Has this happened to anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BirkChick

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So today, I had a meeting with a professor that is writing me a recommendation letter. I gave him a copy of my resume, he looked it over and acknowledged that my grades we definitely good enough to gain admission. Then he asked me the infamous question “why do you want to be a dentist?”

I then proceeded to tell him my reasons – I’m very organized and highly detail oriented and enjoy tasks that require those skills, I like the idea of being my own boss, I want to build on my current science knowledge to learn new skills, interacting with patients and fixing their problems appeals to me, working with my hands and making something out of nothing, often getting instant results is what I want.

Now, honestly, those are my reasons. However, my recommender didn’t seem to think they were good enough. He said to me “I’m not getting a clear reason as to why you want to go into dentistry” and “why don’t you want to be a nurse, a teacher, a physician, a <fill in the blank>” and “nurses interact with people” and “you don’t have to be a dentist to own your own business” and “you could be a sculptor” and on and on and on…

I didn’t know what to say. I thought my reasons were good enough!? I even got physically upset in his office (how embarrassing!!) because I couldn’t come up with a smoking gun that was satisfactory– what did he want me to say? I love teeth!? God told me to be a dentist!? He just kept firing back questions and telling me that he couldn’t get a good feel for why I wanted to be a dentist. I kept repeating my reasons, trying to regain my composure (which I was not able to do :( ).

Has this happened to anyone else? Has anyone else’s recommenders questioned their reasons for pursuing dentistry? I am so frustrated right now!

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like your reasons were good enough. when he suggested all those other jobs, you should have told him that only dentistry gave you ALL those things. or you should have told the jerk to go F himself. either one

BirkChick said:
I then proceeded to tell him my reasons – I’m very organized and highly detail oriented and enjoy tasks that require those skills, I like the idea of being my own boss, I want to build on my current science knowledge to learn new skills, interacting with patients and fixing their problems appeals to me, working with my hands and making something out of nothing, often getting instant results is what I want.

I would tell the professor that ALL of these factors are very important to you, and dentistry combines ALL of them and interests you the most.

Yeah, you can be a sculptor and work with your hands, but you don't directly help people and it does not involve science the way dentistry does.

Owning your own business, again doe not allow you to work with patients, work with your hands, and does not incorporate science the way dentistry does.

And so on.... you can tell him/her that there are jobs out there that share aspects with dentistry (working with hands, helping people, owning your own practice) but you want the whole package, you want all of these and for that reason you find dentistry so appealing.

About the LOR: if the guy is giving you this much grief about why you want to be a dent and seems unconvinced in your convictions, scrap him from your LOR list. If he does not give you the LOR before he sends it off, don't take any chances and find someone else.

In my experience all the writes were thrilled to write me a letter and states (on their own) that dentistry would be a great fit for me. They were very receptive to the idea and none of them hassled. So stay away from the loose canons, stick to those you are sure will write a good letter.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
you should have asked him WHY he wanted to be a professor.

that's a perfect example of having jerks for teachers.

What's going to happen when an interviewer asks you why you want to be a dentist and he feels that he isn't satisfied with your answer? Are you going to get upset at your interviewer? I think howui3 has some pretty good suggestions as to how you can respond in situations like that (which I am pretty sure you will face).

Make sure you are very specific and don't give the interviewer any reasonable doubt as to your desire to pursue dentistry. "I like to help people" and "I like to work with my hands" are very general statements and many fields give you the same opportunities. Even if these are the reasons why you want to be a dentist, try to elaborate on them and try and figure out what sets dentistry apart from any other field. Try and relax. Interviewers are going to try and put you on the spot all the time and it's best to try and keep your composure. :)

tinman831 said:
What's going to happen when an interviewer asks you why you want to be a dentist and he feels that he isn't satisfied with your answer? Are you going to get upset at your interviewer? I think howui3 has some pretty good suggestions as to how you can respond in situations like that (which I am pretty sure you will face).

Make sure you are very specific and don't give the interviewer any reasonable doubt as to your desire to pursue dentistry. "I like to help people" and "I like to work with my hands" are very general statements and many fields give you the same opportunities. Even if these are the reasons why you want to be a dentist, try to elaborate on them and try and figure out what sets dentistry apart from any other field. Try and relax. Interviewers are going to try and put you on the spot all the time and it's best to try and keep your composure. :)

Hi Tinman -- Thanks for your comments! I think part of my breakdown was from pure shock of him failing to understand/accwpt my reasons for pursuing dentistry. For the next recommendation letter interview, I will be anticipating this and will have thought of appropriate responses. I don't know what I could have said that would have satisfied this professor -- like I said, he seemed to want a single smoking gun for why I want to pursue dentistry. For me, there isn't a single smoking gun, but the combination of all features of the profession is what is drawing me to it. He did not seem to accept that. Can anyone come up with ONE appealing aspect of dentistry that isn't offered by ANY OTHER field?

