applicability, but rote facts like that ARE WAY TOO COMMON on Qbank)

lildave2586

10+ Year Member
May 12, 2008
The ville
Status
Medical Student
Qbank is great for early and prelim studying. Don't use it close to the test. I started Qbank in late December with the purpose of reviewing for the Path and Micro shelf tests. It was great for that purpose and I was able to score well on both shelf tests (Qbank was the only studying I used for either shelf, besides Goljan audio). I'm finished with it next week, and after that, it's on to Uworld. I've done 80% of the questions, and there is a ton of minutia and crap in there, however, some are quite good and I was able to review a lot of information in a short amount of time.

One thing about it that I did enjoy was the cross-referencing to pages in First-Aid.

Qbank still has it's place in my opinion, but it's can't touch the quality of Uworld.

lildave2586

10+ Year Member
May 12, 2008
The ville
Status
Medical Student
Questions I have had today:

How fast does a nerve grow: (1mm/day, which I knew but is useless)

Three anatomy questions about the median nerve in a block of 48

Sorry for the double post, but I had those recently and couldn't stop laughing. What about the one that makes you identify the FAB classification of childhood leukemia? Really? L1 vs. M3? We have to know this crap? I think not!! :laugh:

rem6775

7+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sorry for the double post, but I had those recently and couldn't stop laughing. What about the one that makes you identify the FAB classification of childhood leukemia? Really? L1 vs. M3? We have to know this crap? I think not!! :laugh:
Really? You don't think it's important to know that M3 has the best prognosis, has Auer rods, can be treated with all-trans-retinoic acid by causing maturation and often has t(15;17)? Sounds like plenty of things that could legitimately be asked to me.

mq123

Blah username =/= blah me
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2007
BuyMoria
Status
Medical Student
Really? You don't think it's important to know that M3 has the best prognosis, has Auer rods, can be treated with all-trans-retinoic acid by causing maturation and often has t(15;17)? Sounds like plenty of things that could legitimately be asked to me.
This is all in RR Path... Sure, you need to know that the classification system exists, and also know that M3 is an important one, but I really don't think memorizing the entire thing is helpful (or necessary) for this exam.

DC DOC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2007
Believeland
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Use the qbank to reinforce basic science details (picky stuff) and use world for connecting the dots between those points. That is how I am looking it. I plan to finish qbank then hit world for wrapping things up. But then again my school purchases the qbank for us, if I had the choice, I may spend my money on something else.

Krazykyle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Medical Student

I really REALLY doubt you need to know the FAB classification, Goljan says in his lectures is it pretty much worthless.

You do need to know M3 is acute promyelocytic with auer rods and DIC. That doesn't mean learning that whole system.

lildave2586

10+ Year Member
May 12, 2008
The ville
Status
Medical Student
You're correct in what you've said. However, you don't need to know the differences between L1 and L2, M2 and M6, ect. Go ahead and remember M3 does all the things you've stated, but please don't commit the classification to memory. Total waste of precious brain space.

rem6775

7+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I really REALLY doubt you need to know the FAB classification, Goljan says in his lectures is it pretty much worthless.

You do need to know M3 is acute promyelocytic with auer rods and DIC. That doesn't mean learning that whole system.
Right, but the question he was referring to was about M3, which clearly is important. Plus, the inherent differences between ALL and AML work into that question, too. So he said it was useless, but it doesn't seem like that's true.

Krazykyle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Right, but the question he was referring to was about M3, which clearly is important. Plus, the inherent differences between ALL and AML work into that question, too. So he said it was useless, but it doesn't seem like that's true.
What does that have to do with learning the FAB classification?

Of course you need to know the difference between AML and ALL.

rem6775

7+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What does that have to do with learning the FAB classification?

Of course you need to know the difference between AML and ALL.
Because the question was about the differences between ALL/AML and about M3 subtype, all of which is important. The question never was based on knowing the FAB classification.

vicinihil

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Half the battle is figuring out what the question is asking...clearly half of you know and the other half doesn't haha. OK why are we still talking about FAB classification? Know M3 and that's that. Let's talk about another reason why UW >> Qbank >>>>> USMLERx > Consult

FutureDoc4

10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I believe its UWorld>>>>>USMLERx>>Path Consult>>Kaplan

I've gotten to try all of these (I got a free trial from Kaplan)

First, everyone knows UWorld is the best. Most connections, makes you think three or four steps.

I ranked Rx next because IT MAKES YOU GET THROUGH FIRST AID. I don't know how many of you have actually tried to sit down and memorize first aid but its painful. I find doing Rx much more useful to than look at sections of FA (sections I only even briefly went over).

Path Consult is good cause its free with RR, and it tests key concepts from Goljan's book. They are not hard questions but drive home important points.

Kaplan is last for a few reasons. Overpriced. They "try to hard" to come up with questions. But, they seem to lack integrations and come up with questions that test minutia (not even found in FA).

I think you really cannot go wrong with any of these IMHO, but the above is my experience thus far.

rishi718

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I know 3 people that took the exam w/ in the past 3 months. All three swore that they saw about 5-10 questions word for word from the Kaplan Qbank on the actual USMLE.. Also, one guy told me the behavioral science charts and other graphs from the qbank are the same exact images and sometimes even same questions on the usmle. Ill post back in 3 weeks and let you know if this was also the case for me.
any updates anybody who took test??

running outta time and uworld aint even done yet, so i guess that answers question of whether using kaplan or not, but still havnt asked kaplan for refund, which answers question of whether im completely comfortable with ignoring qbank? we had some good info befrot eh m3 arguemtn n was wondering if any updates please?

tachyon34

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2007
Status
i hated q bank.. their questions are really trivia type, and are the kind that are like wait.... i thought the exact opposite was true. A lot of times their answer stem doesn't give enough info to solve the problem e.g. two answers could be right. I felt a lot of questions were trick type questions rather than testing your knowledge/ or were a not so subtle advertisement to buy medessentials

username456789

7+ Year Member
May 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
i hated q bank.. their questions are really trivia type, and are the kind that are like wait.... i thought the exact opposite was true. A lot of times their answer stem doesn't give enough info to solve the problem e.g. two answers could be right. I felt a lot of questions were trick type questions rather than testing your knowledge/ or were a not so subtle advertisement to buy medessentials

Ha, I definitely feel you on a lot of that. I do think there's some merit to them, but earlier in the prep, when feeling frustrated is still completely acceptable. My UWorld averages so far have been pretty great, and I owe that a lot, I think, to the Kaplan QBank questions being tougher or more nitpicky or more tricky. It's not uncommon for me to read a UW question, look at the answer choices, make my decision, then say "wait a second . . . this is obviously wrong, because it's too straightforward . . . where's the trick?" Then I remember it's not Kaplan, click the answer choice, and bingo, another correct answer.

go lakers

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
CA
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Now that they have added the "Highest yield" option on Qbank, I wonder if those questions they select in that setting really are high yield.
Wondering the same. How would they actually go about classifying a question as HY?