Has the thought of knocking out an attending ever come across your mind?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Long Dong

My middle name is Duc.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
herp derp

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I tend to fantasize about making love to their attention-starved wives while they are working on weekends. Works like a charm.

I tend to fantasize about making love to their attention-starved wives while they are working on weekends. Works like a charm.

HAHA. Lest you forget that they are probably too busy charging up their hubbie's credit cards on manicures and shopping at Nordstroms. Got to look good for that hot date with the pool boy on Sat night!

I generally hurt my hand when I punch things so I would prefer what Adam Sandler did in the film "Click" to his boss. More satisfaction, less pain for me.

http://hhbt.ytmnd.com/

Several years ago at my friend's hospital, a Trauma attending was being a jerk in the trauma bay while my friend (an orthopod) was trying to reduce something. My friend kept asking the Trauma attending to get out of his way while he was trying to get a Steinman in the femur. The Trauma attending stepped things up and got in my friend's face. My friend turned and told the attending to "Get out of my f*cking face and let me do my job", whereupon the Trauma attending took a swing at my friend. My friend, who is a big, ripped Ortho guy and also a 2nd degree blackbelt in Taekwondo and a brown belt in Aikido blocked his punch and then dislocated his shoulder as spun the jerk around. The Trauma attending was fired and my friend was quietly given a pat on the back. BTW, this was confirmed by another friend who was the EM doc who put the Trauma attending's shoulder back in. Fo real.

Several years ago at my friend's hospital, a Trauma attending was being a jerk in the trauma bay while my friend (an orthopod) was trying to reduce something. My friend kept asking the Trauma attending to get out of his way while he was trying to get a Steinman in the femur. The Trauma attending stepped things up and got in my friend's face. My friend turned and told the attending to "Get out of my f*cking face and let me do my job", whereupon the Trauma attending took a swing at my friend. My friend, who is a big, ripped Ortho guy and also a 2nd degree blackbelt in Taekwondo and a brown belt in Aikido blocked his punch and then dislocated his shoulder as spun the jerk around. The Trauma attending was fired and my friend was quietly given a pat on the back. BTW, this was confirmed by another friend who was the EM doc who put the Trauma attending's shoulder back in. Fo real.

Was this friend Chuck Norris?

Ahaha! that's hilarious. Yeah, there's an attending I want to b****slap several times during a shift. One who makes me order a CT Chest for a superficial cat scratch on the torso and one who wanted me to double check an easy intubation with a glidescope (I was like, so you want me to extubate her and then reintubate her using the glidescope?!?! and she said Yes. And I said NO.) It's not so much me wanting to cause physical harm to them as me wanting to shoot myself to save myself the misery. There's another attending who wanted a junior resident to give steroids to a potential febrile SBP patient. I heard and was like ??? . I told that junior resident that under no circumstances was he to order the steroids until we figured out what the hell was going on. The attending obviously didn't like that, but this kind of crap blows my mind and is potentially dangerous. I'm not a trouble maker but I definitely have stood up to attendings on occasion when what they tell me just doesn't make sense or what they want me to do will put me in the middle of stupid arguments between attendings. I'm respectful to people I respect, attending or not. But some people are so afraid of hierarchy that it ends up in bad medicine and makes me want to puke.

Reactions: 1 user
There are one or two attendings who I have fantasized about knocking to the ground, and then beating their head in with a sledgehammer. Particularly after getting blamed for something that wasn't my fault.

I have been genuinely stunned at the lack of civility in some attendings I have met as a lowly intern. A few have, when I politely extend my hand in a handshake gesture as I introduce myself have 1) not identified themselves and 2) insulted me and my nationality/state of origin or just stared at me and my hand held out to them. I agree, some attendings lack really very basic social skills.

The worst have been those who berate me up and down when I don't know something. As a new intern, there is certainly quite a lot that I don't know but I don't think it deserved being ripped to shreds in front of staff and patients. Maybe, a simple teaching explanation would be better. How hard is it to stop and say, 'ok this is how we treat such and so in this situation.' But, as an intern I never say anything and just smile. :)

Have I ever thought it would be nice to clobber an attending?
yes
yes
oh hell yeah...
and I'm an XX chromosomer...

I am an attending and that thought crosses my mind on most days. Mostly surgeons, but not always.:laugh:

I seriously think this will be the hardest part of med school and residency for me.

I dont treat people like that and I expect the same.
So, this will be a hard lesson for me. To keep my mouth shut.....:xf:

Btw, I boxed for several years ;)

DUB u know abt the problem I had when I still did body building ? Lol

We had a fall out after surgery and yes we both slept in jail that night
But I admit I had a temper. So it was my mistake I took the 1st swing

He is my best friend now

The attendings that make medical students come in on the weekends for no reason other than the fact that they can...

