Has the opinion of NEOMED (NEOUCOP) improved at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aestatis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking through old threads, I either see people talking about the medical school, or talking about the school when the pharmacy portion just opened. Overall though, the opinion of it has been negative.

Now that the school has graduated some students, anyone here have any other opinions on it? Personally, I think their curriculum seems interested - I would like to think it isn't as sub par as some make it out to be due to its youth. I'm rather interested in NEOMED since I go to one of the partner schools, but is it true that NEOMED students have a much harder time finding jobs than other schools in the state?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed and was accepted there. I ended up going elsewhere due to location issues, but I was impressed with their program. I brought up some of the negative stuff I had heard in the interview and they had a very open student feedback system that was driving some changes from when they opened day 1.

I did just read in the OSHP bulletin that their dean is leaving so I don't know what kind of impact that will have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Information about pass rates for the NAPLEX and MPJE:

On the NAPLEX, NEOMED College of Pharmacy graduates had a first-time pass rate of 98.28 percent and a total scaled score mean of 110.10. The first-time pass rate for all candidates in the state of Ohio was 98.33 percent and the first-time pass rate for all candidates in the nation was 96.57 percent. The total scaled mean scores for Ohio and the nation were 107.41 and 105.03, respectively.

On the MPJE, NEOMED College of Pharmacy graduates had a first-time pass rate of 100 percent and a total scaled schore mean of 88.00. The first time pass rate for all candidates in the state of Ohio was 99.42 percent and the first-time pass rate of 96.05 percent. The total scaled mean scores for Ohio and the nation were 87.18 and 82.86, respectively.

http://www.neomed.edu/donate/neomed-foundation-newsletter/NEOMED_Foundation_Newsletter_Nov2011

All of the students who graduated in 2011 were able find a pharmacy position or decided to continue school full time (ex. for a Master's degree). The residency average (percent of students who matched) was on par with the national average.

As far as concerns about the curriculum, I can't really address that because I'm not sure why it would be considered sub par. During the first 1 1/2 years, you have some pharmacy only classes, but also multiple classes with medical students (biochemistry, physiology, brain mind & behavior, infection & immunology). They are definitely geared towards the medical students (and their step 1 boards), so they are challenging. The professors for the 3 semesters of therapeutics are very knowledgeable and have completed residencies/fellowships and years of experience before teaching. Many are shared faculty, which can be nice because the spend a percentage of their time teaching, but are primarily at their institution. For example, much of the OTC course is taught by an the editor-in-chief of the OTC handbook. Kinetics is taught by a professor you completed a fellowship in kinetics. Oncology is taught by a team of oncology pharmacists from the Cleveland Clinic.

Well, I'm not sure why it would be considered subpar either, aside from the fact the school is new I suppose. I get the impression that a lot of people equate new with subpar as far as Pharmacy schools go.

Naturally, I'm biased, so I wanted to get outside opinions. I appreciate the statistics though - it makes me feel better. :3

Dear EBT12,

I was wondering if NEOMED's program is geared towards preparing its' students for a certain practice such as community pharmacy, working in a hospital, or pursuing full time research? Or maybe if there is no emphasis, do they have different opportunities for gaining experience in those areas? I Just wanted to know more about the school because I was invited for an interview next week. Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
i was wondering if anyone can sumbit a review of NEOMED. i would like to get some reviews about its reputation (such as the students, the courses), how the medical community and other hosipitals view it ( for applying to residency). i looked around on the interweb and i couldn't find any reviews for NEOMED because of its relative newness and it is not as famous and well known (i think that's why?). i would love to apply here for the BS/MD program but i want to know if i can get into a good residency program/job if i were to graduate from here.thank you all very much!

Are you interesting in studying medicine, pharmacy or some other type of graduate studies? The medical school started in 1973, and the first BS/MD class started shortly thereafter, so its not that new. The majority of students commit to the MD program through BS/MD program in high school.

The pharmacy school and college of graduate studies is newer. Two PharmD classes have graduated. Graduates have went on to residencies, fellowships and graduate work, in addition to working for a wide variety of companies in multiple different settings.

Classes are taught in an interdisciplinary manner. Basically, for the first 1 1/2 years, many of the major classes (biochemistry, physiology, neurology and behavior, infectious disease) are taught as a single class for both medical and pharmacy students. There are also PhD students in some of the classes. Overall, I enjoyed my experience. I liked the small pharmacy class size (<75 students). I got to know the professors really well and that helped me obtain am awesome residency position (i.e. good rotation sites, letters of recommendation, etc).

Oh I didn't realize this was a pharmacy forum but I want to go in for medicine as in doctors. Thank you for the information. Do know any classmates that got into the Cleveland clinic for residency?