Has your education ever been interrupted or affected adversely... question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hk64

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have had a major health issue during my first semester that forced me to take the leave of absence for one year. (And, my grades were very poor during the first semester)
And, definitely I need to write about it clearly.

However, unfortunately, I had another family emergency which caused me to go back to my country and came back after a month later (which means I missed the first 1 month of classes). And, it certainly affected my grades (I received B, B,B, A-). I guess these grades are not too horrible, but I am disappointed because I knew I should and could have done much better due to lower grade from my first semester.

Do you think I should include this "second" excuse about the family emergency as well? And, if I decide to do, should I explain in detail rather than "family emergency"? It has been quite personal issue, and if possible, I wouldn't want to explain too vividly.

I personally think, it is not wise to try to input as many excuses, and it's not that I received D or F on that semester due to family emergency.

But I thought missing class for a month due to family emergency is quite substantial factor that may have affected my academic performance.

Please give your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

When did this occur during your college career? I responded to this same question regarding a bad semester I had my senior year. I did also have a poor first semester in college but I didn't really feel a need to explain that because I improved drastically after that semester. So I would say it depends on when this occurred. If you don't have good semesters afterwards to show a huge improvement then ya I would address it. I wouldn't put too much detail into it (only 600 characters max anyways).

Honestly...you know best. I would pick ONE adverse issue & briefly explain it. putting down too many things even if they are true might seem as if you are trying to lower their expectations of you & trying to get a pass on average grades. Select one of the issues that you think had the greatest effect on your academic performance.only you can answer that since you know all the details & how it affected your grades.

Or...if you still believe the other issue is significant then tactfully mention it in one sentence at the end or something (this family conflicts coupled with my health issue made focusing on school difficult...or Something like that)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Hey I was wondering how that worked out for you...
Few family members passed away my sophomore year & my parents split which resulted in me moving home/commuting and picking up jobs to help pay rent/food for my mom and little brother. I didn't fail anything but achieved only C/C- for sophomore year and B/B+'s after.
I am not sure if this is something I am supposed to mention in there. Any advise would be appreciated