I seriously think this will be the hardest part of med school and residency for me.

I dont treat people like that and I expect the same.
So, this will be a hard lesson for me. To keep my mouth shut.....:xf:

Btw, I boxed for several years ;)

New to the forum.....Unfortunately, I have the same general attitude as you, do unto others...... I have found anything but that to be true in Medicine. Which is why I end up pulling my hair out and envisioning being the one to pull the stick out of their constipated and rude a**. I have 6 mos to go before I'm out of residency and I am counting down the days. The daily harrassment, bullying, rude comments, and recently being hung up by a furious attending and the public humiliation and scream fest that followed in front of all my resident cohorts has led me to be 100% certain that filing a faculty complaint is the right way to go. I have had all the abuse I will take. Medicine is not one of those professions that read the book on common courtesy. I should have known in my 1st year what I was in for when one of our attendings didn't show up for work and it wasn't noticed nor talked about. He had passed away and it was biz as usual.......

Last edited:
One would hope that when you guys become attendings, you don't treat your residents the same way. The ones who stand up to this kind of abuse will likely not do it themselves. But I think that the majority of residents who just keep taking it and become more and more angry as the days pass are likely going to turn out just like the abusing attendings. The vicious cycle.

One would hope that when you guys become attendings, you don't treat your residents the same way. The ones who stand up to this kind of abuse will likely not do it themselves. But I think that the majority of residents who just keep taking it and become more and more angry as the days pass are likely going to turn out just like the abusing attendings. The vicious cycle.

I agree with the vicious cycle. I am certain that many psychological experiments have been done to show that the pervasive attitude and behaviors of the group are repeated by those who wish to be in the group. If the "norm" is harrassing and bullying residents then there is no compelling reason to risk being different. I have raised children and puppies for that matter, very similar actually. Praise and positive reinforcement yield the best results. Common sense....

Another thing I haven't come across on the board is the realization of residents to know that they are in fact EMPLOYEES of the hospital with the same protections and rights. This would include due process. ACGME also has protections put in place (firing without cause, remediation, protection from retaliation, bullying, confidentiality). If residents don't hold these abusive power ****** to the law, then it will continue. I've done my BEST to stay under the radar, put in extraordinary effort to make certain I did my job 'perfectly', avoided any situation that could be even possibly misinterpreted etc. It takes an incredible amount of vigilance to do this....The only thing I cannot protect against is factitious events resulting in false accusations. For the past 15 mos I have suffered anguish, painful verbal and near physical abuse, scapegoating, bullying to no end from the PD after I complained about his behavior. I have 6 miniscule months to go, but his behavior is so unacceptable, illegal and unprofessional and I am holding him to the carpet this time. Stay tuned....

Another thing I haven't come across on the board is the realization of residents to know that they are in fact EMPLOYEES of the hospital with the same protections and rights. ....

yes, and if they are treated unfairly and fired, they can get a lawyer and perhaps get a years salary (resident's salary) if they are very lucky. In the process of doing this their medical career will be completely destroyed. Legal action against the hospital will not get the PD to give you credit for completing a year.

Last edited:
Residents are not necessarily considered employees (legally speaking). I believe this is an area of dispute. For example, Mayo Clinic and numerous other residency programs I believe have tried to claim them as students, and thus avoid paying in to Social Security, etc. Someone with a law degree please correct me if I am wrong. My experience as a resident is that we didn't get all the same benefits as regular hospital employees (for example, had to wait 6 months to get retirement benefits, didn't get the yearly Christmas bonus all the other hospital employees got, etc.). We got certain other benefits they didn't (some free concert tickets, etc. through the GME office).

To micromom above: my advice is to keep your head down and just finish out the next 6 months. Even if not doing fellowship (in which case you need the PD to not get in the way...and ideally to help you get in) you have to remember that the PD could create problems in terms of you getting jobs later, or even with the medical licensing board (though most PD's wouldn't stoop to doing the latter unless they were really angry or thought someone was really bad). As someone who is out of residency, I can say that a lot of the stresses you are going through and day to day crap of residency will seem unimportant a couple of years from now...unless you get into a needless power struggle that you are very unlikely to win. Of course, I don't know your exact situation, but generally speaking I would say that is so. The problem in any dispute between a PD and a resident is that the presumption will generally be that the PD has the responsibility of training the resident and is therefore best placed to judge competence of a trainee and thus protect the public (patient safety, etc.). So generally a resident isn't going to win in this type of situation...I would not in general expect the GME office to go to bat for you...they are employees of your hospital system...they may offer you things like counseling or a hearing in front of faculty and perhaps one or two peers,but from what I hear residents seldom "win" in these types of disputes. Anyway, what would constitute "winning"? Getting a great evaluation and great future recommendations from the PD? Not going to happen if he doesn't like you.