I tried to be specific -- When I said that I liked to work with my hands, I talked about when a dentist I shadowed had me make a denture tray. I compared it to my current job where all I do is sit in front of a computer typing all day. Sigh... Like I said, I don't think anything would have satisfied him!

I have always had trouble keeping my composure when someone questions my values -- it makes ME start questioning my values! This is something I've been dealing with all my life, and something that I still need to work on. I was so relaxed when the interview started...

I think what this experience came down to was that I was dealing with an anti-dentite who was wondering why anyone in their right mind would pursue dentistry. Sigh... I have another recommendation letter interview thingie next week -- hopefully that one will go much more smoothly -- I'll let y'all know! :)

Thanks again!

BirkChick said:
Hi Tinman -- Thanks for your comments! I think part of my breakdown was from pure shock of him failing to understand/accwpt my reasons for pursuing dentistry. For the next recommendation letter interview, I will be anticipating this and will have thought of appropriate responses. I don't know what I could have said that would have satisfied this professor -- like I said, he seemed to want a single smoking gun for why I want to pursue dentistry. For me, there isn't a single smoking gun, but the combination of all features of the profession is what is drawing me to it. He did not seem to accept that. Can anyone come up with ONE appealing aspect of dentistry that isn't offered by ANY OTHER field?

I tried to be specific -- When I said that I liked to work with my hands, I talked about when a dentist I shadowed had me make a denture tray. I compared it to my current job where all I do is sit in front of a computer typing all day. Sigh... Like I said, I don't think anything would have satisfied him!

I have always had trouble keeping my composure when someone questions my values -- it makes ME start questioning my values! This is something I've been dealing with all my life, and something that I still need to work on. I was so relaxed when the interview started...

I think what this experience came down to was that I was dealing with an anti-dentite who was wondering why anyone in their right mind would pursue dentistry. Sigh... I have another recommendation letter interview thingie next week -- hopefully that one will go much more smoothly -- I'll let y'all know! :)

Thanks again!

you seem like a really nice and pure person. now just grow a spine and don't take $hit from anyone :thumbup: You sound like you're going into this for the right reasons. Good luck.

Are you certain that he wasn't just trying to have you strengthen a potential weakness in your application and get some context with which to write his letter? It is true that the answers you gave are somewhat general and none of them scream dentistry. Hell, a personal accountant fulfills all of those roles except making something with ones hands. He easily could have been saying those things thinking it was for your benefit.

yeah, sounds like ur teach is just trying to make u really think about it, but i guess he could also be a douech bag @ the same time-- a multitasker if u will. I've heard and seen so many posts about this infamous question (and answered it personally several times as well) , and thought about it a lot within the context of my own life, and have come to two very certain conclusions that apply to me and perhaps others:

1) the qualities u mentioned to ur proff. are acceptable reasons, but theres always the money too, why not mention it, theres nothing wrong with wanting the best for yourself and your family and perhaps children. If i was to live my whole life alone the money really wouldn't be that big of an issue to me, i'd prob try to be a rock star instead, lol

2) some things just appeal to some people for reasons that many times u can't even explain. who knows...u just "have a passion" to pursue dentistry, u don't really know exactly why, u just know that that is your dream and its what u want to do. This is the real reason i want to be a dentist, well that and the financial security that i may or may not attain..who knows..point being its something i've wanted to do since i was very young even before i knew anything about the monetary incentives.

I might also add here that u prob shouldn't listen to me...mabye being honest isn't always the best idea as i have yet to be accepted into D-school...i never lie when people ask me why though..i'm always honest with myself even if it hurts me in the long run.. whatta ya gonna do huh? :luck:

SirShagaLot said:
yeah, sounds like ur teach is just trying to make u really think about it, but i guess he could also be a douech bag @ the same time-- a multitasker if u will. I've heard and seen so many posts about this infamous question (and answered it personally several times as well) , and thought about it a lot within the context of my own life, and have come to two very certain conclusions that apply to me and perhaps others:

1) the qualities u mentioned to ur proff. are acceptable reasons, but theres always the money too, why not mention it, theres nothing wrong with wanting the best for yourself and your family and perhaps children. If i was to live my whole life alone the money really wouldn't be that big of an issue to me, i'd prob try to be a rock star instead, lol

2) some things just appeal to some people for reasons that many times u can't even explain. who knows...u just "have a passion" to pursue dentistry, u don't really know exactly why, u just know that that is your dream and its what u want to do. This is the real reason i want to be a dentist, well that and the financial security that i may or may not attain..who knows..point being its something i've wanted to do since i was very young even before i knew anything about the monetary incentives.

I might also add here that u prob shouldn't listen to me...mabye being honest isn't always the best idea as i have yet to be accepted into D-school...i never lie when people ask me why though..i'm always honest with myself even if it hurts me in the long run.. whatta ya gonna do huh? :luck:

Thanks SirShagALot! I appreciate your comments!

Perhaps he was being a helpful/jerk multitasker... I really don't know at this point. I have thought so much about it that I've probably already skewed the events in my mind.

Actually, the money is definitely not a focus for me. I have been working as an engineer for the past four years and pull down a very healthy salary. While a dentist certainly makes more money than an engineer, it really doesn't make all that much difference to me. When I take into account the amount of lost salary, lost 401k contributions and student loans, it's going to take me YEARS to even make up the difference. Luckily, I have a great husband who is also in the computer field and can support me during my trek through dental school.

What you said about having a passion and not knowing exactly why hits how I'm feeling right on the nose. I love how every patient is different... how their needs are different, their problems are different, their desires are different. I love the idea of creating custom work for each patient. I love the idea of deeply focusing on each tooth, looking for decay or other problems. I love the idea of relieving pain and making a difference that, while they may forget about over time, will affect them everyday. I don't like my desk job where I make a difference in a faceless person's life -- I want to know whose lives I'm touching. Wow, that sounds corny! haha

I also appreciate honesty and feel that I have to tell it how it is. Thanks again for your comments!

It's been a loooong day and this last white russian is hitting me hard. Thanks everyone for responding. I have a lot to think about -- perhaps I'll compose a letter to the professor tomorrow once I have my thoughts straightened out. Thanks again! :)

I agree strongly with tinman. You will need to be able to handle stressful situations when you go to interview. Some interviewers will do all they can to frazzle or upset you to see how you handle these kinds of situations. Something that I might suggest to you is that you might want to ask a question back next time. Say something like, Sir I see that you are not understanding my answer, what is it that I can elaborate on to make you more informed of my answer? Or something to that effect. It seems that you have concrete reasons so perhaps just make it crystal clear that you see ALL of those components and more from dentistry. Most often I try and really speak from my heart, no fancy wording, no trying to impress them, and my professors and advisors always tell me afterward that they can just feel my love for dentistry.

Next time if you feel yourself getting upset, just remember you have solid reasons and this is what you want.

I would probably request that he not write the letter and just tell him in your next meeting that you aren't 100% sure it will be of benefit in the admissions process to get a rec from him. He'll either retract his words and hopefully look upon your grades and drive and open up to you, or simply tell you okay. Some folks have a real problem with people who want to be dentists. The money really drives some people nuts. Maybe you should have asked him why he wanted to become a professor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's what i think. No one is 100% sure that dentistry is for him/her..unless, like you said, God told him or something. The professor definitely wanted some unique and genuine answer that would perfectly satisfy him and assure him that dentistry is truly for you. But of course, there's no such answer that would satisfy him (unless, again, you say God told you or you cant stop thinking about teeth 24/7)..I think he was definitely trying to help you find the best answer that would help you with the interview. So don't get too frustrated with him because his true intention might be to help you find the right career although the result might never be satisfactory for anyone. His attempt to make you think about your pursuing of dentistry might be from a good intention and if that's the case, then he might definitely be willing to write you a good LOR. So figure out if he cares for you or just wanna make you feel miserable with those impossible questions.

BirkChick said:
So today, I had a meeting with a professor that is writing me a recommendation letter. I gave him a copy of my resume, he looked it over and acknowledged that my grades we definitely good enough to gain admission. Then he asked me the infamous question “why do you want to be a dentist?”