Hmm...I always thought the reason was education.

You're so experienced, but so naive. If everything you say on these boards is true, I wish I had been in your OR as a third year medical student...I might have ended up interested in surgery.

Hmm...I always thought the reason was education.

You're so experienced, but so naive. If everything you say on these boards is true, I wish I had been in your OR as a third year medical student...I might have ended up interested in surgery.

You know what is even more naive? Responding to a post nearly 4 years later...

You know what is even more naive? Responding to a post nearly 4 years later...

Wow. I didn't even realize. It was bumped for some reason...

However, that's not naivety, that's inattentiveness :p

Reactions: 1 users
Wow. I didn't even realize. It was bumped for some reason...

However, that's not naivety, that's inattentiveness :p

naivety can be remedied…inattentiveness is a flaw that is frowned upon in medicine…

its one thing to bump an old (even ancient) thread if you have new information or a new question and the thread fits your needs…its another to do so to snipe at a pretty established member who gives her time here to help those still in the process…especially when someone answered with a, more appropriate, quip (that was funny)…FOUR years ago.

Reactions: 2 users
naivety can be remedied…inattentiveness is a flaw that is frowned upon in medicine…

its one thing to bump an old (even ancient) thread if you have new information or a new question and the thread fits your needs…its another to do so to snipe at a pretty established member who gives her time here to help those still in the process…especially when someone answered with a, more appropriate, quip (that was funny)…FOUR years ago.

Instead of letting it die, you bump it again in an antagonistic way to get me to respond. Effective trolling is effective.

As for the other ridiculous comment, I guess I'm lucky that this is a message board and not patient care, and inattentive moments are punished by having to read *****ic posts from the said inattentive poster.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Inattentive moments are met with *****ic posts by the said inattentive poster*

Sorry, the app won't let me edit my post.

One of my neuro attendings would call me "sweetie", "honey", "baby girl" every single day. I wanted to bitch slap him so bad but he was the only person evaluating me. what an a******

One of my neuro attendings would call me "sweetie", "honey", "baby girl" every single day. I wanted to bitch slap him so bad but he was the only person evaluating me. what an a******

You should have gone to the clerkship director. That sort of thing would qualify as sexual harassment.

You should have gone to the clerkship director. That sort of thing would qualify as sexual harassment.

Of course I did, so did other female students. But he's still teaching. He's considered a world expert in TBI and not going anywhere

As a male medical student, I had a decent looking female surgery attending call me "monkey" all the time. No I didn't appreciate it. I just put up with it for 3 months and then went on with my life. As annoying as she was, she couldn't hold a candle to a lot of other attendings and residents I bore with. I didn't let them make me bitter. As an intern, I tried to be as nice to the med students as I could. The only med student I ever had a problem with was the one who would continually show up late and then force me to stay late while I waited for him to finish his work. It was kind of an awkward situation because he had been a classmate of mine during the first year of med school before he flunked twice. No one who did what was expected of them ever had a problem with me or vice versa.

Inattentive moments are met with *****ic posts by the said inattentive poster*

Sorry, the app won't let me edit my post.

Don't get me wrong your post was *****ic too.

One attending tried to make me sing in her OR. I laughed at her, she stopped operating and stared at me silently until I sang. Believe me, I was definitely in the mood to knock out my attending that day.

What tune did you belt out?
For some reason the only thing that popped into my head was "I'm a little tea cup." I'm a 6' tall male. Judge away. To my benefit the attending had to re-scrub after losing it laughing so hard.

Reactions: 3 users
Imo, if you are letting it go to the point where you constantly have the urge to physically assault someone, maybe you are not handling it well. It is cool to be respectful and orderly. But being able not to get pushed around is a valuable trait that even your superiors will appreciate.

Don't get me wrong your post was *****ic too.

1. WS knows I respect her. At least I hope she knows that. I've PMed her for advice on numerous occasions. My original post in this thread was not serious.
2. My post was quite a while ago..Why are you digging it up again? Just to be annoying, I'm guessing.
3. I've looked back at your last few posts, especially those targeted at me. You've said almost nothing constructive/entertaining and nearly 100% of it has been antagonistic/insulting. For that, good sir, you earn a heartfelt block in the face.

1. WS knows I respect her. At least I hope she knows that. I've PMed her for advice on numerous occasions. My original post in this thread was not serious.
2. My post was quite a while ago..Why are you digging it up again? Just to be annoying, I'm guessing.
3. I've looked back at your last few posts, especially those targeted at me. You've said almost nothing constructive/entertaining and nearly 100% of it has been antagonistic/insulting. For that, good sir, you earn a heartfelt block in the face.

"You're so experienced, but so naïve" --- yeah, real respect there.