Now, honestly, those are my reasons. However, my recommender didn’t seem to think they were good enough. He said to me “I’m not getting a clear reason as to why you want to go into dentistry” and “why don’t you want to be a nurse, a teacher, a physician, a <fill in the blank>” and “nurses interact with people” and “you don’t have to be a dentist to own your own business” and “you could be a sculptor” and on and on and on…

I didn’t know what to say. I thought my reasons were good enough!? I even got physically upset in his office (how embarrassing!!) because I couldn’t come up with a smoking gun that was satisfactory– what did he want me to say? I love teeth!? God told me to be a dentist!? He just kept firing back questions and telling me that he couldn’t get a good feel for why I wanted to be a dentist. I kept repeating my reasons, trying to regain my composure (which I was not able to do :( ).

Has this happened to anyone else? Has anyone else’s recommenders questioned their reasons for pursuing dentistry? I am so frustrated right now!

yeah that happened to me also...all three of my professors...I don't even try to convince people anymore of how great a profession it is anymore their eyes just glaze over and I can hear the final jeopardy theme music playing in their head...just do what you like and 10 years down the road your results will answer that infamous "why do you want to be a dentist question"

yeah.. you should know where you stand with the professor. i think i had a bad letter of rec from the previous year that hurt my chances. make sure you clear this up before you send it out.

Can anyone come up with ONE appealing aspect of dentistry that isn't offered by ANY OTHER field?

How about saying something like: "I like dentistry and I want to be a dentist because it appeals to me!" No, if, and, or but, I simply like dentistry! Sure, all the perks about dentistry (i.e. working with your hands, helping people, owning your business...)serves as good reasons for my choice; but ultimately, setting aside all of the perks, there came a time in my life when the more subjective aspect of choosing a career took over, and this element in my choice, cannot always be put in to the "ONE appealing aspect" for other people." Next time your asked "why dentistry" say: "Besides x,y, and z, I like dentistry and it is something I've chosen to pursue---end of story." It's like asking someone why Vanilla ice cream instead of Chocolate ice cream? After giving your reasons why you like a certain flavor over another (i.e. its creamy and the like....) it comes down to saying "I like it over that one b/c I do."

dexadental said:
I would probably request that he not write the letter and just tell him in your next meeting that you aren't 100% sure it will be of benefit in the admissions process to get a rec from him. He'll either retract his words and hopefully look upon your grades and drive and open up to you, or simply tell you okay. Some folks have a real problem with people who want to be dentists. The money really drives some people nuts. Maybe you should have asked him why he wanted to become a professor.

I seriously doubt that....I am sure he or she has her reasons for grilling you...Again its there reputation on the line just as its the applicant.

wow i wish i had a professor who pushed me to think beyond cliche answers that 99% of us give off during interviews. for what its worth your prof got a valid point, and it'd be to your advantage if you can think of any unique reason as to why you want to be a dentist. everyone wants to work with their hands, be their own boss, spend more time with their families, blah blah blah bull****. think of something new! i sure as hell didnt!

BirkChick said:

This has not happened to me. From my experience the professors who wrote me LORs wrote me LORs based on how I did in their class and how well they knew me outside of class. I picked professors that I did well in their class AND that I had to interact outside of class (i.e. my undergraduate advisor and graduate advisor). At least in the schools that I applied it didn't seem like my LOR writers had to write about their evaluation of me as a dentist or as a dental student.

Perhaps, this professor really wanted to write you a good LOR so he wanted to determine something concrete that led you to your decision to want to be a dentist. Or perhaps, this professor is a bonafide jerk. Either way you should find people who 1) you did well in their classes and 2) who know you well outside of class. Find people who will write you good LORs

I'm not sure how admins in dental school take those into consideration when it comes to offering an admission vs. waitlisting vs. rejecting an applicant, but as a general rule, (in the real word) a mediocre LOR is enough to do the damage.

Also, for your sake you shouldn't let jerks, whether they be professors or not, get you down. Be secure enough with yourself to know what you want and aim to achieve it. If you want to be a dentist then you will be a dentist regardless of the opinions of anybody or whoever you encounter who tries to discourage you :)

Audio said:
you seem like a really nice and pure person. now just grow a spine and don't take $hit from anyone :thumbup: You sound like you're going into this for the right reasons. Good luck.
Agreed..........I'd like to add that it may be the way you are presenting yourself. Your reasons could be flakey and he wouldn't question you as long as you spoke with confidence. In your interviews don't lose eye contact, don't say uhhhh or uhmmm, and speak strongly in a slightly higher volume then your interviewers (not like you have a hearing problem though). Interviews are about gaging your personality and making sure that you don't have a disfunction. Everyone responds positively to confidence........not in what you say but in how you say it. Don't worry about sounding like an arrogant jerk b/c only arrogant people can come off that way.